What have happened to all the Eico fans?

Guy Landau

Snobbery is a self indulged state of mind, usually accompanied by those with a low self esteem that feel the need to elevate themselves above the rest by saying "mine is better that yours", or "look what I have and you don't, sometimes maybe not in so many words.

If you feel the need, so be it, but there will always be that someone with more.

Tom1.gif

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus.... I dont see ANYTHING remotely involving snobbery with any of the people/gear here. I respect Guy's ears more than most on this forum, this due to a wider range of experience with all sorts of components not to mention some time behind the wheel, even if we have different tastes concerning some of the above. I dont think any of his purchases are based on snobbery at all. He did cross the line a bit with that first response regarding Craig, but tried to reel it in a bit with later posts. Still, there were many statements from quite a few that went over the top.

I can only second this opinion regarding snobbery in relation to Jazman, someone that I have always thought kept an open mind (and ears) to suggestions, not always agreeing but sure to give them a try, even if it meant changing tune at a later date. From what I know of him, snob is one of the last words I would use to describe his character or the root of his choices.

This thread has really brought back some sad memories. The forums are a great equalizer as someone with limited experience can achieve the same weight as someone with much more, this evident across the board, with no one immune. WE have all been guilty at one time or another. Still, I have found the 2 Channel forum to be especially inflicted although the Audio Asylum can hold its own. Perhaps we should take a second to reread what we post, for a variety of reasons.

Perspective and humor should always be along for the ride in this place. Add to that list, some sort of professionalism and sense of decorum.

kh

Bennie Green? Meanwhile, I was just getting off listening to this, one of my favorite bands back in the early 80s; if you saw them live, it was a treat, that is, if they lasted more than 10 minutes on stage without a fight breaking out, this between the band!

Those with cable and quicktime have fun. Meet The Replacements. High Fidelity, my friends!

22MB download - download, then make full screen and turn up your little ****box. Most will balk. What imaging! Heh...

The Replacements video - I hate Music & Stuck in the Middle

kh

Jazzman.

The fact of the matter is you have had a problem with me from get street because I don't advocate spending a arm and leg for gear but by the same token I could careless what you or anyone else spends on gear and have no desire to own the gear you have. The problem I have with you and a few others is your noise up in the air acting like this more expensive gear is required to achieve really good sound. If all it takes is myself posting to get rid of you so be it. I personally think you are completely full of yourself !!

Next you will be advising me how I should use my credit cards !!

Just like Kelly points out as usual I'm not the one that started this pissing match and the ones involved once again can not stand someone that will indeed stand up for themselves so they start throwing name calling and negative comments toward the person with some back bone.

Every time you post anymore which is indeed not very often its negative. I think you need to make some changes in your life because obviously you are a miserable person anymore.

I'm sure next your going to threaten me with your superior sharpened deadly keyboard skills again resembles your thoughts on your gear better than everyone else !

Craig

Kelly,

Sorry to say but yes this place really has not changed much. I could careless what people own and never say "this is the End all and that is the End all" I just defend attacks against what I know can sound very good. I do however say I don't think 3.5 watt SET will ever do it for my taste.

Above 100db SS

After all that reading; yes what equipment sounds good to you is what you should use or purchase "To each his own". I use this Forum to find new ideas for purchases. You guy's need to lighten up a bit, there is too much reading to get to the point. I have SS 240wpc run both digital and analog through an EQ with Forte II's for HT and stereo. The wife loves it for her "Phantum of The Opera" and "Les Miserables" go figure. I use it for "Rock n Roll" when I need a pick me up. You should hear it a 110db's.

Two channel I am trying to learn through this Forum. I have 1979 Cw's, MX110 pre, Dynaco ST70 and Dynaco PAS3, Phillips 963a. Lets stick to reviews and good information. Here's what I picked up:

Scott 299 or 299a -great sound for the money

Eico HF81 - could be a better sound, at least equal?

Mirantz - big money for some peolples budget

What domyou guys think of the snoby high priced Mcintosh tube amps like the MC240 or the MC30? worht the money or is there something better?

How's that for reading

Kelly,

You really have to go into detail as to what you find so fascinating about the video and sound !! Enlighten me please. I'm not being funny here but serious. I have what I consider some of the best PC sound you can buy for a reasonable buck although I rarely listen to it 7.gif I found that there is no imaging on that recording at all at least on thee old Promedia 5.1.

Craig

Speaking of HF-81's,

I still do not have a tube amp in my system, so if anyone would be willing to donate one I would be most appreciative.

For the time being my heresy's are going to have to make do being powered by low end Yamaha solid state.

Peace, Josh

I saw "The Placemats" live in Santa Barbara (I think?) about 15-16 years ago. A friend of mine was working in a band called "Waitin' on Joe" (Joe was the drummer) and he thought they were the best R&R band EVER. There were no fights on stage that night, but there was TENSION everwhere.

I liked them a lot. Even bought a record that I still have called "Let it Be"--catchy name for an LP, eh? Nice reocrd---a little country, a dose of punk and A LOT of angst.

I don't know why, but this pal of mine ALWAYS called "The Replacements"

"The Placemats"--is this some kind of "inside" joke or something?

