Klipschorns are home, and many thanks to Dodger!

My buddy Doug and I rented a minivan on Thursday night and drove out to Rochester (NY) yesterday (366 miles each way). We left at 4:45 am and rolled into the Soundworks parking lot around 10:30. We made great time and enjoyed the many views of the Erie Canal along the way. Doug had taken a week to explore this canal in his boat a few years back, so it was a nice re-visiting experience for him.

About 10 minutes out from the store, I called Win at home and he met us at the shop. It was a pleasure meeting Win and he is one helluva nice guy.

When Win said they were "mint", he really knew what he was talking about because they were flawless (except for a plant ring on the top of one). It was clear that the previous owner was mostly likely the first & last owner because I doubt they had ever been moved (most get nicked or scratched in the process).

Anyway, we broke them down, carefully loaded them into the van, thanked Andrew the salesman, and Win, Doug and I went over to Wegman's supermarket to experience what could be found in the ULTIMATE grocery shopping experience. Any description I might offer of this "store" would be inadequate. Let me just say this ... They have about 3 acres of grocery aisles, PLUS a dry cleaner and four or five mini-restaurants where we all grabbed some lunch before heading upstairs to the dining area overlooking the whole enchilada. Unbelievable.

Since we wanted to get back to central MA before the Enterprise Rent-a-Car closed at six, we had to hoove our sandwiches and bolt out the door before thoroughly discussing all the various points of audio and grocery shopping. Win was a real gentleman and understood our "need for speed", and we bid him farewell in the parking lot.

The ride home was uneventful until we were about 5 miles out, when we drove into the most vicious lightning and downpours we've ever seen. We did get home, however, unloaded the refrigerators, put the seats back in, and made it to the Enterprise parking lot at 5:55 pm. No sweat. $45.66 and 755 miles later, we were on our way home for BBQ and cocktails.

The speakers are going into place today. I'll put mine into the basement and the new ones will take their place (until Doug's new house is finished somewhere down the road).

I'll post some pix in a few minutes.

A long but fruitful day ... an adventure, and it was great meeting Win, albeit briefly.

Thanks again, Win!

Chris,

That sounds like a very enjoyable day .. a little rushed at the end. That was the Fri evening cold front you encountered? If so, you must have experienced it again when it passed through Eastern MA. The speakers look perfect.

leok

----------------

On 8/23/2003 8:46:15 AM leok wrote:

That was the Fri evening cold front you encountered? If so, you must have experienced it again when it passed through Eastern MA.

----------------

Yeah, that was the one ... We first caught a piece of it as we ascended eastbound into the Berkshires, but we drove through it.

By the time we found it again at the foot of Mt. Wachusett, it had really intensified to the point that I thought we were in Kansas. There was visible rotation at the bottom of the clouds as we approached the squall line, and there were white wisps moving in waves at about 1,000 feet above the ground. We knew we were going to get whacked, but we weren't sure if it was just rain or it was hail.

It turned out to be rain, but the lightning bolts were remaining in place for the count of 2-3 seconds. Those clouds were dissipating some SERIOUS energy. The computers at the gas stations were down, as were they at the car rental place (but the lights were still on). There must have been some serious voltage spikes racing through the electrical system (the substation in Sterling was hit very hard by lightning).

What an end to the day!

Yep, great looking K-horns. Chris, you got a great deal on them. If Doug ever wants to part with them, I bet there will be lots of folks here interested.

I also made a 350+ mile pilgrimage to Rochester this week, Wednesday, to pick up Win's OO Chorus IIs. Great guy, and I wish I could have stayed longer, but I needed to be home as well. Looks like good things happened in NY this week.

I blew that one. Would have been fun to come up there to round those beasts up. Who knows what would have happened. Of course, the police would have probably been involved...

Man, those would have been nice here. MAybe next time. It's not like you havent tried in the past.

kh

ps- Dodger does seem like a fine gentleman. I have enjoyed exchanging a few mails with him.

Congrats! Sounds like a fun trip, too.

When Dodger posted on those, I thought it was the best price I'd heard of for Khorns.

Wish I would have jumped on them when I first saw the post. I could have had them and had only a 2400 mile round trip. 15.gif

Have fun!

Dee

p.s. Dodger, see if you can find a pair between Memphis and Dallas for me. Thanks .3.gif

----------------

On 8/23/2003 9:24:33 AM jhawk92 wrote:

I also made a 350+ mile pilgrimage to Rochester this week, Wednesday, to pick up Win's OO Chorus IIs.

----------------

Rob, with regard to your gear (1968 KBWO Klipschorns, Scott 299B), I know we talked about it a bit on the phone a few weeks back ... but I need to put Doug into a tube amp and I was thinking about your current impressions of the 299B/Klipschorn combination.

Any further thoughts on how they work and sound together? I thought your impressions were positive. Your thoughts on the Scott/Chorus II combination would be helpful too as my friend Eric Sonnichsen has the same speakers and is looking for a vintage integrated to hold him over until his home-brew SET's are complete.

Of the various 299 models, or Scott in general, what model is considered to be the best?

Ultimately, I think Doug would like SET the best as he sat in the living room last night (after about four cocktails) fairly stupified by the sound that was coming out of my Klipschorns with JFL Horus. However, a vintage integrated would be a good, budget-oriented start.

I know how the Eico sounds but have only listened to Jeff's (JCTurboT) Scott LK-48 (I think that was the model number but I could be wrong ... Craig O had worked it over). I probably should have held on to that beautiful HF-81, as it would be wonderful for Doug now. If only we could see (even a little way) into the future.

----------------

On 8/23/2003 10:30:12 AM mobile homeless wrote:

I blew that one. Would have been fun to come up there to round those beasts up.

----------------

Yes, it would have been fun ... You were the first one I thought of when these came up, but I don't think you blew it at all. I think your Cornwalls are perfect for your listening environment.

Klipschorns are unbelievably huge speakers and need some room to breathe. After you passed on the offer, I remember thinking that you made the right call. These would create an awfully near-field listening environment for you ...

Darned near Klipschorn headphones.

----------------

On 8/23/2003 3:45:05 PM AndyKubicki wrote:

NICE! What a difference a finish makes (sung to the tune of...)...my poor raw birch...sob sob!
8.gif

----------------

I've got those "poor raw birch" as well, along with those ALK's ... and you know what, I'll never, never sell them ... They sing like angels and I have about three months of therapy in them.

These are prettier, for sure, but they're Doug's now and will be the starting point for his journey into audio. Good God, that boy loves music!