On a lighter note, went to see Steely Dan last night...

ChrisK

Whew! It seems to be getting a little heavy in here today. Anyway, went to Universal Amphitheater last night and saw Steely Dan. Great show. Here's how I saw it.

Music - 9

Donald ***en's singing - started out as a 6, finished as an 8

Walter Becker's singing - no comment

Back up "Jiggly Girls" - solid 9 for booty shaking Oh, and another 9 for their singing

Band - very solid 9.5

Sound system - 6 to 7 at best

Multimedia displays - a very interesting 9 or better.

Rockasaurus nostalgia factor - big fat 10

Overall - gotta give the show as a whole at least a 9, except the ticket prices were outrageous ($125)

It appeared as though all 3 guitarists had older, "Fender type" heads on their very modern looking amp/speaker stacks. Could these have been tube units? If so, I'm sure SET would have been better.2.gif

We were lucky enough to have backstage passes (courtesy of a good friend) and got to talk to the musicians. Very professional, interesting group of people. I forgot to ask about the amp heads.

WF mentioned that Horace Silver was in the audience. Too bad he didn't get up on stage to blow a little. Cornelius Bumpus sounded pretty good anyway.

Anybody seen any interesting music performances lately?

Regards,

Chris

Note - I re-read the post and tried to fix the *** in Donald F's name, but it won't take. Is this some sort of censoring triggered by certain letter patterns? Boy, talk about Big Brother!

It's nice that Horace is out and about more these days--sat next to him at Jazz Bakery for the Heath Bros. a few months back and he looked really good. I doubt he can play, but it's great just to have him around. Bill Perkins used to speak REALLY highly of ***en and Becker (he played on just about all of their records)-- he respected them in just about every way you can imagine. I have always liked their stuff when I've heard it here and there and I'll bet I would have loved the show.

Allan,

Kind of interesting that Fegan (miss-spelled on purpose) and Becker are held in such high regard by such renowned musicians. I honestly felt that last night they were the weakest players on the stage. Not that they aren't talented, moreover they seem to surround themselves with superior players. Once again, they played fine. IMWO, just not to the level of the other band members. Also it was interesting that Becker followed every song from a chart. Even during his "solos". The arrangements were not that intricate and this was the tail end of the tour. Not to mention, he's probably played these songs a gazillion times.

Chris

Sounds like it was a good show. It also sounds like the guys are getting old. I still really like them though. They were pretty good pioneers in fidelity back in their hey day. Dan recordings always sounded a little higher in fidelity than most other recordings at the time. That was just after I got into Klipsch as a youngster.

KamaKiriad is a DF solo album that was one of his best if not his best.

I saw the show in Dallas and then a week later in Vegas. I would concur with the 9, although Vegas was a 10 as the sound system was far superior to Dallas. I would also agree the band as a whole carried the day versus Danold and Walter, I spelled it incorrectly on purpose. All in all though,a great show each time. I was particularly impressed with Jon Herington o guitar, and also curious like you as to why WB was playing off charts.

I went to "my old school", both becker and ***an went to Bard College, my Alma Mater for undergrad...a bohemian landscape if ever there was one. Brings back old times...I thought these guys didn't tour?...I guess the almighty buck got them on the road again...regards, tony

I went to the Tampa show last month. Definitely a 10 for me. Vegas only introduced players in the band if they were from NY it seemed. Some musicians were not even introduced.

They played mostly older stuff but I still felt that there were plenty left I would have liked to hear. The list is just too long and he played for 2 1/2 hours with no starting band.