amps/amp that work with belles.

rputz

----------------

On 9/29/2003 10:18:40 PM NOSValves wrote:

Kelly,

You’re going to have to explain to me why every time someone (it really doesn't matter who it is) states the that don't absolutely love SET you go into pouncing on them ? Paul stated his opinion of the subject at hand. If Paul doesn't care for SET why must he be bashed for these beliefs ? Whether or not he has heard it on his system is not the point here is it ? He feels 3 watts is not enough and decided to answer the question with his opinion. The poster I'm sure is a reasonable adult that can make up his own mind. I don’t see why everyone just can't state there recommendations and leave it at that.

This argument is just plain ridicules no one even knows what type of music he listened to or at what volume and room size. Wouldn't you feel salty if he come back and say's he listens to the likes of Mudvayne and Chevelle at 110 dB in a 28 X 60 room ?

Seems like this discussion isn't about what the poster should do its more like lets slam Paul's opinion !

Craig

----------------

Craig,

Up here in the North, we've learned to be suspicious of guys who've never seen any green amps before.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DEan, the sad thing is that this wouldnt surprise me. Heh... You have been even more spry than usual regarding your gear. I personally think it's the lovely fall weather just rolling in.

btw, Dean, hop onto that thread with the Saxophone Colossus "Blue 7" sample and give it a listen for the musical content. This is a great piece that you might like even though not fast paced. Some good work.

kh

----------------

On 9/30/2003 12:24:51 PM mobile homeless wrote:

DEan, the sad thing is that this wouldnt surprise me. Heh... You have been even more spry than usual regarding your gear. I personally think it's the lovely fall weather just rolling in.

btw, Dean, hop onto that thread with the Saxophone Colossus "Blue 7" sample and give it a listen for the musical content. This is a great piece that you might like even though not fast paced. Some good work.

kh

----------------

I listened to that cd on the way into work this morning. I especially liked the prior cut, "Mac The Knife."

My Cannonball Adderly lps arrived at my desk about 5 minutes ago so I'm eager to get out of here and go home to listen on my high powered 40 watt amp.9.gif

I also had a nice visit with Larry Clare at lunch today. He's got one hell of a system but he's too modest I think to post much about it. Beautiful '62 mohogony khorns and lots of magnificent gear I can't pronounce.2.gif Sarah Vaughn was in the room with us this afternoon.

Thanks for the audition Larry. This was my first real khorn experience and I'm looking forward to a follow-up visit.

Hello:

Welcome to the Forum.

The questions have been asked, they are indede a statrting place for the type of Amplifier:

1. What size room will you be doing your listening in?

2. What type of music is your preference most of the time for listening?

3. Will you have one (1) pair of Speakers or will you utilize two (2)?

4. What type of furnishings are in your room - carpeted floor, heavy fabric furniture? Many pieces of furniture?

5. Are your walls reflective, bare plater or bare drywall?

6. Do you have wall tapestries, artwork, framed photographs on your walls?

7. Are there wall surfaces or archways across from your speakers?

8. Will you only be listening to your system in the room contained, or in other rooms also?

9. What are the height of your ceilings?

10. How close are your neighbors and do you share any common walls or floor?

11. What volume do you wish to achieve? Remember to take in mind the highest volume you will actually use (parties, etc.) and listening, alone or with other(s).

12. What is your budget and do you wish to purchase new, used or Vintage equipment? After recommendations.

13. Do you know the: factor sound pressure level drops after each metre and the distortion levels of low or high powered amplifiers?

These are some of the questions that need to be answered in order to give the most intelligent answers.

You will note SET vs higher powered amplifiers differing of opinions. Only your ear will tell you what pleases you. Listen to both. If possible borrow GOOD examples of each. Listen to each at as close to the same volume level as possible. In stereo shoppes, Sales Clerks are often trained to demonstrate the brand the store prefers to sell, or is closing out, at a higher volume level. Upon first listen and for a few moments the louder seems to be better. It is auditory illusion.

But it is the reason why a "rock music" concert is louder at the end and during encores - better review, higher desire for concert goers to buy the Artist(s) CDs.

After you have answered the above questions, gone to different shops to audition equipment - take a CD or Album you know, that you like and has a variety of instruments and also a variety of quiet to loud passages - a full dynamic range.

If you do all of that and possibly borrow equipment and test it in your home, you most likely will be able to answer the question you asked, yourself.

dodger

Dean, what happened to your sense of humor? Why everything so literal? Man, dont want to piss you off here. Lord. The Spry comment was a complete throw-away line mainly relating to you possibly getting into the DRD-2A3 camp.

One question: Why do you find it so hard to listen to new music that might push the bounderies out? You almost make a point of it. Youre a hard chap to figure sometimes.

kh

----------------

On 9/30/2003 2:56:24 PM dodger wrote:

Hello:

The Belles were named in honur of PWK's first wife.

Is the original poster still reading this thread?

As I said, on behalf of all, Welcome to the Forum.

dodger

----------------

Win,

I think he's long gone. Or else he's just sitting back laughing at all the ruckus he started. I mean, we started.

On 9/30/2003 12:36:40 PM garymd wrote:

I also had a nice visit with Larry Clare at lunch today... Sarah Vaughn was in the room with us this afternoon.

Thanks for the audition Larry. This was my first real khorn experience and I'm looking forward to a follow-up visit.

----------------

And thank you, Gary. You're giving me a great start in learning about other than classical music! Incidentally, I have the Smithsonian Classic Jazz LP album, haven't got into it much so far. The cassette tape with Sarah Vaughn adds a few sampler minutes of the Monteverdi Vespers.

----------------

On 9/30/2003 4:21:31 PM larryclare wrote:

On 9/30/2003 12:36:40 PM garymd wrote:

I also had a nice visit with Larry Clare at lunch today... Sarah Vaughn was in the room with us this afternoon.

----------------

And thank you, Gary. You're giving me a great start in learning about other than classical music! Incidentally, I have the Smithsonian Classic Jazz LP album, haven't got into it much so far. The cassette tape with Sarah Vaughn adds a few sampler minutes of the Monteverdi Vespers.

----------------

Larry,

I started listening to it in the car on the way home today. It sounds fantastic! Thanks again. Very thoughtful of you. Between that and my new Cannonball Adderly CDs, my commute for the next few days will be much more tolerable.1.gif

BTW, I can't get anything from your strobe either. I even pulled out the table and used a flashlight. I'm not worried though. Everthing is sounding good now.

"Dean, what happened to your sense of humor? Why everything so literal? Man, dont want to piss you off here. Lord. The Spry comment was a complete throw-away line mainly relating to you possibly getting into the DRD-2A3 camp."

Oh, I'm fine. My sense of humor is completely intact -- just ask Allan. :) I wasn't angry, I was just still reeling from getting through this bizarre thread.

I really wanted to put those DRD's in a system, but after hearing those MP3's, I'm about half scared out of my wits. :)

"One question: Why do you find it so hard to listen to new music that might push the bounderies out? You almost make a point of it. You're a hard chap to figure sometimes."

Yikes. I don't have a problem with new music, and hey man, I got Mudvayne in my eye -- now if that ain't pushing the boundaries...I'm not hard to figure out at all. The music has to move. That's it. When the music moves -- I'm moved.

As far as the debate goes: Amplifiers have distortion, and the louder you listen, the worse it is.

Read, learn, experiment -- and then pick your poison.