What have happened to all the Eico fans?

Guy Landau

Craig,

Maybe a reading comprehension lesson is in order. There is nothing snobbish or negative in my post. My "noise" is not in the air! You again with feeling the need to "stick up for yourself". I'm not full of anything but the desire to enjoy as much Jazz music as I can every day. I've never advocated anyone spending money for any hardware based on it's cost alone.

In terms of cost, my system is certainly not high buck or snobbish, and I did it one piece at a time, after a ton of research, and opinions, and reviews. I'm certainly not among the "well to do" in this economy. No free ride to achieve what I definitely consider to be a good 2 channel system. Not the "greatest" by any measure, but "good" by my and some others standard. Your hair trigger attitude to attach one of your labels to someone who has a different opinion than yours about hardware, or cost, has appeared more than once or twice in this forum. But yet again, another circular argument. Too bad you can't get past the BS in your own head to understand what someone is really saying. I can agree that I'll seldom post anything after one of yours. It's a waste of my time. I'll spare everyone any further painful reading on this issue.

Klipsch out.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JazzASS

Some things never change.

Craig, I'll bet YOU still have not heard a great SET amp for any length of time. But then again, it probably wouldn't matter. All rectifiers are the same and sound the same, ..yeah, ..., right! As PWK said, BS!

Some people like Pepsi, some prefer Coke. Scotts don't rule the PP world, and there are many who prefer the HF81 to Scott anything. Learn to live with it.

Go stick you head in the mud. I never said a damn word to you and haven't in months !! This is what you have to say upon reentering the forum. I think the place is better off without a snobbish nit picking a$$holes like you !!!

Maybe you need some lessons in politeness

I could care less what your system is or has been its none of my business. I have never attacked your opinion or brought up silly things that were argued out months ago and many people told you in the thread about rectifiers that in the sistuation the poster was asking about you were wrong and not in the least bit qualified to be saying anything and in that thread YOU ATTACKED ME AGAIN YOUR THE ONE WITH A PROBLEM NOT ME rather than just stating your opinion you have to Attack me. You are childish and petty to say the least.

Kelly I hate to say but you tend to draw the worst people around you trying to rally you back to arguing with everyone for there entertainment I'm just glad your not letting them drag you into there low behavior. I just wish I could also !

I'm out of this thread !!

Jeez... This thread is even more a surrealistic experience than my last one with this beautiful naked brunette giving a show from her window while I was talking to Kelly on the phone. It's hard enough to follow the endless flow of weird sounds coming from Kelly's mouth without having this distraction to really overflow my brain computing ability.

Yeah the Ole Ramones sound a bit sedated (from their own words) compare to other stuff from the 80s. Still their early days were good. I saw them around their Mondo Bizarro release and obviously their better days were behind them. Dee-Dee wasn't in the band but seing Joey saying 1...2...3...4... then bursting in a 1min 30 sec song really made my day! When I see kids thinking than punk rock was invented by Green Day, let say I am a bit depressed.

I am glad you lead me to the Replacements. Only Husker Du was know to me (saddly enough my Husker Du vynils were the only vynils missing from the LP collection I bought back to the guy I sold ti to).

It's a sad thing that limited budget makes it hard for these small indie bands to be known outside their country (if not their states). Same thing here for the Secrétaires Volantes, Galaxy-500, Camel Clutch, etc...

I started a "please kill this thread now" post at work this afternoon, and I said, "Nah, this one's burned itself out ... Don't start trying to play UN Peacekeeper again."

My shoulders slumped when I just saw that this is alive and well. Let's just drop this conversation as it has lowered the level of discourse to a level we haven't seen in months. C'mon guys, we're all better than this ...

For my own part, I departed with my BELOVED Eico because I'm the only real loony listener in the household. My dear wife indulges me, and Jack is always hanging on my leg. He has potential. But it felt wrong to let such a magical amp gather dust on a bench for perpetuity. I asked my brother if he wanted it (it was meant for him initially), but he's happy as a pig in a poke with his Cambridge Sound Works cube system. I'll fight that battle another day :)

I'm lucky, with my schedule and young family, to get five good hours of listening in during a week. I'm focusing my attention on my beautiful new gear, which leaves me wanting nothing other than a new listening room.

