copy protected CD's...BAH!!!

jdm56

I fail to see any relationship between President G.Bush and copyright issues and Saddam's murderous rule.Maybe Saddams evil a$$ kids broke too many copy laws,thats the REAL reason they're FULL OF LEAD,thanks Metallica.

Fair Use usually has the implication that the copy won't be playing the same time as the original. Like you keep a copy for your car, and no one is home listening while you play it.

Damon,

Blank music CDs have a royalty on them. Regular CD-Rs do not. Most stand alone music CD burners require the more expensive music CDs. I don't have one, but have been told there is a way around it. Ask the RIAA how the royalties are split up. It is probably based on certifiable number of sales, i.e., a band, artist, etc. who has .01 percent of CD sales will get .01 percent of the blank music CD royalty payments. No one will get much, but it will give someone a job.

Marvel

----------------

On 8/16/2003 8:52:52 AM foldedhorn wrote:

You should be on Bush's why we haven’t found any weapons of mass distruction team. What a spin you put on things. Oh ...well.... No, we haven’t even found a spent shell casing in the desert but what is 250 dead soldiers among casual friends??

As I said you are infringing on copyrighted material.

----------------

Just what the f&^k does Bush have to do with any of this - we are discussing copyright here, not the stupid war that I really don't give a damn about anymore anyway? It happened - it's done, and the world is just going to have to suck it up and move on.

And spin?!? My fat-@$$! It seems this site from Duke University's law school can explain it far better than I can. Especially in paragraph ten where it says:

"The AHRA also provides for a royalty tax36 of up to $8 per new digital recording machine and 3 percent of the price of all digital audiotapes or discs.37 This tax is paid by the manufacturers of digital media devices and distributed to the copyright owners whose music is presumably being copied.38 In consideration of this tax, copyright owners agree to forever waive the right to claim copyright infringement against consumers using audio recording devices in their homes.39 This is commensurate with the fair use exception to copyright law, which allows consumers to make copies of copyrighted music for non-commercial purposes."

I am not spinning anything - it is what the law allows. I will defend my fair-use rights from these greedy, self-rightous types that seem to want to lock everything up so tight that the I'd have to insert a quarter everytime I want to listen to something.

----------------

On 8/15/2003 9:34:37 PM foldedhorn wrote:

It is too bad that it did not blow your computer up. Your infringing on copyrights.

----------------

That's a pretty focked up attitude, dude. Fair use is fair use. A spare copy for personal use is completely legit, as is making mixed CD's for personal use. The copy-protection scheme is abridging fair use in the name of preventing piracy.

The answer to "free distribution" piracy is simply to offer the consumer a better product. Make them actually want to go out and buy it. Offer value-added CD's with bonus materials. Offer a CD with more than two good songs on it fer chrissakes. Skip CD's altogether and offer music DVDs with optional live footage.

I have no intentions whatsoever of releasing any more CD's. You can still buy a CD of my techno material at Artistlaunch.com because it was all done in 16/44.1 when I produced it, but my rock stuff will be released on 2-channel HDCD, and as soon as I can get the money for the software package, 5.1 channel music DVD (not DVD-A - I'm not interested in restricting my audience). I'd much rather offer the consumer a better product for their money, rather than trying to bully them into buying something inferior.

Back to the point, though - the man bought the CD, and wanted to make a copy for his car so the original wouldn't get all scratched up (as they so often do in the car) - you've got a really screwy perspective thinking he should somehow be punished for that.

The point has been made that we as consumers are already paying a tax on digital recorders and blank media. This goes to supposedly compensate copyright holders for lost revenue due to home taping. It seems to me that this basically entitles us to tape, so long as it is within the constraints of "fair use". Now for the same copyright holders to turn around and try to sell hobbled "CD's" that can't be copied, seems to me a case where we are being forced to pay the piper, but then the dirty sob ain't pipin'!14.gif

...And what any of this has to do with Dubya or Iraq escapes me.

Wouldn't it be a better world if people who made records loved music more than money? I am afraid things really started going downhill when the lawyers and accountants took over the music biz.

What ruined radio? The love of money. That is what it all boils down to. The same thing with the record biz. Too many in it have got their priorities wrong. I really think that if they could figure out how to do it, there are people who would have us paying a royalty every time we so much as whistled Dixie.

skonopa what does Bush have too do with this NOTHING. but YOU are the one putting a spin on the law. YOU stated:

Also, contrary to belief, you are really not supposed to give it away to a couple of your friends either, but to be honost, I really don't see any real harm being done with the casual copying that goes one between friends.

it is all about spin and you are spinning the law I'm not.

James,

You mentioned you had Nero that was packed with your TDK CD-RW drive. Since Nero 6 just came out, I will assume (dangerous of course) that you have version 5x. Updates are here:

http://www.nero.com/us/631933457317970.html

Might help out. I use Nero at work, and most of the time it is an excellent program, but quirky on occasion.

Marvel

----------------

On 8/19/2003 4:49:27 PM foldedhorn wrote:

skonopa what does Bush have too do with this NOTHING. but YOU are the one putting a spin on the law. YOU stated:

Also, contrary to belief, you are really not supposed to give it away to a couple of your friends either, but to be honost, I really don't see any real harm being done with the casual copying that goes one between friends.

it is all about spin and you are spinning the law I'm not.

