Cornwalls wake to NOS Valves rebuilt Scott

mark1101

Hello:

I did a review of GarMD's sytem, thus it's not a case of bias. With the distance we live from each other, it wasn't because I was worried about running into him every day. Just yapping at each other. :)

Wolfram sent me an email describing his unit. That description he gave made even me proud and happy.

Well Craig is getting Bill's 299, a 299 I bought and a further upgrade to my 222C. I know of only one other person I would trust to work on my equipment. A very good friend of 30 + years. I am not a trusting soul.

My friend has a desrved position where he doesn't have the time, but he is a genius. I owe a large part of my appreciation of certain equipment to him.

This is a tribute to Dave and Craig.

Perfectionists and they know their stuff - I've heard both of their work and I would give either one a reference, any time, anywhere.

Dave and Craig have and will keep me in listening Nirvana. (not listening to Nirvana, no offense to fans.)

Craig let me borrow a moment to say thanks to my friend and let him know my appreciation of his friendship and knowledge and for all he has done for me.

To Craig, I have seen Customer service in speaking with you and in hearing units.

To both thank you sincerely.

Win dodger

Ok, I ordered the Greatfull Dead CD. I am also going tonight to get a CD of Darryl Hall "Can't Stop Dreaming." If you have not heard Cab Driver yet you are missing out. Great easy listening, I believe POP, soundtrack.

Hey Wolfram, how about the Eico/Marrantz comparison. I know the speakers are way off but maybe you have something to report. Maybe you could A/B them with the Khorns. I know Gary would be interested to hear. I would even be interested in the MX110/Eico/Marrantz opinion. It seems you have all the gear so are our best bet on a good post.

Hey Win, I listen to Nirvanna, I mean to say I have their CD.

TIME OUT - now that the cat is out of the bag. Yes Gary has sent a MC240 to Craig for me. Yes, Win has sent Graig a 299 for me. Yes Mark's post was mouth watering. No, I do not have ESP, it is obvious I was now that I was hiding something. Yes, I have now spent all my spare coins.

STOP - sending Craig your electronics, no offense Craig, until I at least get one item back. Boy, when it rains it pours. Did I count 5 amplifiers going to Craig?

NO - Craig does not solicit business on this Forum, becasue it is obvious that he does not need it.

YES - I am finished.

Eico/Marantz 8b/MX110.....mhhh, actually I should be adding the Cary/AES AE-1 to present a more comprehensive picture. But first things first: no, recently I have not used the Eico with the Khorns, so no direct comparison with the Marantz/Cary combo. Those who hope for such a shoot-out might decide not to read on.

Am I too lazy to carry the Eico to the living room? Not really. For a start I am somehow reluctant to compare the Eico to the Marantz because I would think such a comparison unfair. Do I really expect a Volkswagen to compete with a Mercedes? Do they aim at the same customer? No matter how one answers these questions, the main point is: the Eico/Heresy combo is musically so satisfying and engulfing that such a comparison is of a more academic interest. What matters to me is how recorded music is transmitted. Do I have the feeling that I get (all/most of) the information contained on a CD/LP? Am I transported to the recording venue, do I sense the earthiness of a saxophone or the various timbres of a drum set? If thats the case, I will be a happy camper indeed. Do I get this feeling with the Eico? Yes, so much so that I spend all of todays listening hours in my study. Did I feel the need to switch on the Marantz? Not at all. But had I wanted to listen to an LP that would have been necessary. So is the Eico then as good as the Marantz/Cary combo? Within the boundaries of its listening room it is very convincing, but of course the Khorns present a much bigger sound and in that room the Marantz/Cary can be breathtaking as well. Recently I obtained a new Ortofon cartridge (I mentioned it in another thread) and together with the Holfi phono stage the sound via the Marantz/Cary is superb actually the best vinyl sound Ive ever encountered. Would I like to try the Eico in such a combo? Again, if I felt something amiss, yes, why not, but as I am in the fortunate position of having space for two different systems, I simply enjoy the musicality of both. The Khorn/Marantz combo produces the bigger sound, it is certainly musically similarly satisfying, but offers somehow more of that kind. Does one need both? Obviously not can one live with the Eico? A resounding: yes in a sense more amp isnt necessary to be drawn into the music (and the magic contained therein!), but for more of the same one can choose amps like the Marantz and I havent even mentioned SETs yet (LOL). I think that from a certain level of musicality the question of more bass/highs or a larger soundstage loses some of its importance and the enjoyment of music overwhelms such issues. IMHO in these moments amps, speakers etc. are no longer technical apparatuses judged according to such parameter, but become kind of musical instruments themselves helping to convey the soul/emotion of music and where those speak, the head might bow and listen in awe. After all beauty seems to govern reason in a lot of situations (LOL).

So what about the MX110? I admit that currently I use it only as a tuner natural as the preamp section undoubtedly is, the Cary offers greater extension at both frequency ends, but thats something for a different threadtogether with more comments on the Marantz.

