Upgrade for Lascala ???

tcb

aaron,

When we ask what crossover its because Klipsch made many versions of crossover for the heritage line over the years. If you look at the crossover on the side it will tell you what version you have like A, AA, AL and so forth some crossovers are better than others. But no matter what you do your never going to get a Lascala in any placement or crossover to go much lower then 45hz I believe mine go slightly below that but I attribute this to them being kind of in a cubby hole so they actually use 3 walls to help produce bass. The amp your using is not going to be a big bass producer I would bet but still should do alright.

Craig

The problem is you are used to the forte2. You won't get the same bass with the lascala. Either get a good subwoofer, sell or trade for cornwalls or enjoy the lascalas as they are. They are wonderful speakers, but they will never go as low as what you are used to. Good luck.

Try searching for Marvel's posts from early July onward about modifying the lascalas.It looks to this uneducated person that it might be a viable solution to going lower. The K-Horns did not work in my listening room to my dissapointment. Went back to the lascalas. Building new component shelves now so won't be able to try marvel's mod's for a bit but I imagine I will. Good luck, Randy

Take my opinions on the LaScala's with a grain of the proverbial salt since I havent heard a pair in YEARS, but I have not heard subwoofers mated with horns do hardly any justice to the system as horns just tend to sound so much faster. Thus, the sub seems to bring the horns down a notch. OThers have found certain subs to work but I just am not a fan of subs in systems. And a sub with horns seem to be even more problematic in my book. I would appreciate the QUALITY of the bass if not the quantity. Perhaps one can do a few things with amplification as well. But adding a sub, in my view, would give the presentation more of a one note bass presentation, something that would defeat the nice horn loaded bass to begin with. Another option is to move to the Cornwall or Khorn...still, quality amplification and room placement will go a long way without having to resort to such drastic measures as a sub.

kh

I would have to totally agree with Kelly. I used a sub with great success with my Heresy's but once Lascalas enter my system the Sub is almost never used it stands out like a sore thumb ! I would also add that this was only a KSW15 so with a better sub you mileage may very. I find that my Lascalas make such tight controlled bass the sub is just not needed. How many types of music really even go any lower then 45 hz anyway ?

It IS hard to mate subwoofers with horn systems. Most powered subs have much higher distortion than the La Scala's bass horn. That said, the size and length od a La Scala's bass horn limit the low bass. In a corner they will begin to roll off below 60 Hz and the output falls pretty fast. If you want to go deeper, a big, clean subwoofer(s) is the only way. There are some "J" shaped horn subs out there that are roughly 2 feet x 4 feet x 8 feet that would certainly work.

I like my 2 subs and Acurus amp.

This is the only thing Kelly says for which I must take exception. It is true that a modest sub-woofer, like the KSW series, has plenty of mid-bass output (60Hz), which intrudes on the LaScala and Cornwall bottom end. These subs must be used with slight equalization and volume, but they can still help fill in the missing low-end octaves. They make wonderful additions to home movie and music reproduction systems.

Only powerful and deep sub-woofers, like the SVS tubes, which can reach down below 40Hz, are going to truly balance out the big ole horns frequency response and fill in the bottom. For accurate music listening, meaning a flat frequency response to at least 30HZ, if not 25Hz, you need a powerful sub. Although I lived with Cornwalls for over a decade and only briefly auditioned the LaScalas, in my own home, with the same music and equipment, any loudspeaker that can reach only 60 or 50HZ is missing out on the thrilling low bass range. Powerful subs however, may require an investment equal to your current system. Powerful and deep subs sold in retail stores average about $1500. I scored a new Klipsch LF-10 (ill-fated precursor to the RSW series) for only $500 off Ubid.com. This was a much deeper and more powerful sub than the KSW. Its frequency response peaks at about 40Hz. Because of this, it is far more enjoyable, and useful, addition to my system for both movies and music.

Horn loaded subs would do a much better job. They can be far more efficient, faster and more accurate sounding, fitting into the sound of the big ole horns better, but they also gobble up precious listening room space like Pacmen.

2.gif

Well HDBR first told me this idea and i said ok i will try it,,,,get HK430 reciever,...then take metal sliders off bottom of LaScala and put on grippers from wal-mart if LaScala is on smooth hard floor...i did and it does work,,,,rick9.gif i also put a gripper in center of bottom of bass bin,,,i think that helped to