H&K

kuisis

I may be wrong, but I think the only real difference between the harman/kardon 730 and 930 receivers are about 5 watts per channel (the HK-730 @ 40WX2 as opposed to the HK-930 @ 45WX2...the HK-430 is 25WX2). Maybe the HK-930 has an extra control or two, but that's about it. They're all great sounding receivers from the '70s, and a worthy amp for any Klipsch, especially Heritage horns.

The 730 is an excellent receiver and sounds great with Klipsch Heritage equipment. I also used it as a pre with a Carver TFM35x and both pieces complimented each other well. It is no match though for my Scott 299C or Mac 6100. I currently have 2 730's (got a little nutz on e-bay) and will be parting with both soon.

My preference is the H&K G3. It's pretty scarce these days and commands a premium price, but OH what a sound!!! There's nothing like it. For ones on a tighter budget the H&K 91 is some cheaper, but haven't been sold new in this country since about 1994(?). For the compact gear enthusiast the H&K MP-5 is great but is now strictly a collector's item and very pricey! Like always there are some foreign made copies available with varying quality. Some of the Greek-licensed copies of the G3/91 are supposed to be well-made, but stay away from the others. 2.gif

The topology between the harman/kardon receivers may be a little different, plus having more power may add to the equasion. But I don't think there's a huge sonic difference between any of 'em...seeing how alot of forum members here use all different harman/kardon models with great success. You and your horns should be pleased with any model you choose.

H&K makes machine guns.

H/K makes audio equipment.9.gif3.gif

I like the sound of my 430.

The 430 has a warm pleasing sound for such a low price.

I do however think that the bass frequencies tend to be slightly over exaggerated even when the tone controls are set flat.

There is a page where you can download many of the H/K manuals here

Peace, josh

I am also pleased with my H&K USP Compact, so don't dismiss them for only their machine guns. 9.gif

Seriously, at the Indy visit, Andy was saying that the 430 was the best overall package, but the 930 had the best tuner. I'm sure if he sees this topic he'd have lots to add.