4:53 PM: Scanned at FedEx sort facility: COLUMBUS, OH

Deang

I must say, out of all my transactions -- this is the first time I am actually nervous.

Am I the only person left that likes the sound of the 6922? At least, I liked it until some loon on the forum (enter MP3) convinced me it was just a dirty piece of glass.

bm_c_3_2.jpg

I guess tomorrow will be the day I delve deep into the sound of small dirty signal tubes, filthy pentodes, diode switching noise, and loads of electrolytic hash. At least I'll have the Goldpoint attenuators to hear it in all it's glory.

bm_c2_fm.jpg

Time to find out if this guy is the miracle worker many claim him to be.

Build yourself some cabinets and play with some vintage Full-Rangers, or Coax's or Triax's.

I wish I get talk these Knight 12 inch triaxial's that my friend has.

I'd think they would do as well as the Adire 12" two-way or whatever it is.

There is quite a bit of vintage, I have Utah made Realistic 12" coax with a cone tweeter.

Sounds nice, it needs a mate.

----------------

On 9/8/2003 8:16:01 PM DeanG wrote:

LOL

I can't afford the SET amp I want.

Yes. Some Adire Audio HE12's and a measly 3 watts would sound nice at midnight.

----------------

the only tube amps I REALLY want right now are either mint mcintosh vintage (or damn close to perfect), or the carey audio model that uses a 300B in SET operatoin, but those are around 5 large a pair. 15.gif

Yeah Kevin, I'm probably almost as nutty as you. I've never heard this preamp, and don't have an inkling what it sounds like except from what I read in a review.

Why did I buy it?

1) There was no question I wanted to try the amp, and the one thing I have NEVER done is mate a product of any kind with it's natural mate. The amps and preamps are voiced together, and I wanted to hear the pieces together.

2) Bruce Moore designed what can only be referred to as the legendary Paragon preamp. Bruce Moore was orginally hired by Mark Deneen for this purpose -- and the preamp was/is heralded as one of the best sounding ever. He also designed the original Audible Illusions Modulas, and the Companion IIc is basically a tweaked out version of the Modulas linestage circuit.

3) I wanted to revisit the 6922. I figured this was a good piece to do it with.

The real truth is I that I got freaking tired of waiting on the POS from Hong Kong, lost patience, and decided I just needed to get something in here quick before I lost my mind. 9.gif

It's become quite the competition here seeing how many different names we can come up with for this thing!

Nope, not here yet. I do know it finally came in off the Pacific today. It could show up Friday I suppose.

Ha! We all laugh, but wouldn't it be really funny if the silly thing dusts the high dollar Companion. Naahhh, no way.

Mike, I like a good Coax -- I know I like the sound of the ones in my Saturn! That's basically what the Adire is. An el-cheapo Eminence 12" woofer with an el-cheapo compression driver at the center -- and a flat impedence "curve". I think the whole kit is around $600. Of course, I haven't looked in a while.

Dean,

I was curious too-you have 2 preamps on the way?

I think you made a good decision going for components from the same manufacturer. I did that with my Monarchy and with the passive Reveille/Moondog combo. They should complement each other nicely. They look great also!

It will be interesting to hear your review(s).

Yes, the Companion is showing up today -- hopefully in one piece, and the other unit was one I bid and won on an eBay auction.

I'm not looking forward to writing anything about the pieces, especially with my propensity for using superlatives. I will write, but will be using a format that I hope to actually be useful to those shopping for equipment.

Dean, as long as you dont pull out the worst reviewer trick of the "label the sonics" syndrome... That brings an audible groan from this end; at least you dont see it done too much anymore.

One thing you could do, trying playing the combo with a variety of music types and reporting as much. Too many listen to a narrow range of music/conditions.

Looking forward to your comments. Keep an open mind and perhaps go easy on opinion until you have it for a few weeks with a first impressions post and a more detailed followup. I believe Mike82 was going this approach as well.

kh

Kevin -- no, mine is the model below that one. It will be a cold day in hell before I shell out $2700 for a preamp. I love this hobby, but not THAT much. The Companion IIc, with the Goldpoint attenuators, retails for $2300. I picked my unit up for $1200. I paid $2300 for the amp, and the two pieces together will be the most I have ever spent on an amp/preamp combination. I do have limits -- and this stretched them quite a bit.

Kelly -- I think you'll find what I'm going to do...interesting.

You know me pretty good. :) Yeah, I'm really struggling. Fedex usually shows up around 2 PM, and I'm dying to get out of here -- but I'm stuck. I've just got too much I have to get done before I leave -- which means I will probably leave anyways. 3.gif