Klipschorns are home, and many thanks to Dodger!

----------------

On 8/23/2003 3:26:41 PM rtaylor wrote:

Good God Man!Fantastic deal, no wonder you're happy.Congratulations.Randy

----------------

Randy, your profile says you're about 50 (like me) and your avitar looks like you have a young-un ... like me.

How old's your baby?

Personally, I have found fathering a child later in life to be one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. The clarity of "what's important" has never been better, and I just love spending quality time with Jack.

Of course, that could be your neighbor's kid :)

Greetings:

It has been a pleasure reading the compliments.

I've enjoyed meeting Rob and Chris plus the emails with kh and Dubia2000.

As I've said before this Forum is like family, though extended and miles away in distance.

DaddyDee, If I can find a pair, you know they have your name on them.

It's nice to know the K-horns have found a good home.

Any equipment or tubes will always be offered to the Forum first.

Rob had the pleasure of seeing my disaray of equipment, Mostly McIntosh. Take good care of my Chorus IIs :) I trust that other than dust and messiness, my equipment rates high in looks. With the knee surgeries in November, March and June, a medication reaction also in June and the gasoline spill, I have not been able to lift or have time for proper cleaning.

All of us with monitoring wells, received a $2500.00 check for the inconveience of the spill, noise, further access to our property etc..

If you were to sign and cash the check, you would be signing away your right.Buckeye (the company that caused the spill) must think we're stupid. And a talk with the head of the Monroe County Health Department Dr. Andrew Doniger, yielded nothing but the same lines when someone doesn't want to bother or be bothered.

It would be nice if these "public servants" would do the job of looking out for the public instead of praising Buckeye. I only wish any of them lived in my house - actually about 450 feet from the spill site.

I get to go Monday to have my vocal chords examined for hydrocarbon poisoning, polyps or throat cancer.

Dr. Doniger was to have contacted my Doc about five (5) weeks ago. I told him we already found all tests that should be run. It's nice knowning your County Health Department knows what should be done in the event of gasoline spills and human testing - NOT

I apologize - venting.

Albeit short, my visit with Chris and Doug was great and I thank you for lunch. I know the K-Horns will be in good hands.

So, it's been very nice putting real faces with the ones we choose as it has been nice emailing Kelly, Gary, Wolfram, Rob, Daddy Dee.

It's a nice family, and family comes first!

Nice to meet you or email you and thank again for the kind words. You all show the world is not a lousy place as some believe and want you to believe.

Much Appreciation,

Win dodger1.gif

Hi Chris, yup, I'm 50 and liking it, well maybe just putting up with it. That is one of my two grandsons. I started early. Your referance to the back nine means you golf? I have been for the past 10 years or so, what a great way to make a man stay humble. Randy

----------------

On 8/24/2003 9:49:18 AM mobile homeless wrote:

Sometimes the 13 year difference between your spouse isnt always a good thing. Suddenly, she wants tikes just when you are moving to the Extra Large Trike.

kh

----------------

Not to mention the extra large size Depends...

fini

Chris,

Nice score on those Klipschorns,they look sweet.Sounds like a nice trip too...

I know what you mean by the weather-took my Family to Old Ochard Beach ME for the weekend and while Friday was beautiful (89 degrees) Saturday night was down right cold at 48 degrees.We went from cranking the AC to putting on the heat in less than 24 hours. Only in New England !

Jeff

Just to close this thread, the "new" Rochester Klipschorns are now "in situ" and look lovely. Doug brought over some of his favorite vinyl last night and we spent some time (while letting the women make dinner for a change) listening to "Nightfly" and some George Winston.

These AA networks sound very smooth and refined, and very much exhibit the Klipschorn sound that I've grown to love.

The oiled walnut really came to life after a good rubdown with Watco Danish oil. They were thirsty after all these years ... I think it was the first oil they'd seen since 1980.