Hell, Robinson, I thought it was picking up steam with this talk of the great underground music of the 80s. Sure, ole Craig and Jazman got a bit vaklempt, but it sort of felt like the old days, with some insane music for punctuation.

Lessard's description of the lovely lass in the window across the street, this with a French accent that was peppered with sighs, made our discussion seem rather surrealistic, especially since Audrey had just come from the shower as well, and I suddenly thought he was looking through MY PHONE and not out his window! The Quebec Swine...

Husker Du and horns is a scary combo, especially if there is any top end or mid glare. They have a unique tone that is ALL THEIRS, appearing much as a cross between a 737 preparing for takeoff and a push mower in a tin sewer pipe about 6 feet high.Chris, I dont think you would ever listen to David Crosby the same way again. Hell, the last time I saw ole David interviewed, he was drooling at the time. HE still has his voice, however.

Ask ole Jeff what he was drooling over a few month back... yep, that ole HF-81 thru his Lamhorns. "This thing if F---in unbelievable! SET is for loons!" heh...

kh

----------------

On 8/13/2003 8:14:50 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Sure, ole Craig and Jazman got a bit vaklempt, but it sort of felt like the old days, with some insane music for punctuation.

Chris, I dont think you would ever listen to David Crosby the same way again. Hell, the last time I saw ole David interviewed, he was drooling at the time. HE still has his voice, however.

Ask ole Jeff what he was drooling over a few month back... yep, that ole HF-81 thru his Lamhorns. "This thing if F---in unbelievable! SET is for loons!" heh...

kh

----------------

Well, sheeeeeet ... I just had that feeling of nausea that says, "Here we go again ..." ... I love debate as much as the next guy, but it seemed the "I'm taking it personal" scale was tipping pretty high.

As far as Jeff is concerned, I HOPE he wasn't drooling over the -81 while he was finishing my amps :) The Eico sounds great, but it's not in the same league as what I have fired up now. If I wasn't such a lost soul, I would have kept it, but something anal in me advised to clear out what was not going to be used. Sad, but true. Jeff lamented this as well, but NOTE! He didn't offer to buy my -81, so what gives? At least for parts for the "Super 81", it would have been a no-brainer.

Yeah, I know about ole David ... Was a miracle that he scored a liver as an alchie, but I bought the album because my 4 year old (now 14) loved the lead track "Hero" ... Funny, had it in the car's CD-shooter tonight as we were heading out to dinner, she found it, fired it up, and immediately started singing along with it even though it's been 10 years and nine stages of growth later (she's definitely a woman these days). I browsed the cuts and really thought a few of them had merit. He's got pipes, and with Graham singing on the overdub's, it was pretty good.

One of my fav's for late night listening is still Crosby/Nash, Page 43 ... Pretty sublime.

Pass it 'round again,

It's the same old circle,

You see, it's got to be ...

It says right here, on page 43 ..."

I can't tell you how many st0ned nights there were with that one.

Ah, the good ole days.

Well, Chris, if you aren't into arguments on the forum, I would suggest you not say that it was a miracle that David Crosby scored a liver. What it is, is outrageous that the organ donor banks do not differentiate between people who bring their problems on themselves, for instance David Crosby ruining his liver by alcoholism, and someone else who just happens to get liver disease.

If the world were a just place, David Crosby would have been tied for last place in line for getting a new liver. Would you want your liver donated to someone who is going to go out and drink holes in it, like he did his last one? Or should it go to, say, an 11-year-old kid with a diseased liver?

----------------

On 8/13/2003 8:35:39 PM Chris Robinson wrote:

Sad, but true. Jeff lamented this as well, but NOTE! He didn't offer to buy my -81, so what gives? At least for parts for the "Super 81", it would have been a no-brainer.

----------------

Yep, if I remember well I told you to think about it twice before selling this ugly duck.

Having already one of these, combined with a leaky basement in a 129 years old building, prevented me to make you a firm offer in the case you would sell it!

Well combined this to the fact that I already have two of these to fix here...

But these amps sound marvelous and I shook my head in amazement after listening to Kelly and buying one of these (I should listen to this froot more often I guess).

----------------

On 8/13/2003 9:01:00 PM paulparrot wrote:

Well, Chris, if you aren't into arguments on the forum, I would suggest you not say that it was a miracle that David Crosby scored a liver. ----------------

Paul, you misinterpreted my comment. You and I are on THE SAME PAGE. It was a miracle that he scored a liver BECAUSE he is an alcoholic.