----------------

Again, I am not spinning $#!+ here. Try re-reading what I said. I first stated what the law said, then I stated my opinion that I don't really think casual copying between friends is causing much harm and may in fact be helping by exposing more people to more music! Again, I AM NOT SPINNING ANYTHING - JUST STATING MY OPINION!!!.

Whether you agree with it or not is another thing and frankly, I really don't care if you agree with it. Just like I don't agree with your attitude with that "I hope your computer blows up" statement.

New talent??? There are a few new bright stars on the list.

Pollstar Concert Hotwires Top Touring Bands as of August 21,2003

1: The White Stripes

2: Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

3: Radiohead

4: Aerosmith / KISS

5: The Rolling Stones .

6: Eric Clapton

7: David Bowie

8: Lewis Black

9: Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

10: Bob Dylan

11: Eagles

12: Fleetwood Mac

13: Cher

14: 50 Cent

15: Journey

16: "Lollapalooza '03"

17: Metallica

18: Queensryche

19: Jewel

20: Neil Young

21: "Ozzfest 2003"

22: Lucinda Williams

23: Dixie Chicks

24: Bret Michaels

25: A Perfect Circle

26: Jason Mraz

27: Red Hot Chili Peppers

28: Coldplay

29: Dave Matthews Band

30: Gov't Mule

31: Pearl Jam

32: Iron Maiden

33: The Flaming Lips

34: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

35: Van Morrison

36: "Vans Warped Tour '03" (52 Bands)

37: Bon Jovi

38: Type O Negative

39: Kenny Chesney

40: Lynyrd Skynyrd

41: Willie Nelson

42: Stryper

43: Goo Goo Dolls

44: A.F.I.

45: 311

46: Toby Keith

47: Evanescence

48: Kenny Wayne Shepherd

49: Def Leppard

----------------

On 8/16/2003 8:32:17 AM synthfreek wrote:

I've always felt that the "there just isn't any good music/bands out there" excuse is a total cop-out. It's true that nearly everything on MTV is embarrassing but there ARE other outlets for new music. Come on moon..2 CDs a year???!!! Are you being serious? If so, let me know so I can shoot you over a list of a TON of great CDs/bands.

----------------

I would probably need this list as I cannot find much from the new generation that isn't sugary sweet or just plain bad. The biggest touring names and the biggest sellers right now are all bands from the 70's. Aerosmith, Kiss, Bruce Springsteen, the Eagles, Stones...etc etc.... If you are over 10 years old, there is no way you can listen to much of today's music and I just cannot handle Rap, so there is not much out there today.

----------------

On 8/21/2003 2:08:24 PM chinoloco wrote:

I would probably need this list as I cannot find much from the new generation that isn't sugary sweet or just plain bad. The biggest touring names and the biggest sellers right now are all bands from the 70's.

----------------

You have to remember a lot of it is a question of taste... what's great for one person is "plain bad" for the next. Radio plays mainstream... you can't expect pop music to stand still in one era, even if it's your generation. Face it, you no longer listen to mainstream... and just as your parents disliked your music, you have come to dislike your children's music. I find that with the advent of the internet, you can find tons of bands which will match your tastes even though they may not be on Top40.

For starters I'd advise anyone complaining that they can't find anything new to do a little research at: www.allmusic.com on the bands that they already like. From there you'll learn about the styles which they belong, the people involved, who they worked it, reviews, etc... and everything is linked. From there venture into the "style" links as well as "followers". Take your time, there is a wealth of info on there !

Now, with your notepad full of possible leads, and their most popular songs... get on a P2P network and download some samples. Take note of those you don't like... and those you do like. You can even order their CD's and have them in your mailbox two days later.

I haven't even gotten into all your other research options like online-radio, searching online music stores, specialized online music charts, searching on P2P networks, etc...

Personally I've always liked to try and experience new things... and non-mainstream music was very difficult to explore given standard radio/TV/magazines before the internet. Now it's just a few keystrokes away...

I swear it's never been easier.

Rob

Same thread, new twist: Recently, a I was wandering around on the Pioneer web site, drooling over the goodies, I noticed they no longer showed any digital audio recorders at all. Hm...Then later, I checked out the Marantz web site, and their digital audio recorders had somehow vanished, too. What's up here? I've got two possible scenarios: Both brands just happen to be in the process of "out with the old, in with the new", or else they are both in full retreat in the face of the ever-growing legal net being wielded by "Big Music". Conspiracy theory, anyone?7.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like some serious frustration here. Obviously too many people depend too much on their computers for their musical needs. I don't care who made the CD, or whether it is so-called copy protected or not. If I can listen to it, I can copy it, period. Computer not needed. If I get the music off the internet, I can burn it. Again, computer hard drive and computer CD burner not needed. I can take any format of music and transfer it to a CD, no problems. Total investment for this process is way under $1000, actually under $500. I'm not bragging, or meaning to make anyone mad, just stating the plain and simple facts. Enjoy!