RE: GARYMD

dodger

Greetings:

Gary called last night from cell phone. He and Family are okay.

They lost power, cable. Most likely a few days before power is restored.

Generater is working fine.

He had some water infiltration and had to go outside at height to take care of clogged pipe.

He sends his best to all, and especially to others hit by storm.

Sorry I didn't get this up earlier, went out last night, all of today.

He sounded good and his Cornwalls and Scott are safe.

Take Care all. The best to all hit by the storm from my wife and from me. I hope all are physically okay and housing okay or minimal damage.

We are with all of you.

Win

----------------

On 9/21/2003 11:07:46 AM Geo1 wrote:

Very glad to hear that and I hope everything else came out OK.

----------------

Greetings:

Other than some water in the basement and having to go out at the height of the storm to clear a drain, all is well until they get power.

Win dodger

We're finally back! Sort of a timeline:

Thursday:

12:00pm - Storm begins, leave work, takes 2 hours to get home due to car fires/accidents on I95

6:00pm - Lose power, start generator

8:30pm - Cable goes out, hook up rabbit ears

11:00pm - during height of storm, basement starts leaking, located source (clogged drain at base of house) and had to climb through 6 feet of azalea bushes to slice open drain with long screwdriver to clear (PITA - cut myself up pretty good too but stopped leak). Wait out the storm - no sleep.

Next 2 days - Major cleanup. Most of my trees were spared but dozens of 50-100ft trees in my neighborhood came down causing lots of damage to power wires, houses, etc. Spent lots of quality time with wife. Yesterday was our anniversary which we spent hauling branches, taking trips to one of the few open gas stations to fill gas cans for the generator. Lights at many major intersections are still out.

Tonight at 7:04pm (73 hours later) power was restored. Hooray!!!!

We got nailed by this one. We're lucky to have power this soon. The electric company spent all day in my neighborhood cutting trees, repairing wires, etc. then after 2 attempts including a blown transformer, they got us up and running. My 2 brothers are still without. Having a generator is nice but it's work also. Got to time gas fillage so you can get a good night sleep, change oil, make multiple trips to the gas station and keep your neighbors food cold, not to mention having them over to watch movies and football games.

Thanks for the post Win. It's great to be back to the real world.

What did I miss?

1.gif

Thanks guys. We were actually very lucky. There are so many people out there suffering because of this storm.

People waited hours in line for dry ice to find none was left when it was their turn. Many waterfront businesses and homeowners lost everything. I'm sure you've seen all this and more on tv.

A beautiful 75 ft weeping willow came down, roots and all, across the street from me. We walked around the neighborhood helping when we could, especially with our older neighbors.

How's Mobile doing? Any losses? I was sorry to see Steven's pear tree bite the dust.

----------------

On 9/21/2003 9:45:16 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

spokesman yesterday said that many will be without power even into next Friday. Over half our church congregation is without power. I live in a neighborhood where powerlines are underground so we were spared. Think of all those in this area who telecommute. It's going to be a long week for them.

----------------

I live in a 40 yr old neighborhood with the power lines running through overhead poles between backyards. I think it's about time BGE starts moving some of these lines underground. Like I said before, we lose power during light showers! Most underground powerline neighborhoods got power back in less than 24hrs if they lost it at all.

Did you lose power? If so, how long did BGE take to get you up and running?

I bought the generator knowing we would lose power for at least 2-3 days.

No power loss whatsoever. Just a few flickers and surges zapping out my DSL modem. Rebooted it and everything was fine. Our family went for a walk around 12:30 AM. We got a little wet and the wind was gusty, that was all. The storm was all but over for us by then - no 2AM hit as was threatened. We did walk around many downed trees and branches, however. I tried to explained to my wife, who is from the midwest, what horizontal rain does to windows, but we never got it. Thank God.

That's pretty weird since you live about 5 minutes from me. I saw some horizontal rain at about 11:00 when I was clearing my gutter. It didn't last long but it hit me in the face pretty hard when it was there. We were lucky not to get more rain or it could have been a real mess. The light at 108 and Columbia Rd was still out about an hour ago!

I experienced the outskirts of hurricane Agnes while living on the Eastern Shore and have seen rain blowing in around windows for, it seemed, hours. I saw none of that with this storm. I have friends who live off Old Columbia Road and they are without power. I have neighbors who have a condo on North Beach and the first floor of their building is/was under water. Their condo is on the second floor. We were lucky with this one, no doubt.

----------------

On 9/22/2003 7:41:40 AM fini wrote:

Great news, Gary! So, no structural damage to your place? Happy Anniversary!

fini

----------------

Thanks Fini. Maybe a little structural damage to my lower back from the clean up but the house is in tact. Good excuse not to buy anniversary gifts. We bought each other half a generator.2.gif

Gary,

Good to hear that all is well. We lost power @11:00pm Thursday and our phone and cable shortly after. I was expecting lots of rain so I bailed out the sump well and kept a vigil for a few hours but the buckets o' rain never fell. It wasn't until the next morning that I realized the cause - our neighbors tree had snapped in half and took out our lines. Ripped them right off the house!

Friday, we threw out some food in the refrigerator and took the rest to a friend's empty condo, drove around a bit, found a new restaurant (Caribbean Grill & Houka Bar- excellent babaganoush and kabob!), read by flashlight and went to bed early. Saturday am, the BG&E crew showed up and within an hour, we had electricity. I spliced the cable line myself and other than the phones, we're back in business.

OAN, I received plenty of calls (on my cellphone) from friends and family who had seen Baltimore on tv and thought we were one big flooded disaster zone. Fact is, most of Baltimore was unscathed by the storm and looked perfectly normal. There were areas that got pretty beat up and that where the news crews went - if you just watched the news, you'd think that all 3.5 million of us Baltimorons were out of power with waist-high water in our living room.

I'm thankful that the storm didn't do anymore damage and I'm hopful everyone made it through safely. I'm a bit more jaded about the news but I'm sure that will fade eventually. Thanks for all the prayers and kind thoughts, Bryan

My son in Salisbury (15 miles from Ocean City) got a little wind. That's it!!! My area got hit pretty hard but others didn't see much at all. A very strange storm. Glad you were ok Bryan. My next door neighbors were up until 3:00am bailing out their sump. Otherwise they would have flooded. Other neighbors gave up and let it flood. We had a good amount of rain in our neighborhood. Very strange indeed.

BTW - Larry Clare, another local came out fine also. He lost power from Thurs to last night also but his house was spared. He lives in a neighborhood with huge trees so he got pretty lucky, thank God.