anyone up for these? klipsch better plan to keep up...

sunnysal

btw, I have both a MacIntosh and a McIntosh, I use both with great joy, my Compaq PC gets more use at work though...they all have something to contribute...lastly everyone who knows me knows I ADORE my klipschorns, I suspect they will be my last speakers.

my intention, as stated in the title line, was to nudge Klipsch into making more efforts at the high end of the market, not just in the high volume products, like the jubilee. as a klipsch lover I would like to see more high-end R&D like I see from many of the other reputable speaker companies, that's all...warm regards from sunny el salvador, tony

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow a 25,000 do$$ar pair of speakers. I'd like to see how these would do in relation the the Mirage OM-1. Both seem to be attempting to knock down a wall or two and expand the audio experience. Would like to know how they sound......of course it would be nice to throw in a pair of familiar sounding klipsch just to have a basis of comparison. Man, Just to see the extent of what areas improved/did not improve would be some time worth spent.

Tony,

I'm not knocking the Mac computer. Apple makes some fine gear, but computers are just tools for most. They shouldn't be a religion

Did you ever get any more done to sketch out the parts for your amp? (Like I'm really going to build one!)

I still have to order some sockets for some EL84s, before I do anything else. My tubes in my vintage Knight amp are wobbly the tubes are sooo loose.

Marvel

" My intent as stated"......

Tony,

I eluded a very direct and possable offensive question to Klipsch in the "trip to Indy" thread a while back.

" Did you guys see the Jubilee"? Where is it? Does Mrs. Klipsch have it in her garage? " If you are not going to build the thing, publish the CAD drawings so that we can". " Will the bass bin design be used for ($) pro theater only"?

I think that I know where you are coming from.

Keep pushing. Keep on keeping on.

Regards,

Terry

Tony,

Thanks for the post. That is one seriously good-looking loudspeaker! To be honest though, I too have rarely heard a JBL design that sounded as good as it looked (or spec'd).

I do wish Klipsch would take off the gloves and compete in the higher end of the speaker market. Maybe they know STEREOPHILE would trash them regardless...

I think a lot of us klipsch fans would be thrilled if we could buy here what is available in the Asian market. Big horns are very popular there, it seems. At least, with those who are pretty well-off financially.

----------------

On 9/6/2003 11:09:13 PM James D McCall wrote:

Tony,

Thanks for the post. That is one seriously good-looking loudspeaker! To be honest though, I too have rarely heard a JBL design that sounded as good as it looked (or spec'd).

I do wish Klipsch would take off the gloves and compete in the higher end of the speaker market. Maybe they know STEREOPHILE would trash them regardless...

I think a lot of us klipsch fans would be thrilled if we could buy here what is available in the Asian market. Big horns are very popular there, it seems. At least, with those who are pretty well-off financially.
----------------

Whoa!!! I must have lived a sheltered life. What kind of horns are available on the Asian market???

----------------

On 9/6/2003 11:49:35 PM DaddyDee wrote:
Whoa!!! I must have lived a sheltered life. What kind of horns are available on the Asian market???

----------------

Well, a lot that are very similar to those big JBL's. In fact, JBL is probably the biggest player in that particular niche of the Asian loudspeaker market. I recall seeing big horn-loaded JBL's in Bangkok audio shops, none of which are available here. Also, horn-loaded Tannoys are highly prized (and available).

Dean----JBL came round to the conclusion some years ago that it was a reasonable compromise to trade some efficiency for lower bass. It works, I've heard several JBL systems using their medium efficiency 15" woofs, in fact I owned one, and they sound pretty damned good.

Of course as an old horn DIYer I think the price on these new JBLs is ridiculous and I figure I could build myself a speaker as good for a couple of thousand dollars with parts from Jammin Jersey. But I think some audiophiles don't take a thing seriously unless it's very expensive, these new JBLs should make those goons happy while the astute JBL fans stick with vintage, DIY or pro JBL gear.

----------------

On 9/6/2003 10:56:33 AM Marvel wrote:

Reminds me of too many Mac users. The computer Mac users, not the amplifier Mac users.

Marvel

----------------

But Steve did found a church, didn't he? Jobovah's Witnesses or was it the EcuMacicals?

In reading over the "Dope From Hope' and technical papers from PWK it is pretty obvious he had one way of thinking. For the most part it was a good way (I love my Cornwalls) but he did appear to me a bit too quick to dismiss new ideas. However, he had seen so many come and go he was no doubt a bit jaded when it came to the "latest and greatest" in audio. PWK and Steve Jobs do have some things in common, for better or worse. They both always know best, give the customers what they think the customers need and make excellent, above average products, pushing the envelope of the art!

Mace

At 94dB the JBLs would be less sensitive to low level ss crossover distortion (and feedback noise floors). By making very sensitive speakers, Klipsch makes the amp choice critical. With lower sensitivity the amp quality would not have such an impact, esp in the creation of "harsh" sound.

leok

----------------

On 9/6/2003 10:56:33 AM Marvel wrote:

Reminds me of too many Mac users. The computer Mac users, not the amplifier Mac users.

----------------

----------------

And then Mace said:

But Steve did found a church, didn't he? Jobovah's Witnesses or was it the EcuMacicals?

----------------

Actually, Steve is building a nice little church about a mile from my house! Not bad for a small town, huh. Hallelujah!

The Book of Jobs

J.

Hey Mallet: JBL use to make some kick butt speakers. I don't know about now, since they've combined with HK though.

But my folks own a pair of L250's in Teak that I purchased for them back in 1984. The sound absolutely fantastic and are beautiful to look at.

Cyclone is right though, the spec's don't look impressive, not impressive at all for $25,000 8.gif worth of speakers.

----------------

On 9/10/2003 7:47:41 PM Marvel wrote:

The new G5 cases are really nice to look at. When Apple does it right, it is REALLY right! The insides are good too.

9.gif

Marvel

----------------

Yes, they've been on a tear lately. The iTunes download concept site hit 10 million downloads, the titanium powerbooks are a hit and now they're the first with 64 bit* processing in a desktop box. It's not religion, but there's a reason why Apple's brand loyalty is the envy of almost every other corporation regardless of industry.

*Thanks for the correction. I must've been thining about the part that sits in the chair. 2.gif