ACADEMY - YEA RIGHT!

muleman

I thought I would bid on the oiled oak Academy on EBAY. The Auction ended last night. I was in the lead with a $405 bid at t-2 minutes to go and I thought that I actually might be able to get this speaker. Suddenly, 2 or three folks jumped in and, in two miutes left in the auction, the priced skyrocketed to $675 in the closing seconds. Adding shipping, some "lucky" person paid about $700 bucks for an 11 year old speaker. I wonder if the "winner" is a member of this forum.

I watched these closing minutes in amazement and amusement. I certainly wasnt going to pay the price it takes to snag one of these center channels- no way.

There is another Acedemy on Ebay that I suspect will go for a similar price.

These center channel speakers have been hyped to the point that their selling prices are extremely overinflated. I dont know how much they sold for originally, but I doubt that they were 700 bucks in 1992.

But hey - if there is a sucker willing to pay, then all the power to the seller - its one of the things that makes this country great.

The Academy sold for $400-$450 brand new! You could have a stunning pair of Heresy's or Heresy II's and even a pair of Cornwalls for that price! What the hell are people thinking. You could have a custom center channel built for less than that. The woofers, tweeters and crossover are probably still available from Klipsch someone has already researched it here on the BB. It is a simple rectangular sealed box, very easy to build.

Heya man, I was bidding on that academy also. I had it at 665.01 for like 3 seconds. I won the black one last week with no grill, but the whole speaker was about destroyed in shipping. I posted about it. Both speaker magnets fell off and the box was damaged to hell.

I have a pair of quartets, and want an academy since it is listed as the only match. Besides another quartet,forte II, Chorus II, etc..

What would you suggest? I am going for the one on ebay friday unless I find a good alternative. Is there another available center that will match good for movies only?

Any info would be appreciated.

P.S. I don't see an academy going for any reasonable ammount anytime soon, I paid 510 for the grill less scratched up one, and was going to pay up to 900 for the one that just sold, (didnt have time to rebid though darnit), will be watching for more unless there is a replacement.

/shrug I just want my front 3 to match dangit hehe.

$600+ is a ton of money for that speaker and it sure kept me away. Heck, another pair of Forte IIs could be had for that price. I guess it's a space issue. An Academy will fit better just under or just over a TV screen. The beauty of supply and demand. Wish I had a 100 of them.

Frzninvt, I'm not sure it's that easy to build a center channel speaker. I've read and heard many different things and I still don't feel I have the answer. Do you know of any shops that can take on a project like that? I would use a Quartet or another Forte II but they are quite large and I'm not sure what would happen if the passive woofer were to be jacked up to a wall and be 99% enclosed. I hear it's the efficiency (sensitivity) that

counts but if that's true, an Academy would not match up to any of the Heritage Speakers. Hard to figure.

I thought about a vertical Cornwall II or Belle for a center but the larger horn on the La Scala is a much better timbre match for the Khorns. I got lucky I picked up the single La Scala for $300, when laid on its side it is almost the exact width of my 43" Sony RPTV and it places it only about 6" higher than the original stand did. I got my rear La Scala's for $400 and you guys are willing to pay $700 for a single Academy that is just crazy! I definately understand about the wanting the timbre match though.

Any decent car audio shop or halfway decent woodworker could build you the enclosure for the Academy it is simple! It is a sealed design no fiddling with port dimensions. Hell, I would ask the forum member Digjr! look at his beautiful work with the scaled down Klipschorn and Belle, the Academy would not even be a challenge for him. The schematics for crossover are available as are the woofers and tweeter. You could even build the crossover from superior parts and install a dual banana input plug for bi-amping if you desired. Have it custom veneered or built totally out of hardwood and have a custom grill made and still have money left out of $675.

A single Heresy II would work with the Quartet's it has virtually the same tweeter as the Academy. At $675 I would be looking for vertical Cornwalls myself or a single Quartet (best possible center).

----------------

On 8/25/2003 8:58:33 AM Jim Cornell wrote:

Guys

I had the academy, i didnt care for it, a single heresy would be better!

It just didnt seem very efficient!

Regards Jim
9.gif

----------------

Just for your info,

I had a heresy for my center but replaced it with a near perfect OO academy. The academy is a much better center for movies, no comparison in my book (plus it fits in my stand). The heresy is better for music but since I don't listen to much 5.1 music the academy is the best fit for me.

To each his own. I paid $500 for mine and don't regret it for a minute.

Welcome back from vacation Gary. In your opinion, does the Academy produce better dialog than the Heresy center and is that the reason you prefer it for the movies? I guess this is the critical issue. I too, would use a center for movies 90% of the time and if the Academy performs better in that environment, then it is probably worth the current market price.

Frzninvt, I was quoted $800 to build a center to match my Forte IIs. They would use Forte II drivers and then match the crossovers. I didn't move forward with the project because they didn't convince me that the proposed speaker would be better than an Academy. What do you think about this dialog vs music thing?