Holy ****, Craig.... lordy. I was hoping anyone who saw that would know it was tongue in cheek regarding imaging or high fidelity; The Replacements were one of the all-time great punk/trash/noise bands of the 80s, hailing from Minneapolis, MN. That video represented them in the VERY early years as in almost at the BEGINNING in 81. Paul Westerberg went on to more tame song writing, but I think The Replacements were hard to top, with 15 yr old Tommy Stinson on bass and brother Bobby on lead guitar. If you saw them live, you never knew what would happen next. Bands like The Replacements were a Midwest improvement over The Ramones, with more talent and more youthful abandon, not to mention a sense of humor, and a keen wit buried in the lyrics for those willing to persevere. Bob Stinson died of a drug overdose years later. I once saw them in Raleigh, NC at a stating Rink converted to a impromptu stage. They lasted 15 minutes before breaking into a drunken brawl with themselves. Art? Indeed. At the time, it seemed like the perfect encapsulation of the total joys and abandon of Rock and roll, with the Arena Rock God image tossed so far to the wayside, it was virtually imperceptible.

I will give you credit for giving it a go. You are one of the few that always do this for downloads like this.

kh

ps- Most of the time, you hear people call them "the Mats" Perhaps, that is what you were remembering? "Let it Be" was a great album... Allan, you always surprise me a bit. I think you and ole Craig were the only ones that attempted that Guv'ner download as well!

----------------

On 8/13/2003 3:22:28 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Those with cable and quicktime have fun. Meet
The Replacements
. High Fidelity, my friends!

22MB download - download, then make full screen and turn up your little ****box. Most will balk. What imaging! Heh...

kh

----------------

Glorious era. Reminded me of the shows at the marvelous Bar D'Auteuil in Quebec (now defunct... the place collapsed in the true meaning of the term)

Spend some times listening to the other tunes. Thanks for this link. This is high fidelity to the spirit of the music indeed...

The downloadable file WAS a VIDEO live performance, dating back to 1981. They were playing with Husker Du, another ALL TIME great.... A one-two combo of Replacements and Husker Du would be almost impossible to top. I saw Husker Du in mid 80s and will never forget that show either. They didnt come down our way too often....

The first song "I hate Music" had one of the all time great lines: "I hate music; it's got too many notes"

Another great line in STUCK IN THE MIDDLE: "Burgers on the grill, oh what a thrill... Hand full of dreams, nothing in my pocket..."

Makes me cry....

That second song in that live video (YOU NEED QUICKTIME 6)is STUCK IN THE MIDDLE, another mess that is a beauty to behold. With Quicktime, you can make that FULL SCREEN without loss of picture detail, and listen at top volume. I repeated it 5 times just to get the feeling again...

----------------

On 8/13/2003 4:20:43 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Bands like The Replacements were a Midwest improvement over The Ramones, with more talent and more youthful abandon, not to mention a sense of humor, and a keen wit buried in the lyrics for those willing to persevere.

----------------

Definitively more creative than the venerable Ramones. Nevertheless seing the Ramones (the only time they ever went in Quebec City during their "Out of New York Tour") was definitively a blast.

Kelly,

Did you hear the HUSKER DU radio ID I sent you on CD along with a lot more?...."This is Bob from Husker Du and you are listening ...." They came by our station after a local show. The Violent Femmes was my fav interview....GBH was kinda fun, too.

I have all the Replacement albums...one of my all time favs although early you had to sort through some of the thrash. "Let it be" is on all most ever reviewer's list as a 5-star lp and all time classic...and I'm speaking about the REPLACEMENTS not the Beatles. :)

I've seen the Huskers several times and haven't seen a more powerful and explosive live set...if bottled their energy would be a replacement fuel for the north central US.

From the early days I liked "Go", "Color Me Impressed", and others....

Getting Dean to listen to anything besides Journey has been a goal of mine for three years... heh.

OK, so the Ramones were great live too. But by the time most of us saw them in the mid to late 80s, they had been around the bend and back for more. To think that the Ramones are actually what started the Punk movement, more or less, is amazing. The Brits saw them when they ambled overseas and the whole damn country turned upsidedown!!! Hell, they were bigger in Britain than they were in NYC! I saw the Ramones for the first time live (I had been playing modified versions of their songs in bands since the mid 70s) in the early 80s. The crowd almost burned the club down!

Still, they seem contained and sedate next to bands like the Replacements. But you are right, it was a glorious time when popular music SUCKED so bad, enabling this to flourish!

kh

ps - KJ, just saw your post. YES! I did hear that...I listened to that whole CD. It really did bring back memories of that time. I still have it sitting here on my desk, believe it or not. How do you explain Husker Du to the poor tikes that think Smashing Pumpkins and Sound Garden were the beginning and the end? And the crap they pass as metal or "Alternative" is almost candy coated in its packaging. It leaves me feeling sapped and lifeless.

The Ramones. Saw them live once too--the Whisky A-Go-Go in Hollywood circa 1977. Still have a couple of their LPs. There's a song of theirs with the best rhyme in history:

DDT did a job on me

Now I am a real sicky

Guess I'm gonna have to tell 'em

That I got no cerebellum.

At least that's how I remember the lines. Brilliant . . .