Five Best?

NIUHuskies

Ok, today I picked up The "Italian Job" on DVD. With the relase of "Matrix Reloaded" on Tuesday two of the best car / chase movies have been released within a short time. This begs the question what are the best five car / chase movies of all time. Lets focus on only the chase aspects of the movie forgeting acting, directing, ect. So here are my choices, what are your's???

5. "The Fast And Furious"

4. "The Italian Job"

3. "Matrix Reloaded"

2. "Ronin"

1. "Bullitt"

Also of note should be "Gone in 60 Seconds" I didn't put it on my list because of that stupid jump scene on the bridge in the Shelby.

I can't believe you didn't include "The French Connection" as that was the movie that began all car chases. It is still the definitive car chase, despite being shadowed by the razzle dazzle ones nowadays.

Plus - acting, cinematography, and directing are all HUGE HUGE factors (if not the only factors) in a car chase, so excluding those would be like watching a blank screen.

----------------

I can't believe you didn't include "The French Connection" as that was the movie that began all car chases. It is still the definitive car chase, despite being shadowed by the razzle dazzle ones nowadays.

Plus - acting, cinematography, and directing are all HUGE HUGE factors (if not the only factors) in a car chase, so excluding those would be like watching a blank screen.

----------------

Yes yes, you are correct, leaving of the "French Connection" was a major oversight. Let me restate what I intended by exluding factors such as acting ect from our choices of great car / chase movies. I should have used the word scene instead of movies - that is what are the the five best car - chase "scenes". When saying what I said, I only intended to suggest that a bad movie shouldn't be left out because of poor performances. Hope this clears some things up.

Humm ok how about -

1 Bullit

2 ORGINAL Gone In 60 Seconds

Really could swap 1 and 2 tough call

3 Bad Boys II

4 Blues Brothers

5 Smokey and the Bandit

Almost made the list:

Italian Job (both the orginal and remake versions)

The French Connection (good call on that one too)

The Fast and Furious movies

Gone in 60 Seconds Remake

Bad Boys I

The Transporter

Swordfish and Speed (technically bus chases)

Blues Brothers 2000

Attack of the Clones (speeder chase) and Return of the Jedi (jet bike thingy chase)

Ronin

Various James Bond Flicks

Martix Reloaded

Laters,

----------------

On 10/9/2003 4:39:37 PM MichaelShaffer wrote:

Gone in 60 Seconds (the original) the whole movie is one big car chase.

----------------

Absolutely...I have the DVD and it is awesome...

Others

RONIN....awesome camera...you can see fear on deniro's face

Blues Brothers....I think record for most damaged cars....

French Connection, Bullitt,

Gumball Rally...awesome cars....

Does the POD race count in Star Wars Phantom Menace?

nicholtl, car chases, who can forget the opening scenes of "Freebee and the Bean"? Still LMAO just thinking about it.

My favorite 5 movies? Final Countdown, The Hunt For Red October, High Anxiety,History of the World Part I,(Still waiting for II Mel,and Dirty Harry.

Rick

----------------

On 10/9/2003 5:00:22 PM michaelstano wrote:

I can't believe that more people have not seen this movie--great driving and great martial arts: "The Transporter." No, really. Didn't get much press, but it is well done and one of my favorites.

----------------

It was awesome the beginning was very good.....

I believe it was the movie "Bullitt" that actually set the standard. Four years later came The French Connection. It would be a tough call between those two. Pretty realistic stuff. I just watched TFATF II with my kid and although it was entertaining, it's several laps behind the two classics mentioned above.

Bullitt? Interesting, I haven't seen that one yet. In fact, I wasn't even alive when French Connection came out, I just studied the heck out of it in film school. William Friedkin also came to speak to us about it. He said when shooting that scene, he wouldn't tell the cinematographer where the cars and actors would be coming from. Likewise, he didn't tell the actors where the camera would be. That way, the entire chase scene has the gritty documentary realism to it...because nobody knew what to play for, it seemed totally natural.