What solo continues to blow your mind no matter how many time you hear it?

Allan Songer

Tim Carrol on "Letter to LA" off of Live at Liberty Lunch

whoever plays that bass line on "Footstompin Music"-E Pluribus Funk

Neil Young-"Over and Over again"-Ragged Glory (looove this cd)

Philthy Animal Taylor-the drums on "Overkill"

The Sales brothers-"Lust for Life" IGGY!

Cory Parks-for the fire and the tats! Nashville ***** was pretty damn cool

Matt Freeman-anytime he plays!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warren Haynes-"Towering Fool"

Mick Ronson-"Rock and Roll Suicide"

Johnny Ramone-"Here Today, Gone Tommorow"

Jimi Hendrix-"Like a Rolling Stone"-from that cheezy *** radio doc-he was playing i think w/Randy California, maybe...and Butterfield Blues Band.

Ian Hunter-"All the Way From Memphis" pianer bangin!

Dave Edmunds-"Singin the Blues, Three Time Loser, Race is On, Almost Saturday Night,...."

Creem magazine!

It`s funny how that recording ultimately became available. Jerry heard it on the radio. How did that happen he thought. A story started circulating that a pizza boy had swiped a cassette off of Garcia`s kitchen counter. Years later it was officially released. Great recording on a disc that resembles a small pizza.

Jaco Pastorius' rendition of Charlie Parker's 'Donna Lee' (originally performed as a duet)

This slipped by me...Jaco! What a musician! When I hear his material I want to put my fingers into a vice! He can get so many sounds out of those bass strings! Almost anything he did was amazing! Second place for bass players for me would be Jeff Berlin, also can do some amazing things on bass.

Bassetized, a Basset Hound! I never would have guessed! Excellent!

On a similar note, I once saw the Mahavishnu Orchestra around the 70s or 80s in Chicago. I could swear as I was crossing the street, I saw John McLaughlin crossing opposite me, looked me in the eye and said "Hello", but I'll never know for sure! Anyway, the LaBeque sisters (hope I spelled their name correctly) opened for him and they did Rhapsody in Blue on two pianos the was absolutely fantastic!

----------------

On 9/6/2003 8:56:50 PM AndyKubicki wrote:

Jaco Pastorius' rendition of Charlie Parker's 'Donna Lee' (originally performed as a duet)

This slipped by me...Jaco! What a musician! When I hear his material I want to put my fingers into a vice! He can get so many sounds out of those bass strings! Almost anything he did was amazing! Second place for bass players for me would be Jeff Berlin, also can do some amazing things on bass.

----------------

I'm sure you know of the work of Victor Wooten, that fellow has some chops and more than a few ideas of how to bring facility to fruition.

---now for something completely different, since I had no idea where else to put this but figured a thread where folks were talking about what turns them on ... musically, that is.... --

right now I'm listening to some work by the Indian (as in south of Pakistan) composer A.R. Rahman. A couple of student workers I managed over the summer were from India, and one of them, Pavan, asked me about a home system, that he was considering the lifestyle system. I told him to get some of his favorite music and go with me to listen to the Cornwalls and Heresys I have on 'long term loan' at my church. He brought 2 discs of that composer's work, Shankar's Boys, and Five Elements. Very dense, tight, detailed, 2-channel music. VERY infectious westernized-yet-not-quite-western music. The processing/imaging/effects on this work is stunning and oh-so-musical.

Anyway, I asked to borrow a few CD's of this Rahman fellow's work. he composes and produces the music, but he gets other players/vocalists to lay it down. With few exceptions the language is not one I can understand, so I listen to the words for their rhythmic and melodic qualities. This is quite a departure from the genres I normally listen to, but I've really been groovin' on this today.

Does anyone else know anything about this musician?

I've hear of Victor and seen his instructional tape for bass at Guitar Center, but saddly, have not checked his music out yet. On my to do list!

I wonder if Dr. L. Sabramaniam would be similar to Rahman. I never heard of Rahman, but his style sounds interesting. Sabramaniam has played with several jazz artists, but has a strong Indian flavor to his playinf....very enjoyable. One of my favorites was an album called Conversations done with Stephane Grapelli with Joe Sample on keys....good stuff!

I quit playing the Trombone after 11 yrs and the solo that sticks out most was mine...my freshman year of college....No Just joking. One of the best percussionists of all time, Mr. John Bonham. Enjoy listening to his all popular Moby Dick and all his live variants of it.

S-h-i-n-e undoubtedly endures, recorded in 1955, the comments from those who were familiar with that recording session are rather telling (from the CD liner notes off the 1999 Verve Master Edition CD)..

Getz sets the tempo on the upper edge of believability with eight unaccompanied bars, and after dispensing with the theme he plays nine truly inspired choruses. "I think that 'S-h-i-n-e' is a masterpiece," Levy said. "When it came out all the tenor players shook their heads and said, 'It's flawless.'" And Condoli recalled, "When we did 'S-h-i-n-e' I had to follow Stan's solo, which was pretty intimidating. When we were working at Zardi's sometimes I'd try to play first to get my solo out of the way, because I didn't want to follow Stan."

Is it his best? A younger Stan colloborated with Dizzy Gillespie in '53, that session is available with Verve's Jazz Masters 25. The interplay on the first three tracks remain

miraculous, blistering solos makes S-h-i-n-e almost seem sluggish at times, Getz's magic tone remains intact on the whole ride. Not always heralded, but definitely worth checking out.

d61851828ij.jpg

Will also post Clifford Brown's solos in Walkin and Donna Lee, found in the Columbia Jazz Masterpiece release, as worthy contenders.

No doubt much of what was recorded as 1950s jazz appears to be a lost art, if that level of energy, mastery and musical sophistication even exists today, it is not making the recording studios.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the West Coast Jazz CD last night and the Getz solo on S-h-i-n-e is terrific. I'll have to check out that Getz - Gillespie offering.

How about Grover Washington Jr's solo on "Masterpiece" from his Soul Box Album? KUDU 1213. Arranged and conducted by Bob James and engineered by Rudy Van Gelder.