They took three big drinks :)

----------------

On 8/25/2003 11:57:00 AM Chris Robinson wrote:

Just to close this thread, the "new" Rochester Klipschorns are now "in situ" and look lovely. Doug brought over some of his favorite vinyl last night and we spent some time (while letting the women make dinner for a change) listening to "Nightfly" and some George Winston.

These AA networks sound very smooth and refined, and very much exhibit the Klipschorn sound that I've grown to love.

The oiled walnut really came to life after a good rubdown with Watco Danish oil. They were thirsty after all these years ... I think it was the first oil they'd seen since 1980.

They took three big drinks
:)

----------------

Speaking of George Winston, I picked up an unopened George Winston lp a couple weeks ago (50 cents). It was in an oversized plastic cover that I thought may have been re-sealed until I opened it to find a brand new album with all kinds of literature, etc. I can't remember the name but it was something like Piano Solos (Piano something?). That may be the first lp I try with my new Thorens just picked up at lunch today after some re-cabling which the ebay seller pitched in half. Any George Winston fans out there know what album I'm talking about (white cover)?

P.S. Congrats on your new khorns. They look great! I wish I could have nabbed them but I'm glad it was you. Someday.1.gif The last of my children (and tuition payments) will be gone in 2 years then I can start a search. We started young so we'll be 45 and childless. Unfortunately I still have to work another 20 years or so.14.gif

Chris-

I have been very impressed with the 299B/K-horn combo. Spent some good time with them this weekend and things are quite wonderful. I think I am up to about 25hrs of burn-in on the new 7189s that Craig put in, and he said they get even better above 100hrs. Can't wait.

I have not hooked the Scott up to the Chorus IIs yet, as I have been enjoying the big horns. However, Reg (Sprocket) and I did an audition between his Cornwall IIs and my Chorus IIs with his Moondogs and the Chorus sounded very good with the SET amps. I bet they will do just as good with PP tubes. I want to get the 299 broken in and they try some A/B with that and my SS Denon POA-5200 and see how things go. I am very pleased with that sound through the K-horns, but tubes are something special.

You'll get into a war about which 299 is better. I went with the 299B in part to Craig's advice about the 7189 tubes being more readily available and cheaper than the 7159s. I know you can get the 7159A, but they don't fit in the cabinet, which I thought would be "bad." However, since I have been breaking in my Scott with the case off, I love the look of tubes glowing at night, and I may leave the case off full-time. At some point I'd love to do a comparison between 299A/B and 299C/D to see how the different tubes sound. But that will be a long time in coming, as I'm happy where I am.

SET with K-horns is good, as Reg and I experienced with his Moondogs. But depending on the musical tastes of those listening, you may want more headroom for rock, etc, than the SET can provide. I know for less "demanding" selections, SET sounds quite lovely. I'm not trying to bash one vs. the other, as both are quite good. Maybe someday I will be able to have both and really compare them. But a vintage integrated tube amp is a great way to get started, and that's what I thank Craig the most for...just get me started.

----------------

On 8/25/2003 12:39:17 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

Speaking of George Winston, I picked up an unopened George Winston lp a couple weeks ago (50 cents). It was in an oversized plastic cover that I thought may have been re-sealed until I opened it to find a brand new album with all kinds of literature, etc. I can't remember the name but it was something like Piano Solos (Piano something?).

----------------

Doug brought over that LP too ... "Piano Solos" ... We didn't get to hear it though.

----------------

On 8/25/2003 1:42:20 PM jhawk92 wrote:

You'll get into a war about which 299 is better.

----------------

Yeah, we probably don't want to go there. I just put in a call to Craig at home but there was no answer (or answering machine). Anybody have his cell phone number? :)

Thanks for the feedback on the Scott ... Sounds like you have a winner!

Eric S, my buddy, listens to a lot of rock and jazz but at reasonable levels, so I think SET is the way for him to go ultimately, but in the meantime, a nice vintage PP piece will do well.