Reference 7 series, what sub should I get?

Thors1982

I just got two RF-7s two RS-7s and a RC7 with a Denon 3803. I couldn't afford the sub when I got the speakers but I am trying to plan ahead. Can anyone recommend a good sub? I was hoping to spend less than $1000 but I also don't want it to sound bad so let me know what you all think. If it has to be above $1000 to match my setup just tell me.

I just, read the thread about not having a sub is a sin :-)

Well, just to clarify why I didn't get one, I am in college and seeing as my old system was the speaker in a 19 inch tv... I am still 100% amazed daily about how these speakers sound in movies and video games(x-box has dolby digital :-)

I do realize I need a sub but I only work during the summer and its hard to get that kind of money. I knew if i didn't get the 7's I would always want them, thats jut how I am. So i went all out and got them and put the sub off for a year.

I am building the system slowely I have time.

Hey, Thor:

I've got the same basic speaker setup as you do. The only real difference is that I am using a Pioneer Elite receiver. I gotta tell ya, that darned 15" Klipsch Reference sub of mine sure does blend perfectly with my 7's! I know it's a lot of somolians and I am not trying to tell you how to spend your money but, that sub is worth every penny! After all, they we engineered to work in concert together. You may not need a 15, and perhaps a smaller one would do just as well. You will have to be the judge. But, I do highly recommend you consider a Klipsch sub. A local stereo shop here even recommends using Klispch subs with B&W's because they out-perform B&W's subs! They're awesome!

-Picky 2.gif

----------------

On 9/3/2003 12:39:43 PM picky-picky wrote:

A local stereo shop here even recommends using Klispch subs with B&W's because they out-perform B&W's subs!

----------------

Yeah, B&W subs aren't all that great. I plan on picking up an RSW-12 for my B&W system as soon as I can afford it. It should work nicely with my SVS 20-39CS+. 9.gif

----------------

On 9/3/2003 12:39:43 PM picky-picky wrote:

I just, read the thread about not having a sub is a sin :-)

----------------

Hehehe, that was my thread. I still don't have that sub yet, I'm waiting for my card to clear it's charges then I've personally settled on a SVS cylinder. Still debating 25-31 or 20-39 ... we'll see what mood I'm in when I hit "buy now".

I've never heard an SVS but from what everyone says, it's the best bang for the buck. I can tell you that my RSW-12 is awesome. They can be had for under $1k now. I don't know how it compares to the $1100 SVS but it's plenty for my 13x24 room for movies and adds a nice flavor to my 2-channel tube set-up. It also doesn't take up the room the SVS does. Actually it's behind a chair and you wouldn't know it was there unless I pointed it out.

Go listen to one.

----------------

On 9/3/2003 2:27:24 PM Thors1982 wrote:

So most of you would recomend a Klipsch RSW rather than a SVS?

----------------

Well to be fair, I have never heard a SVS but I have no need to either. My RSW-12 and RSW-15 are more than what I need.

----------------

On 9/3/2003 2:35:02 PM garymd wrote:

I've never heard an SVS but from what everyone says, it's the best bang for the buck. I can tell you that my RSW-12 is awesome. They can be had for under $1k now. I don't know how it compares to the $1100 SVS but it's plenty for my 13x24 room for movies and adds a nice flavor to my 2-channel tube set-up. It also doesn't take up the room the SVS does. Actually it's behind a chair and you wouldn't know it was there unless I pointed it out.

Go listen to one.

----------------

That's odd. For me I settled on an SVS because it took less room as far as floorspace (16" diameter). Goes to show one size doesn't fit all ;)

----------------

On 9/3/2003 3:19:52 PM PYRO wrote:

Go with a RSW-15, Mine is on the way. Probably on a cargo ship between L.A. and Honolulu. The wait is killing me.

Rob
----------------

Air freight man. FedEx Custom Critical. They would buy it in LA, charter a Gulfstream, and have it to your front door in 12 hours - for a nominal fee 3.gif

To the question - from what I have learned, you cannot go wrong with a RSW-12 or 15 or an SVS. He11, depending on the room I have, I might get a RSW-15 to replace my 150 pound, 4-foot tall JBL beast when I get a real HT going. But I still think the PB2-Plus ($1200) is going to make it into my home eventually 9.gif

The rsw 15 can be had for about $1200,the rsw12 for about $900, search shopping at yahoo.Don't let the 12 fool ya,it hits HARD,the 15 of course is a little better.If you had no Klipsch ref the svs is certainly a great co.with great products.But,the ref system just looks and sounds so good together.

Here's a suggestion Thors. Go to the SVS website and check out their new PB2-ISD. If you hurry and get on the waiting list during their shipping special it would be $949 delivered, a great sub that's within your budget. I know you can't have it right now but that just gives your wallet a little time to recover from the speaker and receiver purchase you just made. They won't charge you until it ships. And if you decide you don't like the sub (doubtful) then you can just return it to SVS within 45 days. 9.gif