What solo continues to blow your mind no matter how many time you hear it?

Allan Songer

I like the vintage horn solos on the MOZART HORN CONCERTOS by Hogwood.

From a recent rerelease, the dueling guitar solos on COMFORTABLY NUMB from the Roger Waters THE WALL IN BERLIN DVD-V are pretty cool...especially for a remake w/o Gilmore. I also like the accordion work and harmony from THE BAND during the same tune.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 9/1/2003 7:18:31 PM prodj101 wrote:

yes, you can get it on CD. I think the cd is called Live at Newport. damn good solo, one of the best you'll hear, though it sounded like he was playing on a bit of a soft/unbalanced reed
3.gif
. I can't remember where I found it on the internet in cd form for sale....

----------------

Thanks. I'll look for it.

Don Ellis did some incredible solos and among my favorites so far are the solos he did on Concerto for Trumpet (5/4, off Live at Montery) and...oh man, how do I choose? Indian Lady (also 5/4) and Alone (OK, that's in 5/4 too, both on Electric Bath). Alone was also done as Bossa Nueva Nova on his Live in 3 2/3 /4 Time Album. All his solos just put a smile on my face when I hear them.

Billy Cobham, drum solo on "One Word", "Birds of Fire" by Mahavishnu Orchestra (circa '73)

Ahhhh! Mahavishnu! One of my favorites (though there are many with this band!) is the lead in solo on Dance of the Maya on Inner Mounting Flame. It's totally mind blowing! As much as I can figure out, he starts off with a giutar riff that has a rhythm division of 3-4-3, and just when you're comfortable with it, Cobham comes in on drums with a 6 2/3. I have yet to figure out how these time signatures overlap, maybe a real musician out there can explain it...I can focus on one or the other, but not how both interweave, but they sure do interweave! I guess one is actually a 10/4 and the other a 20/8? At any rate, incredible! Many prog bands used this technique of blending in one part with another by differing and overlapping time signatures and it's quite an affect when dome well. Some of his other tunes with a 12 string guitar sound fantastic on KHorns, like Visions of an Emerald Beyond, Apocolypse...always had geat bass players...great musicians. Many went off in their own directios, Jean-Luc Ponte, Steve Goodman, etc.

But I digress, this was about solos. Let's not forget a prog band...the prog band of that era whos material, both written and improvised, was on a level unmatched by any other that I know of. It was actually like classical music written for non-classical instruments. Gentle Giant was one of the most underrated bands of their time. In concert, these boys would trade off instruments like nothing. Aside from their drums, guitars, and bass, they soloed on the xylophone, violin, cello, recorders, misc percussion and let's not forget their own voices. But one such piece of thiers that is one of my favorites is On Reflection, but the live version off Playing the Fool. For the live version, they wrote this beautiful arrangement for the recorder, xylophone and cello (that's like a solo) and then the song itself is a multi part round that is just awsome. Kerry Minear was the keyboard player and wrote much of their material and he was a master of counterpoint. Too much!

Oh, yes, you may have noticed my avatar...that's in honor of Gentle Giant.

The record collection I inherited from my brother has some Stan Getz in it.. "Interpretations" by the Stan Getz Quintet, a shocking pink album cover, probably early sixties from a quick inspection.

It's in my pile of records to be cleaned, I am getting the remaining stuff today:

disk doctor scrubbing bubbles and solution

poly liner sleeves

distilled water

spray bottle

dish drying rack

white terrycloth wash towels

dunno about the zerostat -- methinks it is a temporary at best solution.

Andy:

You're right about the Mahav Orch's timing. The overlapping is kinda a drawn out syncopation, which may be a common technique in Eastern Music. Sir John was into the whole "Sri Chinmoy" thing back then. Even Santana got into it for a while and did an album with McLaughlin (Love, Devotion, Surrender).

You need to pick up McLaughlin's "Live at Royal Festival Hall" (1988) if you don't have it. It's one of my "Desert Island" discs. McLaughlin's trio on this album includes reknown percussionist, Trilok Gurtu and Kai Eckard on bass. Both the recording and performance are exceptional. After owning it for 12 years, it still gets a listen on just about a weekly basis.

Regards,

Mike

----------------

On 9/2/2003 1:10:31 AM davmar wrote:

Excellent thread! My local music store is getting a call tomorrow for

West Coast Jazz Stan Getz

Live Stephen Stills

NRBQ at Yankee Stadium

A Jazz Message Art Blakey Quartet

Birds of Fire Mahavishnu Orchestra

----------------

NRBQ Live at Yankee Stadium is a GREAT album (the Live part is a pun BTW - look at the cover)! Listened to it a lot in college. If you can get the LP do it. The CD leaves out the last (and one of the best) song on the album (Drivin in My Car). The horns on "That's Neat, That's Nice" is one of my all time favorites.

I didn't see NRBQ mentioned in this thread (other than Fini's post). I'll have to go back and re-read. If you like that, Tiddlywinks is another great LP of theirs. Their horn section is called "The Whole Wheat Horns." Greatest bar band ever.

davmar and Gary,

I am blown away that you picked up on that! Yes, I love NRBQ. I agree with tour assesment of their "greatest bar-band" status. Gary, it is wild how your tastes seem to parallel mine (NRBQ, Grisman, to name two). I hope that doesn't frighten you...3.gif

fini

P.S. ANY Terry Addams toy piano solo is infinitely listenable, too!

Fini,

Love it! Have you seen him with his toy piano live? It's quite a sight! It's about a foot long and he bends his knees up to his chest when he pounds on it.

Tiddlywinks may be one of the best recorded LPs I own. The guitar on "Beverly" is so crystal clear it amazes me every time I hear it. I usually play it to show off the sound of my my TT.

Only scares me a little. How about you?

----------------

On 9/1/2003 8:32:49 PM reel 2 reel wrote:

Marc- Almond Band....Best Of Live.....tune called "The City" Carlos Rios does a killer elecrtic guitar solo.........gc

----------------

Gary,

I had never heard of Marc Almond until last week when shopping for 50 cent lps at the library. They had boatloads of his stuff and I did buy one sealed lp. Maybe I should have bought more. I'm sure they're still there. If you want I can take orders. I think there were more sealed. I guessed that if so many were available, he must really suck.

----------------

On 9/1/2003 1:29:46 PM Allan Songer wrote:

He's not my favorite tenor man, but DAMN! every time I pull this out and have a listen my jaw hits the floor.

Stan Getz' solo that opens "Shine" on "West Coast Jazz" (Norgran Records)--think it was cut in 1956. It was later reissued on Verve and it still currently available on CD last time I bought one for someone. When Conte Candoli comes in after this 5-minute solo is comeplete he sounds STUNNED and never quite gets untracked. This has to be the best solo Getz ever recorded and will always be in my top 5 tenor solos of all time . . .

----------------

I went to the library tonight just to find that Getz CD and give a listen to "Shine." I found it on "Stan Getz, The Best of the Verve Years." WOW is all I can say. I listened in the car on the way home then again at home. You're right Allan. Jaw dropping!

In the pamphlet it states, "Shine is a different kind of tour de force, 18 choruses of endlessly inventive tenor playing at a ridiculous tempo. The feeling was so strong on this date, Getz was later to tell Steve Voce, that creating "Shine" was as easy as falling off a log."

I highly recommend any jazz fans out there try to find a copy. It's really amazing. Recorded August 15, 1955 in L.A.