What solo continues to blow your mind no matter how many time you hear it?

Allan Songer

He's not my favorite tenor man, but DAMN! every time I pull this out and have a listen my jaw hits the floor.

Stan Getz' solo that opens "Shine" on "West Coast Jazz" (Norgran Records)--think it was cut in 1956. It was later reissued on Verve and it still currently available on CD last time I bought one for someone. When Conte Candoli comes in after this 5-minute solo is comeplete he sounds STUNNED and never quite gets untracked. This has to be the best solo Getz ever recorded and will always be in my top 5 tenor solos of all time . . .

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allen, I knew you were talking about improvisational jazz, and the bandmembers being suitably floored with what happened in front of them along with anyone priviliged to get a chance to hear it, I was attempting to be humorous. Sorry if I offended15.gif

A couple of tabs of "window pane" and a bottle of Jack Daniels and I'll be rarin' to go!! I'm not offended at all, but was just shocked that a mention of this nugget was the first response to my post, that's all. From Stan Getz's solo on "Shine" to "Inna Godda Da Vida" is QUITE a stretch, don't you think?

Gonsalves' solo is probably the most FAMOUS solo of all time--legend has it that the Duke's career rebirth began when that blond started shakin' her booty to P.G.'s solo that ran on for about 40 choruses. I don't know if all thats true (to quote the late Sonny Bono), but it sure is a great story! What is true is that it's a hell of a performance--P.G. gets 5-stars from me for edurance alone! But is the solo the stuff of imrovosational genius on the same level as Getz' solo on "Shine?" For me, it's not even close--no matter how great P.G.'s solo is, I am never shocked or surprised by anything he plays--I just groove along for chorus after blistering chorus. The Getz solo knocks me on my ***--he takes you places you can't even imagine and he does it time after time throughout the performance. Check it out and see if you agree with me.

Of course I have to add a couple Garcia solos to the list.

1) Jerry Garcia Band - Warner Theater, Washington, D.C. 1978, "The Harder They Come" a 10 -15 minute solo that's AMAZING! - I was there BTW. It can be downloaded off GDLive.com.

2) Grateful Dead, Englistown Racetrack, N.J. Labor Day 1977 150,000 people - Opening act, Allman Bros. (Dick's Picks # 15), "Eyes of the World" 3 incredible solos by Garcia in that 1 song. When he was hot, he was HOT! I was there for that one also.

I've listened to both of those songs probably 1,000 times or more over the years and never tire of either.

Well, not much for the solo per se but for the way everything is tied together so nicely, I'd say the Tenor Sax solo from Sonny Stitt ot the track Cafe from the LP "A Jazz Message" from Art Blakey Quartet. It humbles me each time as a demonstration of a band playing together even while a member is soloing.

Billy Cobham, drum solo on "One Word", "Birds of Fire" by Mahavishnu Orchestra (circa '73)

Jimi Hendrix, "Machine Gun", Live at Filmore East. Not a solo per-se, but the band's musical depiction of combat and death impressed even my hard-core classical music teacher.

----------------

On 9/1/2003 7:02:07 PM mike stehr wrote:

Is that '57 Newport Jazz festival material(with Gonsalves) that Trevor references obtainable on dare I say, Compact Disc?

I like the Duke, the Live London '63 material is one of my favs.

----------------

yes, you can get it on CD. I think the cd is called Live at Newport. damn good solo, one of the best you'll hear, though it sounded like he was playing on a bit of a soft/unbalanced reed 3.gif . I can't remember where I found it on the internet in cd form for sale....

You bet! This is a curious recording may ways. Blakey was taking a break from the Jazz Messengers and had recently left Blue Note and Sonny Stitt for the first time in a LONG time got to make a record with a first class rhythm section (Blakey, McCoy Tyner, Art Davis). Sonny Stitt made many, many records with "who's that?" players in the late 50's through the late 60's for labels like Argo and Roost and Prestige--sometimes the jackets don't even LIST who's on the date! Stitt made something like 200 LPs in his career and I often wonder if his reputation would have been enhanced if he had been a tad more selective. Obviously inspired by the chance to record with some players of his caliber, Stitt came to the date prepared and was taking NO prisoners. Blakey might be the "leader" on this date, but it's Sonny Stitt who takes charge. This is a great record and one that it sadly forgotten by most. And I agree with you about the solo on "Cafe"--the trio is moving along as one with Stitt just plain FLYING above them.

Stitt would not make another great record until he signed with Cobbelstone in 1970 some 7 or 8 years later. What a shame! All of those endless blues B-3 tenor workouts and "Varitone" records in between.

I was lucky enough to hear Sonny Stitt live a few times in the 70's and I can still say I have NEVER heard anyone more fluid and relaxed while still playing at "the limit." Nobody ever made it look so easy--and maybe that's what so many tend to discount his work today--that and the 150 or so run-of-the-mill blowing sessions that all seem to run together.

I can't find the getz solo you refer to on kazaa...I guess I'll order it later on tonight. paul does put out some damn good riffs though. I've learned most of them so I can incorporate them in my own solo's 9.gif . aside from paul's solo alone, part of what makes it great is the tone that is set by the pianist and the rest of the rythm section.