Thanks Scott. I found the heresy to be a little muffled in the dialog. The academy seems more crisp. I can hear the voices better. It's much "breathier" if you get my drift. I think the cornwall would be a whole different story even though they have the same drivers. Better yet, a lascala or belle but I have no room for them. The heresy is not as crisp of a speaker as the bigger heritage and while it does music very well, I don't like it for movies. I a/b'd them for a long time before making my final decision.

Anyone wants to come over and listen to a comparison I can easily accomodate.

Strange that the Heresy would sound muffled since it is a three way design. However the Heresy Gary tried was a '72, I would try a Heresy II that has the identical K-76-K tweeter that the Academy has and a midrange to boot. I would have modded the crossover on the '72 Heresy somewhat to improve on it's vocal presentation. However, it may be due to the single large 12" woofer compared to the dual 8" drivers on the Academy. Since the Academy is a two-way design the woofers are obviously crossed over higher than the 12" woofer in the Heresy is.

$800 for a custom center is highway robbery just use a Forte' without the riser base!

Dilemma's, Dilemma's. The quest for the perfect center continues!

Frzninvt, I could use a Forte II in the horizontal position and I think it would fit either below or above the TV screen. What do think about that passive woofer being so enclosed. What effect, if any, will result from the horns being inverted?

----------------

On 8/25/2003 3:21:13 PM Frzninvt wrote:

Strange that the Heresy would sound muffled since it is a three way design. However the Heresy Gary tried was a '72, I would try a Heresy II that has the identical K-76-K tweeter that the Academy has and a midrange to boot. I would have modded the crossover on the '72 Heresy somewhat to improve on it's vocal presentation. However, it may be due to the single large 12" woofer compared to the dual 8" drivers on the Academy. Since the Academy is a two-way design the woofers are obviously crossed over higher than the 12" woofer in the Heresy is.

$800 for a custom center is highway robbery just use a Forte' without the riser base!

----------------

Charles,

I thought about that also. Being a '72 may be an issue. I did try every setting for that center along with boosting the treble. Still not as good as the academy. Also, the heresy sounds muffled compared to the cornwall but I think they always will due to the smaller box and crossover differences.

The '72 heresys still sound great in 2-channel so they will ultimately become fronts for my downstairs system or rears if/when I get another pair of cornwalls or maybe khorns if I'm blessed.

Scott,

Try the forte option. I don't think you can lose if you have the room. My wife likes the smaller academy in the family room so it will stay no matter what. She hated the heresy there and now I have filled the extra space anyway. Good luck with your quest.

----------------

On 8/25/2003 3:21:13 PM Frzninvt wrote:

----------------

Charles,

I thought about that also. Being a '72 may be an issue. I did try every setting for that center along with boosting the treble. Still not as good as the academy. Also, the heresy sounds muffled compared to the cornwall but I think they always will due to the smaller box and crossover differences.

The '72 heresys still sound great in 2-channel so they will ultimately become fronts for my downstairs system or rears if/when I get another pair of cornwalls or maybe khorns if I'm blessed.

Scott,

Try the forte option. I don't think you can lose if you have the room. My wife likes the smaller academy in the family room so it will stay no matter what. She hated the heresy there and now I have filled the extra space anyway. Good luck with your quest.

Alrighty then!

I do hereby state the the Academy is an unfortunate surprise to new owners. You could have done better with a speaker at half the price. Beware to anyone paying out the proverbial nose for an overhyped old-technology neanderthal that can be outgunned by new designs half it's size. Sell your Academy and other antiques now before you realize that the word is out on this overrated beast and its ilk. Once everyone catches on, you won't get more than $90.00 for your "precious." In fact, all your old Klipsch speakers use technology that only match other audio equipment of the same vintage. So, unless you are an old-timer with tin fenders for ears who can't let go of your 78s, sell your oversized dinosaurs now while you can to some unlucky sucker who thinks metal horns and 12" paper woofers will make his MP3s sound better.

There. I have done my part. You should see a few more Academys at BIN prices of $50 on eBay along with the rest of the Heritage and Classic lines.

Boomac,

This is what I spent on building my custom center. I bought 2 pairs of EV T35 horn tweeter on ebay at a great price. Sold 2 of them here on this board and one on ebay. By the time it was said and done the 4th one was free to me.

2 KV1089 woofers from a RF7 for $100.00 a pair

1 EV T35 Horn Tweeter FREE

1 K-52 1.5" MID FREQUENCY HORN: 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn out of a KLF 30... FREE My Nephew had this extra midrange, he has a pair of KLF 30's

Crossover cost me about $100.00 in parts

3/4" Birch plywood Void free $80.00

2- 4" flared ports $10.00

Fabric for grill $10.00

Misc Hardware $25.00

Motorboard was rabbited by a cabinet shop due to the shape of the woofer frame. Wanted a very flush mount. $55.00

Misc shipping charges: $75.00

30hrs of design, 6 days to build

Total $455.00

I think that was it.

I have construction pics if you are interested

Scooterdog