heritage series and reference series

jgatty

I note that most of you folks' systems are built around heritage series speakers. What is your take on the reference line. Also interested to see some recent post on the VMPS RM40, a speaker that draws high praise for a relatively reasonable fee, unfortunately no dealer anywhere near Houston for a listen. Any VMPS experience out there.10.gif

Of course everyone here listens to Heritage -- they're all either old or mostly deaf.9.gif

Seriously, it really just comes down to listening and choosing -- a matter of personal preference. It's like trying to choose between your two favorite flavors of ice cream.

jgatty,

I know that one of the forum members has VMPS subs. John Albright has them along with a pair of LaScallas and Heresies. It is a nice sounding system, and hopefully he will post with some more details and description for you. The lat time I heard his system, he had four LS.

Marvel

Hi John

Welcome to the Forum.

When I was in Indy last June, I got to listen to the RF7 HT setup later in the afternoon without the crowds to give them a good listen. We watched the Matrix scene 29 i think, the one in the lobby shootout, going into the Helicopter rescue scene. The RF7s sounded good, but did lack some of the clerity of my Heritage HT. Listening to the brass shells hitting the ground and the marble exploding just was not as dynamic and exciting sounding.

JM

I have to agree with JMalotky, I auditioned an all Reference Series system at a dealer (Alpha Stereo, Plattsburgh, NY) that had a very nice A/V room dedicated to the Klipsch system. It consisted of RF-7's, RC-7, RS-7's, RF-5's and an RSW-15 while it was indeed tremendous and very clean sounding and played very loud easily I too could tell that I was missing some of the clarity and detail that I am used to in my Heritage HT. The tweeters seem to crackle or break up a little on some of the very loud passages as well though. The RSW-15 shook the walls and vibrated the ceiling tiles pretty good on the "xXx" soundtrack. It was powered by a Denon AVR-5803 and they used a Denon DVD player I am unsure of the model.

Well, being a newbie to expensive, which I know is a relaive term given some of the equipment out there, equipment, I looked at the specs and see a fuller dynamic range for the RF 7's than the Heritage gear. Are these sounds on the outer ends of the spectrum just not perceptable and therefore not as important as the clarity of sound in the midrange, (did I just answer my own question?)?

Oh, by the way, just supposing I wanted to take the plunge and go tubes and Heritage:

1) What is the difference between the Belles and the La Scala; they seem almost identical in performance from Klipsch specs; and,

2) How would one wet up tube amps on the main speakers using my Yamaha RX-V1 so as to get a uniform sound field, given the gross difference in power output of the tube equipment from the ss?

Thanks folks. This is a wonderful place to plan the spending of money that many would not find fiscally resposible.10.gif

"...while it was indeed tremendous and very clean sounding and played very loud easily I too could tell that I was missing some of the clarity and detail that I am used to in my Heritage HT. The tweeters seem to crackle or break up a little on some of the very loud passages as well though."

So which is it you turkey? Tremendous and very clean -- or crackley? :)

I don't care what speakers you are using, after 110db or so, the drivers just start compressing, and Heritage will start squealing like all the rest.

At any rate, I don't know what the hell you heard, but I've had mine pushing the envelope many times, and have never once felt they were crying Uncle. Of course, I'm not running a mass market HT receiver either.

----------------

On 8/8/2003 7:20:46 PM jgatty wrote:

Oh, by the way, just supposing I wanted to take the plunge and go tubes and Heritage:

1) What is the difference between the Belles and the La Scala; they seem almost identical in performance from Klipsch specs; and,

2) How would one wet up tube amps on the main speakers using my Yamaha RX-V1 so as to get a uniform sound field, given the gross difference in power output of the tube equipment from the ss?

Thanks folks. This is a wonderful place to plan the spending of money that many would not find fiscally resposible.
10.gif

----------------

John

The LAS and Belle are almost the same speaker. Belle just looks better (built for and named after PWK's first wife).

I built my HT arround my beloved Khorns. Used is the best way to go for pprice. Bought most of the speakers off EBAY. Some off fellow memebers here. Heresys pairs from $275-$400 regularly. LAS pairs $600-$1300. Belles a bit more. Khorns $1000-$2300 but watch for shipping pick up a must for most Heritage speakers.

Like Dean posts, most of us do not run standard AV receivers although that is an OK place to start. Tubes are great for listening, for HT I would run a high quality SS amp (look at my sig below). Incorporating receivers and amps going to components is what a lot of us do here. I just sold a bunch of my old amps to easylistener on this BBS he is using them with his receiver.

