Here is a very nice looking pair of La Scalas or Belles or ? ...............

Cut-Throat

It would be very easy to add grilles to a La Scala, and that's what this looks like. If you look carefully, it looks like the speaker on the right has some kind of edge banding over the plywood edges and the one on the left shows the plywood layers. Someone who has built factory La Scalas would be able to tell if these were factory by the way the pieces of wood are joined together.

I think the description leaves a lot to be desired, and in my experience, that's usually a sign to be careful.

Greg

If you read the title of the ad it is plain to see that these are custom built speakers by Gary Shinell. It looks like a combination of the La Scala and Belle styling incorporated into a single speaker. He appears to be using the K-400 horn but has the Belle type top portion with the spacer and wrap around grill. The Shinell Klipsch should have immediately given it away. They are nice looking but an 18" driver in the same size enclosure for the 15" I wonder how it would sound.

Cut-throat, Thanks for posting on this interesting speaker.

If the guy had a pair, and from looking the piece of what is next door, he might have some other in various stages of finish. Almost worth a trip to Atlanta to check out.

The cabinet looks to be slightly wider than a standard La Scala, so it could be that the builder has made some allowance for an 18 inch woofer. It would be most interesting to know if it has lower bass extension than La Scala. It may not produce what the designer hoped for. The absence of that info from the description may or may not mean anything, but it is notable in it's absence. If the seller was fuzzy in response to such a question, that would be a definite deal breaker.

One thing I have noticed in some nice looking veneer jobs on La Scalas, that the placing of grill material in the bass bin like this guy has done, would appear to be to cover the places where veneer would be most difficult to apply well. It does give it a nice Belle finished look.

I emailed the seller and received this reply:

"Gary Shinall is the speaker maker.

He worked for Paul Klipsch for many years and moved to Houston where he began building his own line based on Klipsch plans. The difference is that these are solid walnut, not veneered pressboard. Also, Gary used the ElectroVoice drivers/tweeters, when Klipsch began building their own to save money.

They sound and look terrific."