Reference Series No Match for Legends

Perhaps you all should go to the Home Theater forum and read the topic titled "Just received RC-7 and RS-7's - Jaw still on the floor". The new stuff is hitting the dealers now. This is where the rubber meets the road. Take a listen at a dealer near you.

Jim

Can't find thread on Home Theater Forum..

Please HELP.. TIA

------------------

Fronts: KLF30's paired with KSW15's.

Center: KLF-C7

Sides: KSP-S6's paired with Pinacle Baby Boomers.

Rears: KLF-20's with one KSW-12 in between.

Denon AVR-5800

Denon DVD-3300 DVD-A with iScan Pro(Prog scan)

Sony KP-53XBR300 TV

Denon DCM5000/DCM5001 CD Changers

Denon CDR-W1500 CDRW

Denon TU-1500RD Tuner

HHB CDR850 Pro CDRW

Tascam DA-302 Dual DAT

ButtKicker/Behringer EX-1200/Carvin DCM-1000

Monster HTS5000/HTS2500

This message has been edited by red_eye on 06-12-2001 at 08:40 PM

re, that'd be this site's home theater section.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

I have just discovered this forum and wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I bought the KLF 20's just over a year ago and I am sure glad that I decided to buy them. These speakers are fantastic and probably have the flattest frequency response of any Klipsch design to date. I have even measured the frequency response in my own listening room and it is very flat except for a 4db peak at about 200 HZ.

I can not imagine that the new Reference series replacements have a frequency response as flat. First, I would expect the relatively large woofers to start rolling off before the 2000+ HZ crossover. Second, the tweeter horn in the KLF 20 is unusually flat and I can not believe that the new tweeter horn could be any flatter since it covers more frequencies. How about adding frequency response graphs for the RF-7 and KLF20 in this forum?

I hope that replacing the Legend series with the Reference series is not as big of a mistake as when the CF series replaced the Heritage series. The performance of the CF series left a lot to be desired and the CF series also had two way speakers. These speakers were not on the market for very long, so I think Klipsch can not dispute this.

I have my own theories for replacing the Legend series.

1. It is far easier to design an entire home theater suite of speakers with a smaller horn at a higher crossover frequency. Just try to imagine creating a matching surround speaker for the Legend series with the sizable horn that are in these speakers. Just look at the size of the center speaker in this series to get an idea and this is a two way with a high crossover. Thus, it is not matched very well anyway(and neither are the recommended surrounds).

2. Klipsch is trying to get the sound of the speakers similar to other brands while keeping the high sensitivity. An acoustic guitar through the Reference series with their cone midrange can not possibly sound as dynamic and lifelike as through the Legend series. A horn covering the midrange frequencies makes it a real Klipsch to me.

One more question: How come the RF-5 speakers cost nearly twice as much as the RF-3 speakers when both have the same identical woofers and are in a similar sized cabinet?

"I would give my eye teeth for a pair of K-Horns, but I will never be able to justify the cost, unless I win the lottery or something. To me, the Heritage and the Legend series were kinda like the good ol' American

V-8s that Richard Petty used--powerful, simple, and a lot of fun. We are indeed lucky that Klipsch still makes the K-Horn, Belle, LaScala and Heresywe certainly cant run over to the Chrysler dealer and order up a 70 Hemi Cuda! The Reference series, like a slick Porsche or Beemer is the necessary evolution, and we should never stop advancing the science of speaker or automobile technology, but there are those of us who prefer the warmth and character of the older stuff. "

Mr Blorry.

You and I are of the same mind. I would be in heaven to have a pair of new K-Horns, a '70 Hemi Cuda and while I'm at it, a 25 year old blonde hottie. Now that's nirvana.

About the two-way vs three-way debate:

Personally I usually like two-way designs beter except that the two way designs RARELY are even throughout the entire spectrum of sound that they reproduce..let alone the fact that they can seldom reproduce sound below 30Hz. I am a fan of the two-way plus bi-amped sub designs that I have run into, including the now discontinued RP-3 and RP-5. Nothing matches a good set of speakers with a good set of amplified DUAL subs. (Yeah, I may not ba able to tell exactly what direction the low frequencies are coming from, but I certainly CAN tell if it is a single sub or multiple subs).

Here's the poop. Klipsch wanted to sell subwoofers as well as speakers and fully hornloaded speakers as well. As such, they bailed out of the speakers with built-in powered subs AND almost all reasonably priced three-way designs figuring that you would have a three-way once you purchased the sub. This will continue for a few years until the sub craze dies down, and then Klipsch will reintroduce a reasonably priced three-way system again.

I can't argue with the numbers, but I have a problem with Klipsch using the same logic that Infinity used to allow their product line to become so wimpy.

Now let's look at the THX line of computer speakers...

• 2 weeks later...

Hear! Hear! Well spoken mdeneen!!! cwm2.gif

I, too, respect the needs for ANY speaker company to chase the curve of prosperity in this "sell or be eaten" world. But I also deeply respect the old horns that got them to where they are.

Fortunately, Klipsch seems to have some upper-end horn preservation strategies on the back burner... and they do tolerate our candid comments on this BB. And I do recall that no less a personage than BobG himself said (after a heavily pro R_7 pitch) that there may be some old reprobates that still prefer the K-sound of Legends.

I try to keep an "open ear" out of a sense of fair play... but your comments resonate in my election to wait before driving across the state to hear the latest and greatest offerings. But I sure would for some used 15" chunks of K-yesteryear!

Thanks for being there mdeneen... I'll save a standing wave for you Wavey.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-09-2001 at 09:17 AM

• 2 weeks later...

Rgdawsonco, you hit on a winning topic with this thread as the number of replies and "hits" indicate. Given the positions taken by K-consumers and K-minions alike on the new Ref line, and given the lateness with which the new Ref line has made its way to dealer sound rooms, your post deserves to be rescued from second page oblivion in this fast paced Klipsch world.

Perhaps we can get an update on these comments from posters who live in areas where these "latest & greatest" may be heard. Comments anyone?

cwm14.gif HornEd (part of the R_7 unheard herd... victims of store level datagum stratagem!)

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-09-2001 at 09:35 AM

• 6 years later...

I love these old threads,lol.It's always nice to see names of old friends.Since I have both I feel I can state my opinion with an informed view.I really like the 20's,good all around speaker and a steal at $6-700.I would never part with my 7's in favor of 20's.I've heard the best the 20's can do,the point at which higher quality pre/amp/source has little or no effect.I've never heard the best the7's can do cause I have too many other hobbies to invest the bread it takes to top out the 7's.