United Radio has Messed up My Denon AVR-4800!

Frzninvt

I am absolutely furious right now. I sent my Denon AVR-4800 to the supposedly Denon Regional Super Service Center, United Radio in Syracuse, NY. The unit was completely operational when I sent it to them with the exception that it was generating a "pop" in the subwoofer output when switching between sources or turning the volume to "---" (off). They returned it to me the first time with that particular problem corrected but the problem then moved to the Digital domain and would "pop" when skipping chapters or repeatedly pop when fast advancing in addition the unit would not illuminate the channel indicator LED's and would not display the correct Digital function (i.e. Dobly 5.1 would display as 6.1) so I complained and sent the unit back to them again and they assured me it would be correct. They said they could not find any problems with it. Well I just got it back last night and spent 45 minutes meticulously reconnecting everything only to find out I now get no sound at all, through the internal amplifiers or the outputs to my other amps. I am absolutely furious right now at these imcompetent idiots! They have put me through undue stress and robbed me of important family time since I have to continually connect and unconnect, box and unbox, etc., etc. I have had with these people and they need to be held accountable to make it right. I sent them a fully functional unit with a minor problem and on two ocassions have received a somewhat non-working unit in return. What are my legal options against these people? I am ready to purchase a DD/DTS Pre/Processor at this point to replace the Denon and sell the Denon when and if they get it correctly repaired. I am at wits end here and really needed to vent this out. Any suggestions or comments regarding this very trying matter will be appreciated.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HK AVR 7200. Or just get some nice Outlaw separates. They have some good deals going on right now, and if you include their awesome ICBM, you have unparallelled bass management. You can get their 7.1 pre, a 100 X 7 power amp, and the ICBM for somwhere around 1900 I think. www.outlawaudio.com

I looked at the Outlaw 950, but it only has two sets of component inputs, and no phono jack. I already have all the amplification that I need. The HK gear looks plasticky and cheap. Now if the B&K Ref 30 had a phono input I would consider it. What the hell else is out there? I am still going to be sending my 4800 back to them for the 3rd time after talking with the tech manager.

----------------

On 10/22/2003 9:22:03 AM Frzninvt wrote:

The HK gear looks plasticky and cheap.

----------------

HEY! OUCH MAN! Don't bea judging a book by it's cover. I will absorb that insult due to the fact that you are about to go nukulear on someone right now. 2.gif

BTW, sorry to hear about your gear. I would be feeling the exact same way.

I wouldn't go calling Denon gear cheap looking though.11.gif2.gif

Sorry m00n, I did not say it performed poorly or sounded horrible, it just has that el cheapo look to it. You can't say the Denon stuff looks cheap, because it doesn't the heavy brushed aluminum face looks stellar now only if United Radio can make it work correctly again I would be happy! Right now I am ready to chew nails and spit bullets 7.gif

Frzninvt,

Bummer.We can all empathise with your rage.I'd pull up all my patience & try to work it out with them,if I were really happy with the unit.If I had even a thought that I wanted something else,I'd buy it,& if they wouldn't refund or replace,have them fix the bummer,& then sell it.If you're totally fed-up,call a lawyer friend & ask him what he'd charge to write a letter for you.

If you're looking for something else,consider Marantz.If I had this happen to my SR9200,I'd miss it as long as it took to get it back, or another one (a 9300 would do fine).I'm soon to send it in for an upgrade to include THX 2 & other 9300 specs for $250.I've already cleaned the old Pioneer VSX-D1S to use while I miss the Marantz.

I hope you get satisfaction.

SSH

==================================================

Right now I am ready to chew nails and spit bullets

===================================================

Wow, that's even more pissed that chewing a 2x4 and shatting sawdust.9.gif

Dumb question but have you contacted Denon directly? Oh and no worries bout the H/K slam. I know some peeps don't think they look like high quality.

I'm sorry to hear someone else going through this too. I know what your going through. The exact same thing happened to me last week.

After being jerked around by my dealer they finally submitted to updating my avm-20. I brought in my working avm-20 v1.12 to get updated to 2.whatever, and I got back a $3,000 paper weight. No audio at all. Lots of poping, and automatic shut down. I'm afraid to even plug the thing in.

Tried the manufacturer routine also and they are little to no help either.

I've been audioless for a week now as the pre sits in the box in my living room.

Very frustrating, and I'm having a very hard time keeping my composure about this.

Sorry to hear that, some authorized service center that is, atleast send Denon a letter or something to let them know that their "authorized center" sucks and they should look into them. As for a new receiver or whatnot, take a look at the Pioneer Elite's man, I had the HK AVR520 and went to the Elite 53TX, man what a difference, they make some monster receivers! Just another option for you to ponder, like you need anymore of that I am sure 9.gif

your right, the hk stuff kinda looks funny, but dont sell the b&k stuff short, phono or no phono, do what i am doing and get a preamp, the b&k stuff is so much more than the denon gear, it costs more, but the results are definatly there, and i have had zero problems, zero! the dynamics coming from the b&k gear have surpassed everything i have experienced in home, and that includes denon, rotel, yamaha, sony, onkyo, hk,all were a good starting place, but were just that, the rotel was a step above, but the b&k IS better, try it you'll like it12.gif

Thanks Marksdad, actually I had not any trouble with it up until recently. The problem I initially had was livable but I wanted the unit to be 100% but after a couple of trips to United Radio it is worse off than when I initially sent it to them. I am strongly considering a B&K Ref 30, I don't need the balanced ins/outs of the Ref 50. I should have bought arthurs Ref 30 when he offered it, however at the time I did not need it since the Denon was doing a good job. I do agree the B&K stuff is at the top of the heap though. I don't use my TT all that often but I find it strange that the B&K offers no phono input. I could however live without it if I had to and move the TT to the HT system in the bedroom instead. I am going to give UR one more chance to make it right or replace my receiver since they messed it up. I will settle for nothing less.

• 2 weeks later...

Get the Ref30. They are pretty resonably priced on e-bay, and you would be hard pressed to find that much quality at such an affordable price. You could even use the amp in you 4800 if needed. Of course, I would send the 4800 back to have them make it perfect. That IS, afterall, what they get paid to do.