Best tube amplifiers under $1200, new or used

Deang

I have a developed a short list of amps, and I'm really on the fence. I am considering going for some Wrights, or building the DRDs (or having Craig build them if I can get him to forgive me) -- and since all push-pulls sound pretty much the same 9.gif, I'm also considering buying something like an Anthem Amp1 just for blow out sessions (at $500, it's hard to go completely wrong here).

Then of course, there is the AE-25 DJH.

for $1,500 you are somewhat limited but...

vintage (in my order of preference)

H&K Citation II

Brook 12A

Marantz 8B

McIntosh MC240

Pilot 232

your list re: new is exactly on except you left out trying to convince JFL to build you a 2A3 PP amp...my "last" amp, could be your too!

regards, tony

Jeff and I have been talking about putting up a detailed "step by step" site with pictures and instructions on how to build a quality PP Triode 2A3 Monoblock using the best PP iron you can source (and not too cheap either). I see this coming in the 6 months, maybe less depending. Although Jeff will be using these $$$ outputs, the choice of a lower cost option is easily substituted, perhaps without much sacrifice. Jeff just wants to go ALL OUT with this one.

Will this happen? The verdict is not in, but my guess is a 90% of it going online.

For you, if you want low level listening on very high efficiency speakers, a good SET might be OK. I think to fully love this approach, you might need to expand your music collection a bit.

Thinkning of options here - might throw some up in a bit.

kh

KH-

I for one would be very interested in the PP2A3. I have mentally kicked around the idea of asking him to build one. Trouble is, he doesn't know me from a hole in the ground (though I'm sure he could tell the difference), and I don't have the liquidity to go forward in the forseeable future. I don't enjoy bothering people without good reason. If you were to go ahead with your idea to make instructions available, I would archive them for possible future use.

Past discourse has piqued my interest in classic triodes. I briefly considered that 6BG6 idea, but have resolved to use them in the future for an instrument amp (PP or SE, that I have not decided). Nobody seems too excited about the refinement of pentodes for a music system, and that is the direction here.

Regards,

Ben

I will guess an answer here in that ole Jeff is no longer building amps for anyone, most notably out of the country. He might sell amps he has built for himself, but not make on demand. We tried that one, and it was not the right timing.

On the other hand, this site could be a great source. We'll see what happens. My guess, most wont have the ducats to afford the Peerless copy MagneQuest iron. But cheaper options ARE around.

kh

----------------

On 10/10/2003 11:59:09 AM mobile homeless wrote:

I will guess an answer here in that ole Jeff is no longer building amps for anyone, most notably out of the country. He might sell amps he has built for himself, but not make on demand. We tried that one, and it was not the right timing.

On the other hand, this site could be a great source. We'll see what happens. My guess, most wont have the ducats to afford the Peerless copy MagneQuest iron. But cheaper options ARE around.

kh
----------------

Kelly,

I just recently sold my Cary 300SEI and am now using a Scott 299 (A, second edition) NOS Valves rebuild. While the Scott definitely has it's advantages over the Cary, I'm missing the SET "Magic". While I'll keep the 299 for a second system that is slowly being assembled, I'm shopping now for something to replace the Cary. What amp or amp design might be the best at accomplishing the best of PP and SET. You have mentioned often about 300B and 2A3 amps (PP?) that might fit the bill. Can you name some examples?

Thanks,

Chris

----------------

On 10/10/2003 11:59:09 AM mobile homeless wrote:

kh

----------------

That sums up pretty much the current situation.

As for the step by step site,

The MQ iron I'll use are the permalloy SA-240. Iwould use the term "reissue" instead of copy as MagneQuest have all the Peerless and Altec archives related to transformers. The permalloy version is 900 USD a pair. The standard version is cheaper at 600 or 700 USD a pair (I think).

Another costly gizmo is the permalloy EXO-173 center tapped choke that will be used as a phase splitter. Those are around 350 USD a pair. There is a M4 or M6 version at cheaper though. I have no idea of the price.

Even in the budget version it will be somewhat costly so it will be address at DIYers with a certain level of budget.

----------------

On 10/10/2003 11:16:17 AM mobile homeless wrote:

Jeff and I have been talking about putting up a detailed "step by step" site with pictures and instructions on how to build a quality PP Triode 2A3 Monoblock using the best PP iron you can source (and not too cheap either). I see this coming in the 6 months, maybe less depending. Although Jeff will be using these $$$ outputs, the choice of a lower cost option is easily substituted, perhaps without much sacrifice. Jeff just wants to go ALL OUT with this one.

Will this happen? The verdict is not in, but my guess is a 90% of it going online.