Wolfram

I just got around to reading this whole thread and thought I'd add my 2 cents worth regarding Scott integrateds. I've owned a Scott LK-48-B for a couple of months now. Bought it used off ebay. The seller claimed it had been gone over by a qualified tech. I can't verify this, as I don't know what parts would have been origional and which replacement, but I did notice all the internal caps are the same brand. This amp is DEAD QUIET at full volume with no signal. You need your ear about a foot or less from the speaker to tell it's even turned on. And the sound? Wonderful! I've had a lot of vintage gear, both tubes and ss, including Fisher 500C & 400, Heathkit SA-2, UA-2 and W5-M, AA-100, Bell 2025, Stromberg-Carlson, Eico HF-12, Altec integrated, Harman-Kardon A-260 "Chorale", Marantz 2275 receiver, Pioneer sx1010 receiver, GAS Grandson and more. This Scott is by far the best amp of any of them. Maybe someday I'll have it refurbished, but for now it works better then any I've ever owned. On my Heresys this amp is much better then my Fisher 500C, which I considered the best I presently own. In case you don't yet get what I'm trying to say, I LOVE MY SCOTT! I'd rather fight then switch.9.gif

Everthing stated in the review in the first post of this thread is just like what I'm hearing with the change to the Scott. Wonderful amps.

Dave1.gif

----------------

On 10/22/2003 3:40:17 PM tillmbil wrote:

Ok, I ordered the Greatfull Dead CD. I am also going tonight to get a CD of Darryl Hall "Can't Stop Dreaming." If you have not heard Cab Driver yet you are missing out. Great easy listening, I believe POP, soundtrack.

Hey Wolfram, how about the Eico/Marrantz comparison. I know the speakers are way off but maybe you have something to report. Maybe you could A/B them with the Khorns. I know Gary would be interested to hear. I would even be interested in the MX110/Eico/Marrantz opinion. It seems you have all the gear so are our best bet on a good post.

----------------

Bill,

This particular cd is not necessarily indicitive of what most GD lps are like. There are 2 or 3 real gems on this one though. The bass player, Phil Lesh, has 2 of the 3 studio songs he ever wrote for the band on this cd. They are both great. More mainstream are American Beauty and Workingman's Dead although you should really enjoy the quality of Mars Hotel, both musically and the quality of the recording. Some real interesting songs with lots going on in the background.

hurdy_gurdyman

If you have a digital camera take the bottom cover off and snap me some close ups of the parts you may never need it refurbished.

Win,

Thanks for the kind words as always !

Bill,

You can't rush a good thing !! I have a heck of a lot more than 5 here to do :) . This business is really strange one day you wonder if the work is all gone the next day your swamped . Go figure.

Wolfram,

It seems like the very same people that Love SET also get a giddy over the HF-81 ! I can't help being a smart a$$ when someone used Sublime describing audio its just sounds funny.

Craig

Damn...reading up on all the praise for Craig of NOSValves and his superb workmanship makes me wanna bid on a 299C on eBay and just send it up to Craig sight unseen (like I do when I purchase an old Philco or Zenith vacuum tube radio and have it shipped directly to my dad who restores vintage tube radios...

businesscard_01.jpg

...But I would never promote my dad's business like that...way too tacky and tasteless!

Keep up the good work, Craig!

PS - My dad's e-mail address has changed to:

gwtidwell@comcast.net

Personal Information:

Phone: 860-875-2124

Mobile: 860-202-3192

Business Information:

Phone: 800-621-2624

...in case anyone's interested!

No class!

post-11084-1381924981282_thumb.jpg

D**m I lost my post. Craig, no hurry. I just told the wife about the MMF-7 I received today. I did not feel like waiting for a good time to bring it into the den. It would not be a good idea to bring in a different amp right now.

Bigbusa - be happy with your new speaks, remember you have the Dynamic Duo to power them with in the mean time.

Craig - B-day is first of Dec. Maybe a present for me by then, hint, hint.

Gary - ordered GD today online. Can you believe they had it at Best Buy when I stopped there on the way home. I still got Darryl Hall though.

Wolfram - I guess there is no need to mess with a good thing. I will soon have some very tuff decisions to make and was looking for some advice.

MC240(nosvalves)

Scott 299 (nosvalves)

Dynaco ST-70

MX110

Pas3

Which ones go in the house for the Cornwalls? Which one runs the Hereseys in the garage?

Oh well, thats what makes this fun. Finding out for oneself.

Bill,

yes, in a sense your ears will have to decide which amp goes where - but that's the fun of it. I think your list of gear should provide you with a lot of pleasure, so enjoy.

Craig,

yes, sublime is a 'big' word, but there can be something magical about the Eico - oh, but I wouldn't want to be without the Marantz either (so there is a life beyond SETs for some of us2.gif )

Wolfram

Craig's amps.

Craig's amps.

Everybody calls them Craig's amps.

You would think he has a leasing program or something. HEHE

I am playing Simon and Garfunkel CD boxed set for my mother in law this morning on one of "Craig's amps".

She kinda likes it too.

I told her it was rebuilt by some dude who lives near M-21 in Flint. She lives off M-21 in Ionia.

It makes her feel like Craig is just a boy who lives down the street.

She is adjusting to the fact I have Internet friends in the new millenium.2.gif16.gif