I;m going to have some fun tonight !!

NOSValves

About a month or so ago a local guy gave me a call that had purchased a set of Khorns from a local Klipsch dealer (they were either trade ins or floor models) . Well he had the store deliver them and the delivery company they use is one of my best friends so he has some exposure to Klipsch and Tubes . He ask the new proud owner what he was going to power them with and he replied a "Golden Audio SE-40" but he told my friends he had to have it checked out because it was making some noise. So of coarse my friend gave him my number !! Well he brought the amp over and I gave it a quick once over with DeoXit and all the noise was gone and we listened to it with CD direct ! I thought it was kind of harsh so we put my preamp in the mix which as usual helped a good margin like seems to always be the case with these power amp that they call integrated today ! Since when did a selector switch and volume control = preamp ?? Well I told this new friend he first needed to get a preamp and then see what happens from there. Well he bought a Dared preamp using 12AT7's and is not happy he said my system is leaps and bounds above what his sound like and ask me to bring some gear over to compare tonight !! As you all can imagine it didn't take long for me to say yes and start tearing my system down. I'm taking wires and all !

I will report back what I find/Learn later tonight ! Oh another cool thing is he has the Planet CD player so the source should not be a problem !!

Craig

PS Did I mention the guy is a Sales Rep for Bud the King of Beers ! My kind of guy 2.gif

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 10/15/2003 3:43:58 PM NOSValves wrote:

Oh and I do not want to hear about the typo in the title or for the matter any that maybe in the post
11.gif

----------------

Hello:

I would not do such a thing at this time.

A round of good cheer and a hurrah for your post. May you have an uplifting sonic experience.

In short, welcome back, Craig. Hope you have a blast that you'll remember. :)

Win dodger

----------------

On 10/15/2003 4:13:00 PM NOSValves wrote:

Tom,

I hope you own your own Jet because I'm headed there in a hour !! God knows only a transmission guy could afford one. Have to love those metal shavings
9.gif

Craig

----------------

Jealousy will get you no where!!

2.gif

Tom

Craig : due to my limited time spent on this web site i've lost touch of whats up latly. Do you still have the mark III's and if so are you taking them with you ????

I'd like you to hear for yourself the difference between the scalas and k-horns before i mod my mark III's anymore.

BTW :I fried a k-horn driver during a drunken show off session with some buddys , no lack of HP from the dynaco's 2.gif

----------------

On 10/15/2003 3:43:58 PM NOSValves wrote:

Oh and I do not want to hear about the typo in the title or for the matter any that maybe in the post
11.gif
----------------

Craig,

I wouldn't think of calling any attention to your typeo, I;m not that kind of a guy!

11.gif

setp2003.jpg

End of september 2003

Basement and upstairs are 24x20 , theater room downstairs and k-horn with tubes upstairs.

top floor is wired , insulated and drywalled.

Going to stop for this year as my house is almost paid off ( jan 2004 ) so i don't want to put out any more funds till next spring .

post-10527-1381924978737_thumb.jpg

Dale and others,

I am very happy to announce that yes I took my Mark III's tonight and they were a astounding hit !! We first listened to his existing setup and he was absolutely correct when he described it as ripping his head off in the mid/treble region and lacking bass in a big way ! So out came his amp and in went the Mark III's . Well my new friend was floored and so was I 1.gif Man I wish I could fit Khorns in my house ! The bass those speakers make is just so life like its absolutely stunning ! I think it also helps that the room is much more open then mine ! We listened to just about every gender of music you could name short of Diana Krall, Ella Fitz and Sonny Rollins 2.gif We then put my Maple Tree Audio preamp in the mix and wow another great improvement although not as large as changing the amps.

I did all kinds of crazy pacing around the house trying to find a place where it didn't sound great. The only spot I found that was not entirely presentable was in one corner that seemed to have a over bass sound that muddied up the music ! I also actually called Paulparrot to find out the effects of not having a complete seal down the entire length to the wall his speakers are notched out for a large bass board and his house doesn't have base boards near this size. I can't remember what recording we were listening to at the time but I thought the bass notes were slightly lacking in distinction but later on this proved to be a none issue with other recordings the bass definition ended up being excellent.

I can tell you one thing anyone that limits themselves to a 3.5 watt amps as there only solution is really missing a good portion of what these speakers are capable of ! There is no way in hell I would ever only have a flea powered amp as my only option. They may sound awesome in there operating range but man oh man Klipsch can sound oh so much like front row center at a live event when pushed with a amp with some serious hairy ones !

My final recommendation to my new friend was to send his SE-40 off to Sonic Craft who specializes in upgrading and bringing out the most that amp can do and then we will deal with a preamp issue after that. I figure if Sonic Craft went to the trouble to figure out what that amp requires to make it sing there the best place to do the job besides I don't relish in the chore of trying the hit and miss approach to a circuit board based amp that the circuit board is no longer available if something goes wrong . If that doesn't make him happy with his setup then he will most likely have me build him a set of amps similar to mine !

Boy did I have a ton of fun tonight and I'm sure I will be back over to do some more listening to his system ! Next time I think I'm going to take some choice Vinyl and my TT over there for a whirl ! I can put a notch in my Audio belt because I saved mt first set of KHorns from being sold off from disatisfaction !! The words were " Man this is what I've been reading about these speaker are really awesome"

Craig

PS Dale some small tweaks are in your future for sure !!