For you, if you want low level listening on very high efficiency speakers, a good SET might be OK. I think to fully love this approach, you might need to expand your music collection a bit.

Thinkning of options here - might throw some up in a bit.

kh

----------------

If you Post it, I WILL build it!!

9.gif

Tom

1061049415.jpg

Actually, that is not far off in character from the Bruce Moore he is selling. I heard the little brother of this, but not in YEARS. Did you like this, Mdeneen? I just never got all hot and bothered by these Audio Research beasts. Power is here, however. But I would imagine low level listening would not be the best, and these things are not the harmonic richness kings. STill, I never heard the 90 (I believe it was the D-76). It would be enough POWER even for non-horns.

Mark, did you ever hear that D-76? (is that the right model #?)

Not sure if you you would be overjoyed at the finesse of that one, however. Neat to have the KT-66 and the 6L6, though. You evidently get 70wpc with the KT-66 which would be more than enough to me.

Mdeneen, you like that for 1200?

kh

Chris, I would go with a quality pair of 2A3 SET Monoblocks with good iron. I actually think you will like this BETTER than the Cary 300B integrated and the bass, suprisingly enough, will actually be a bit tighter with a more neutral midrange. AT least that's my take on a Cary 300B stereo (non tube rectified) vs a quality 2A3 Mononlock SET.

What is your budget? I think you would be surprised at the extension of a modern 2A3 SET with good iron. Keep the 299 as your PP option. Budget?

kh

I too am interested in an additional tube amp. I have been looking into the MC240.

Tony, you list the HK II as a better choice? There is one on Audiogon now for $775. MC240's go for about $1500 in poor condition?

I put a bid on Two Eico HF-60 mono blocks. What do you think of those?

What about the Rogue 88 - with a switch to run in Triode mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

william, my list was highly subjective and made to order for dean...though one of the reasons I have the H&K above the McIntosh is due to the high prices the MC240 is commanding today. I think the H&K is a better amp for the money.

the amp from the list that I think would sound "best" would be the brook, but since I already have a PP 2A3 amp my next choice would be the H&K...anyway...

I am not familair with the Eico amp, I think kelly or someone else may be able to put it into perspective.

re: the rogue, they have racked up lots of great reviews, I have not heard one but they seem to be well designed and made, using quality parts, etc.

best regards, tony

In my view (and I have never heard them but talked to those I trust that have), the EICO HF-60 monoblocks are tough to beat. This is a great circuit, simple, and GREAT GREAT output transformers that are pretty famous. Most of the EICOs use the Chicago Standard outputs which are EXCELLENT in their own right. The HF-60, however, is the ONLY one that uses the Acrosound TO-330 outputs which are supposed to be some of THE best outputs according to many. This is the only difference between this and the HF-50, which uses Chicago. But the HF-60 go for much higher. There were a pair of HF-60 in a chrome chassis that went for big money. They usually for in the $1500 range or so but this Audiogon Auction might be less. It's his SECOND attempt and he didnt meet reserve. Who knows what the reserve is. The HF-35 was the cheapest but least powerful. These big EICOs are VERY nice.

One last point, dont bid on an auction till the VERY end. No need to spark interest although it IS under the reserve still.

kh

----------------

On 10/10/2003 1:37:07 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Chris, I would go with a quality pair of 2A3 SET Monoblocks with good iron. I actually think you will like this BETTER than the Cary 300B integrated and the bass, suprisingly enough, will actually be a bit tighter with a more neutral midrange. AT least that's my take on a Cary 300B stereo (non tube rectified) vs a quality 2A3 Mononlock SET.

What is your budget? I think you would be surprised at the extension of a modern 2A3 SET with good iron. Keep the 299 as your PP option. Budget?

kh----------------

Kelly,

By "good iron" I assume you mean the transformers. Would Bottlehead, Wrightsound or something similar fit the bill? The low wattage rating of 2A3's kinda scares me as I'm looking for something that is quiet with nice detailed sound and some ooomph. My Cary seemed to run out of steam when playing louder Rock, Country or certain passages of Orchestral music (not to mention solo piano music played beyond moderate listening levels.).

As far as budget goes, I had about $3,000 in my Cary and got most of that back in it's sale. So, I guess I'd like to keep it under $4,000.

Last thought, my dream amp would sound similar to the Scott when I have the "Compensator" switch engaged, but with less hum (although the Scott doesn't have much), slightly tighter bass, slightly less treble hiss, a little more midrange bloom and yet retain all the fabulous dynamics and presence this jewel puts out. Geez Louise, after reading this it sounds like I'm asking quite a bit.16.gif