EICO HF-81 - Factory Wired

eico_tested.jpg

I dont post these too often but this was brought to my attention. The price is rather high but before you scoff, this actually appears to be a factory wired model which makes this a far more safe bet. Many of the EICO HF-81 were made from kits and which gives the reliance on each model to go to the skill and care of the fiend putting it together. This is why you see some model variability here. Get a good one and you are in for a treat. I have heard at least five EICO HF-81 in person, and although great, all dont sound the same. The wiring on the factory units can be quite impressive and clean, the way it's supposed to be.

Before I would use the Buy It Now, or consider a bid, I would write the seller asking for the tube types in each of the locations. Also, see if there has been any mods. IF original EICO tubes, which were mostly Mullard, this is a deal for a factory wired unit with this type of tube selection. Mullard rectifiers and input tubes are a godsend here. It also has what I consider the preferred outputs with the lips.

There are cheaper HF-81 out there but if with some good life Mullards/quality valves combined with the wiring, you have youself a great integrated.

Note: See the TESTED BY stamp? The factory supposedly did this on the bottom or top of the chassis. This supposedly denotes factory wiring. You might ask for a pic of the wiring too. As always, dont run the price up like clowns. Bid at the end...as in VERY end. And exchange some emails with the seller as well. Get a feeling for the guy.

LINK: EICO HF-81 on Ebay

kh

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy,

I can not believe you are still remarking about a simple typo on my part ! Never ending a$$hole ! What did you decide you would step into Edmunds shoes here ?

On a positive note this looks to me a awesome HF-81 but the buyer is asking every penny its worth ! But at least its not $850 LOL !!

Craig

Craig,

I don't remember anyone asking $850 for an Eico and do remember someone offering the same amount for that specific amplifier, and that is a different story.

I do also remember some "smart guys" (I don't know how else should I call them) driven to put some $500 to $700 on inferior sounding amps.

Regardless of the price, the seller says it is in MINT condition. But there are no comments about the condition or make of the tubes. Looking at it closely, the face is NOT MINT (look above the brass plate). I regularly check out the HF-81s on ebay and I have two now. Vintage pieces RARELY are truly MINT which should mean showroom quality (pristine meaning AS NEW). Sellers often put MINT in their titles to attract buyers only to spell out the the detractions from MINT quality in the description. Caveat Emptor and ask a lot of specific questions. I overpaid for one of mine because the seller said the tubes were like new Bugle Boy. Once gotten, no labeling was visible on the tubes and there were issues with the controls. Bottom line, I would jump on this if the seller was straight with answers. BTW, check out the other offerings from this seller. He has some good junk.

Craig,

you have 3503 posts. 3000 are self promotions (i.e - "it is interesting to hear how it will sound after you send it to me for a rebuild cause every old amp is out of spec" - kinda s%^t).

the rest 503 is buls*^ting (BTW - I loved your bad acoustics & amp theory) and bully-ing other members.

Just a reminder - you started your "forum business" about a year ago and haven't listened or lived with 1/10 of the equipment I listened to in the last 15 years. So instead of being busy fighting me, Ryan, Edmond - Jazman or anybody else who doesn't agree with you or really sees who you really are , GO LISTEN TO SOME MUSIC AND SOME REAL EQUIPMENT and LEAVE US ALONE.

----------------

On 8/29/2003 8:38:27 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

I overpaid for one of mine because the seller said the tubes were like new Bugle Boy. Once gotten, no labeling was visible on the tubes and there were issues with the controls. Bottom line, I would jump on this if the seller was straight with answers. BTW, check out the other offerings from this seller. He has some good junk.

----------------

You can still verify if the tubes are real Bugle Boys by the production and date codes near the base of the tubes.

Guy,

"you have 3503 posts. 3000 are self fromotions "

fromotions?

Hey Guy I guess you miss a keystroke every now and then. Like all humans do.

I have followed posts where Craig helped a hobbyist through a rebuild at no cost and helped people with amp designs for no cost. Also incurring long distance phone charges.

Poor judges of character usually lack character themselves.

If the shoe fits Guy...

"You have 3503 posts. 3000 are self-promotions (i.e - "it is interesting to hear how it will sound after you send it to me for a rebuild cause every old amp is out of spec" - kinda s%^t."

LOL, that's pretty funny, since his "business" actually started by offering basic services for these close to death amps for a handful of Forum Members on a budget so they could enjoy tube audio. As a matter of fact, most of his posts are usually along the lines of, "Don't run it that way for too long, you may burn your freaking house down or electrocute yourself. Send it to me so it's at least SAFE to use." Who cares if most of his business is generated by forum members -- they get excellent sounding, and safe to use vintage gear for reasonable prices. Checked out the prices for this used, restored stuff at VTV lately?

"...haven't listened or lived with 1/10 of the equipment I listened to in the last 15 years."

Come on Guy, what's up with that? O.K., that's great, but it doesn't really have any bearing on anything. I've listened to a hell of a lot more gear than Craig too, but we get on the phone and are in perfect agreement about what sounds good with the music we like. He's heard plenty. I've said this plenty of times -- you don't have to hear 30 different push-pulls, or 2 dozen SET amps to get a good idea of general character and capabilities.

"... So instead of being busy fighting me, Ryan, Edmond or anybody else who doesn't agree with you or really sees who you really are , GO LISTEN TO SOME MUSIC AND SOME REAL EQUIPMENT and LEAVE US ALONE."

Nice. What I actually see is Craig making a wise *** crack about something, or stating his opinion, and he has to put up with being verbally assaulted, ridiculed, or put up with anything else someone wants to throw at him with minimal restraint. He responds in kind and he's a "bully".

I for one am tired of the hypocrisy.

Can anybody verify this scenario? My HF-81 has the tube sockets riveted to the chassis. I've been told that if the sockets are riveted it means it was factory wired since the kits were sent out with the sockets loose and were bolted in by the assembler.

Now, I've only seen two 81's in person, both were riveted. Has anybody seen an example with the screws?

Tom

(hate to break in to the personal flame wars with actual content-related question, but WTH....)