It's sad that money and fame can push you to the front of the line.

----------------

On 8/13/2003 9:28:14 PM tbabb wrote:

It's too bad that the French lady accross the way isn't next to Kelly instead of Jeff....

If she was, there would be pics of her posted here compliments of Kelly and his digital camera.

- tb

----------------

Guess what's the FIRST thing Kelly asked me after I told him so...

Yep...

Kelly's thoughts and comments over the last couple of years convinced many of us to go out and get a tube amp to go with our Heritage Klipsch speakers. For the price, many of us decided to go the vintage route and chose either an Eico or a Scott. The main reasons: good quality iron, value for the dollar and a very good sound.

Some migrated to SET amps and have enjoyed them, some others have stuck with push pull amps to rock the house. SET amps have definate advantages, but also cost more, $1600 - 3000 US, I won't translate that into Canadian. The vintage push pull amp gave us a chance to experience tubes at an affordable price, a definate win-win situation.

Either way we have great sound, love the fullness of the tube sound compared to the harshness of SS and have enjoyed many hours of bliss.

Does it really matter whether I have a Scott and somebody else has an Eico and someone else has a Moondog? We have something we enjoy. Relax, crack open a bottle of your favourite beverage and treasure the beautiful music you are listening to. At least that is what I am going to do.

Don

----------------

On 8/13/2003 9:10:25 PM painful reality wrote:

----------------

On 8/13/2003 8:35:39 PM Chris Robinson wrote:

Yep, if I remember well I told you to think about it twice before selling this ugly duck.

----------------

Yes, indeed you did ... I was taking license on that one ...

Honestly, the HF-81 is a magical little vintage piece, and I loved mine. I think I wrote quite a few emails to Kelly on this point. However, I've sunk a lot of dinero into this hobby, and had a lot of really nice amps laying around, and thought that this one ought to go to a loving home.

Jeff, I didn't think for a moment you were snickering over the Horus vs the HF-81, and secondly, your quote was (verbatim), "DON'T SELL THE EICO".

I hope that clears the air.

My bad.

Chris,

My apologies for misunderstanding. I don't know that it was fame or money that got Crosby a liver that he didn't deserve, though. My understanding of the situation is that the donor bank just does not concern itself with determining the merit of the case at hand, and just looks at it as a life is a life.

I think this is the wrong approach. A guy who has recklessly thrown his health away does not deserve to get an organ that someone else, completely a victim due to disease beyond his control, would benefit from.

----------------

On 8/13/2003 10:05:31 PM paulparrot wrote:

I think this is the wrong approach. A guy who has recklessly thrown his health away does not deserve to get an organ that someone else, completely a victim due to disease beyond his control, would benefit from.

----------------

Definitively I love this thread. So dysfunctional I feel right at home...

In the same logic, anyone who doesn't exercice 20 minutes 3 times a week shouldn't have a heart transplant?

Where do you draw the limit?

KFC and McDo users... No transplant for you!

This forum never stops amazing me. How the heck can we co from

What happen to the HF-81 fans

Total war

Punk rock group

naked women out are shop windows (man would I really be backed up then)

Liver transplants

All in one evening in the same thread 1.gif

Aweosme isn't it . I think I need a entire body transplant !

Craig

Jeff We want picture I know you have a digital camera !!

----------------

On 8/13/2003 10:58:16 PM NOSValves wrote:

This forum never stops amazing me. How the heck can we co from

What happen to the HF-81 fans

Total war

Punk rock group

naked women out are shop windows (man would I really be backed up then)

Liver transplants

All in one evening in the same thread
1.gif

Aweosme isn't it . I think I need a entire body transplant !

Craig

Jeff We want picture I know you have a digital camera !!

----------------

My wife had the camera. Life has a cruel sense of humour as it was the only freakin time she took it with her since I bought it!

Doesn't *anyone* here have a stinkin' job??? This thread, which I've now read in it's entirety (and I'm jonsin' to hear an Eico), is incredibly long. Not only in amount of posts but in how long some are! And it's just over 24 hours old! Unbelievable!

Thank goodness this hotel has free high speed internet access! I'm off to get QuickTime 6.

Mace