garymd

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guy,

How long does it take to be activated and have permission to start a thread in that forum?

I am logged in but they won't allow me to post. I saw you on there earlier.

BTW, I spoke to the previous owner today and he said he threw out the old woofers after replacing about 3 years ago.14.gif He just didn't know any better. He thought he was saving money by replacing them himself. He spent about $300 on the new ones but probably lost a couple hundred throwing out the old.

----------------

On 10/19/2003 4:09:28 PM bkrop wrote:

Your WIFE helped you carry the speakers!!!!

Be afraid, be very afraid...

----------------

She was worried I'd hurt my back.2.gif I'm still in shock, trust me.

They are placed in each of the corners of the short wall and I put wheels on the daybed so it's now movable when I want to listen. They sound good down there but not like upstairs with the scott. I think I'll hook them up to old faithful next (the kenwood) and see what some high powered SS will do with these. Hopefully not pierce my skull with those big horns. I want to see what kind of bass I can get out of them.

----------------

On 10/19/2003 4:30:53 PM Guy Landau wrote:

Gary,

I really don't remember how much time it takes till one's allowed to post.

Do you want me to post anything for you?

----------------

Guy,

Thanks for asking. Would you mind asking if anyone has a set of the 411s in good working condition for sale? I would greatly appreciate it. I'll try to get in myself again later tonight. PM me if you get any responses or you can give them my email address:

gdpowers_7@hotmail.com.

You can also let them know my situation if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks!

P.S. Also wondering about availability of the grill covers. I have the board but no foam.

----------------

On 10/19/2003 6:09:05 PM fini wrote:

Gary,

Are you going to be abandoning us and hanging out with those Altec guys?
8.gif

fini

----------------

No. I love you guys.1.gif

This is the first forum I've ever been on in my life. Kind of like a first child.2.gif

Thanks Guy.

Where've you been JHawk? Good to hear from you again.

My heresys are '72s in desperate need of refinishing. Winter project I guess.

The new speaks are happily residing in the basement with the macs. They won't replace the corns but are a significant improvement over the heresys which will eventually go to my son.

I spent much of the day rearranging the basement to accomodate the altecs. Turns out they fit nicely.

Just to let you guys know, the altec forum ain't nothing like the klipsch forum. Everyone seems to be nice and as helpful as possible but there are very few posts and little going on. Not the same atmosphere as we have here. That's probably why folks like Guy and others who own altecs, JBLs and the like spend most of their time over here.1.gif

I've been on many a forum in my day and this one for the most part moves the fastest and stays interesting ! In my computer hardware quest I stumbled into many active forum but none of them equal the fun I have had in the last 2 1/2 years here I've met some great friends ! When it comes to audio the klipsch forum completely rules over any other audio forum I have found. AA is pretty cool but I hate the format they need to get into this century over there to much like a news group.

Craig

Well, I spoke to my friend and he gave me 2 choices. A pair of 411-8A woofers that need to be reconed or a pair of practically identical JBL woofers ready to play.

Any suggestions?

BTW - He said either will significantly improve the sound over the realistic poly woofers cuurently in use although they sound pretty good to me.

Guy,

I'm not suprised you would say take the Altecs, but I would sure be tempted to take the JBLs. And they already sound good with the Realistic?

I think you are going to be amazed, Gary, no matter which of the two you put in them. How cool.

I am about ready to have a pair of Yamaha S4115H speakers at my house. They are PA speakers that we have had in storage at the college. They are only rated at 100 watts, but they have a horn driver that is rated at 20 watts -800-20kHz. With a 15 in the bottom. Reflex/Horn cab. Even in the shape the cabinets are in (loose screws, etc) they sound pretty good. All beat up though, and it isn't suprising since they weigh 115 pounds each.

Bruce

Bruce, what are your plans with the Yammies? I have heard them play music and wonder what good they are in a private audio setup. Just curious. You got JBL L56's? I had a pair up until last year. Very nice speakers. The buyer said they sounded better than his L-100's. I thought the bass was a little muddy, though - probably the rubber surrounds were a little dryrotted from age. I just landed a pair of L15's that I may use to replace my (sold) kg-4's. Now I need a good (i.e. small) sub.

I'll see what he lets me take. Since they're just gathering dust in his basement he'll probably let me try both. I'm very tempted to get the originals just to have all original components even if it does cost to have them reconed.

I can get it done locally but is there someone I SHOULD have do it? A guy out on the west coast was recommended in the other forum.

Edit: Bill at Great Plains Audio. Maybe not the west coast. Don't know why I thought that.