What about Jubilee Khorn ?

Hel Guedj

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the present time it's only available in a commercial theater version, the KPT-Jubilee. The last I heard (June 03) there are no immediate plans (no rush) to bring the domestic 2-way version into production. They were having some issues with finding a source to produce the mid-high frequency horn to specification. And I don't think they had decided on the material the final production model will be built with. Add to that, the fact that Klipsch is currently introducing so many low-priced models of speakers, it's their priority to attend to these high volume money makers first.

From the Klipsch Product Search, select 'Professional Cinema' -> 'Behind-the-Screen' -> KPT-Jubilee

By the way, welcome to the Forum 2.gif

Yes, it would be 'Heresy'. Khorns don't really need subs if they are properly set up. And quite frankly, I've never heard of sub that matches well to the efficiency of a Khorn. For instance, in my room, the Khorns are down only 9dB at 20Hz. Basically that translates to about 95dB/watt at 20Hz. Who needs a subwoofer?

Besides that, the room size itself becomes the limiting factor to low frequency response. The fact is, in most rooms, at those frequencies, any 'tones' you are hearing are predominantly second and third harmonic distortion.

Let me repeat myself. The actual low frequency response of any speaker is determined by the size/proportions of the room. The smaller the room, the higher the low frequency cut-off. This is a fact. Laws of physics. Not my opinion. We saw this demonstrated at the Klipsch Indy Tour.

And, the Klipsch RSW15 has a -3dB down point of 19Hz. According to my calculations, in my room, with my system, that would require about eight KSW15's to bring up the low end 9dB at 20Hz.

----------------

On 9/18/2003 2:59:15 PM artto wrote:

The actual low frequency response of any speaker is determined by the size/proportions of the room. The smaller the room, the higher the low frequency cut-off. This is a fact. Laws of physics. Not my opinion.

----------------

I'm not questioning your post as I realise that you may have summarized... but what phenomenon would produce this low-frequency cutoff and which law of physics would cause it?

I'm well aware that wavelengths will more than likely be longer than the room dimensions at lower frequencies... and I also understand on how room resonances will greatly affect one's "frequency responce"... just not sure about the roll off?...

Rob

I have never heard a system with SUBs that sounded right. I recently saw a few Scenes of Lord of the Ring at Tweeter on there best system, it had a lot of bass but did not sound natural. I rented the movie and listened to it on my 4 Khorns and it sounded much better.

To me the sound of a Khorn is like clear water. Why mix in muddy water of a SUB?

Think about this, in real life you don't here over emphasized bass so why do you want your home system to sound boomy or unnatural.

I think one can get addicted to over emphasized bass. Withdrawal may take years.

----------------

On 9/17/2003 5:28:50 PM artto wrote:

At the present time it's only available in a commercial theater version, the KPT-Jubilee. The last I heard (June 03) there are no immediate plans (no rush) to bring the domestic 2-way version into production. They were having some issues with finding a source to produce the mid-high frequency horn to specification. And I don't think they had decided on the material the final production model will be built with. Add to that, the fact that Klipsch is currently introducing so many low-priced models of speakers, it's their priority to attend to these high volume money makers first.

From the Klipsch Product Search, select 'Professional Cinema' -> 'Behind-the-Screen' -> KPT-Jubilee

By the way, welcome to the Forum
2.gif
----------------

Hel,

I beleve that artto is exactly right about Indy-Klipsch and the Jubilee.....and that IS Heresy....Like mixing a 50 year old Rothchild with a bottle of Ripple. What ever happened to " limited production models". Yea, I know... $$$$$$$$$$

Terry

----------------

On 9/18/2003 2:59:15 PM artto wrote:

Let me repeat myself. The actual low frequency response of any speaker is determined by the size/proportions of the room. The smaller the room, the higher the low frequency cut-off. This is a fact. Laws of physics. Not my opinion. We saw this demonstrated at the Klipsch Indy Tour.

----------------

So according to your "physics", I should only be able to hear 18kHz and up in my headphones.

(For those who aren't so sure of themselves, I suggest that you grab a copy of March 2003 issue of AudioXpress and read Dick Pierce's article "Deep Bass in Small Rooms". He explains the physics, the room rqmnts and the measurement techniques).

John, first of all, its NOT MY PHYSICS (unless of course, you want to consider me God). Second, there are no standard procedures for testing the frequency response of headphones. Three, headphones are essentially direct coupled to your ears. Thats a big difference from asking that same speaker (or any speaker) to project the same frequency into the room. Fourth, I think you would be quite surprised at the actual frequency response of any particular headphone. In this environment, what sounds flat to the ear, is not flat at all.

http://www.akg.com/akg_structuretree/forum/topics/powerslave,_detail,1,id,280,_language,EN,nodeid,2,mynodeid,105.html?flashgo=1

You can also email hotline@akg.com & request a pdf file that will explain headphone technique further.

So no, what ever you (or the manufacturer) seem to think your headphones are capable of, you better think again. 18Hz is stretching it.

Just like with speakers, most manufacturers try to extract the most extreme condition from the component. Any output levels & distortion levels specified at those frequency extremes? Yeah right.

http://headroom.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=123

Kerry & Terry...right on!