As for Loudness, I run peaks at 90-100 db usually. The heritage have a BIGGER sound especailly the bigger Heritage speakers at lower SPL levels, reguardless of the "numbers".

Where are you located, maybe you can find someone here in your neck of the woods to give you a listen.

JM

I am in Houston. I have access to a loaner pair of Belles for the foseeable future, but I don't have room to match up the rest of the HT with Heritage speakers. What would I use for a center and rears? I currently have some KG 4.2's and RS-3's.10.gif

I'll throw my $0.02 in here with JM as well. I didn't get to hear the Matrix on the RF-7 system there in Indy, but did get to hear the demo with "Ronin" on some of the new RF line. Very good, but I thought my Chorus/Forte/Academy HT had a bit more detail. And I truly love my K-horns. For the price, used Heritage is the way to go. Probably a good idea about trying to find some local so as to not deal with shipping. And then you get to hear them that much quicker. 2.gif

John,

I have the RF-7 and Chorus-II. The Chorus is similar to the Heritage speakers in that it is a 3-way design. I listen primarily to classical music.

The difference in approach gives the RF-7 a smoother response from 2KHz up, because there is no hid-high crossover. The Chorus-II seems to have a little more high-end coloration (although that may be my amps) but much better overall dynamic coherence top to bottom. RF-7s have powerful bass. Chorus bass doesn't go quite as low, but is much faster .. more horn-like in its speed and dynamic capability. Lower midrange in the Chorus-IIs is where the speaker has an obvious advantage because of the mid horn. With cellos and pianos there is no contest.

I use the RF-7 in a smaller, near-field monitor arrangement. That way I am located at a distance where the dynamic capabilities of the horn and cones most match. I think the speakers are spectacular.

I use the Chorus-IIs in a larger, 15' x 30' living room for near field and general room-filling listening. They have a big, full-range dynamic sound. I think the speakers are also spectacular.

If I could only have one speaker .. it would have to be the Chorus. But life is not so hard, and for my office system, the RF-7s are perfect .. actually preferable because the Chorus would be too big and might not vevn work well in the small environment.

Both speakers require a good corner so the rear radiating bass elements can be effective. Belles and LaScala don't need a corner

Both speakers are, in the Klipsch tradition, very revealing of source and amplifier characteristics, flaws, and mismatches. Most of the gross complaints about harshness, grain, horn-sound, etc, about either speaker, is almost certainly the electrical signal as seen by the speaker. To make any Klipsch speaker sound right you have to have good sources and excellent amplification that has low distortion at low (below 1 Watt) power. This is why many Klipsch owners use tube amps. Transistor designs tent to have excessive distortion below a Watt.

Hopefully that's some help.

leok

There is a VMPS dealer in Austin: http://www.sedonaskysound.com/

Julian is the owner and he will help you explore VMPS...very nice person. Try bi-amping tubes and SS with the rm40's.

The Dallas area DIY/kit/assembler GR Research http://www.gr-research.com/

makes a tall line array called the Alpha which competes with the VMPS rm40.

Their site also promotes DODD Audio and their all triode, class A, push-pull, no feedback, tube amp using 5687 output tubes and 6SN7 driver tubes.

The up coming Onix Strata is very promising in this type of speaker design and ONIX is working on a deal to provide cabinets from their new Asian factory to VMPS.

These tall speakers may need a pretty big room.

Don't forget Cornwalls when shopping for Heritage. They can be as low as $600 and provide more bass extension.

I recently purchased the RF7 line (fronts, center and surrounds). AWESOME !!!!! is the one word that describes it. I have a Denon 3803 receiver, and both music and movies sound AWESOME !!!!

Go and listen to a setup. Bring your own DVD and CD to watch and hear what you want to, and compare the sound and price with the different combinations.

I think the 3803 is a very versitle AVR and the ideal starting point. Add the Ref7 and matching surrounds and a great HT is in place. I've heard the RF7 w/3803 but mostly with Elite 49Txi. One day I'll need to hear them with something high-end like Dean's setup.

My only negative to the setup above is that I don't know if it sounds any better than my Outlaw 1050 ($350) with Cornwalls ($860) and 4 Heresys ($800/4) which costs a fraction of the price. I added a $350 current used value Carver C500 250 watt amp for HT. For 2-channel I have the Scott/Dynaco tube gear.

I guess form factor and preference need to steer one's selection.