excellent DVD RUSH

v3spitfire

I start very few threads, usually when I need help. But... GET this DVD. Not only is the conert almost 3 hours long, but the fans are incredible (40,000 brazilians). A lot of old rush classics sound very fresh. Also, the recording is excellent. Both 2 and 5 channel. They did a great job of not over emphasizing the center and surrounds, as some dvd's feel they have to stick 80% of the voice in the center, this is done right (maybe because geddy is stage left?). ANyway, if you like rush, or just want an excellent recording.. You've got to get this. Any other thoughts. To put this in perspective, I was a big rush fand through mid 90's and then kind of tapered off. I got this more out of curiosity, major surpise.

Thanks...There is a CD audio only version, too. I think I'll get the video. I was a big RUSH fan in the 70's and there seems to be many of the classic 70's tunes on this video. I saw them in the early 80's a few times but not since.

I also want to get the COMPLETE JAM DVD but I don't know what it is like. I liked the ROGER WATERS - THE WALL LIVE IN BERLIN.

Do you mean to much crowd noise in the surrounds or did you find to much music/mic material back there. I found mostly crowd noise, which I don't mind, but I keep my surrounds slightly under norm for all music anyway. Just curious if you found too much soundboard material back there, as I did not find it bothersom.

Just a note...A few reviews I read pointed out that the anamorphic encoding was all f'd up. It seems that when you play it on a widescreen TV (or one that adjusts aspect ratios) it plays like widescreen in a box. They are supposed to correct this in future releases. Hopefully they do. Just wanted to let you guys know before you bought it.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/456/456038p1.html

Scroll down to the video section.

do you realize how much money rush made simply because of this thread??? it seems this forum may be the best way to market a dvd. i went out and bought the dvd even though my affection for rush is fairly lukewarm. i can't say as though it has lived up to the billing. don't get me wrong, it is a good dvd, but i was not blown away. i have experienced all of the above. i had rather hear geddy lee sing tom sawyer rather than hearing a million brazilians singing it, but nevertheless the music is quite good and neal peart is a drumming god as usual. it does amaze me, however, the strength of a recommendation on this forum.

Yep,I'm a BIG Rush fan,the recording is average and the mix is almost unlistenable.I actually turned it off and just put on 2112 cd.They do play a good set(not best by far imo),but the crowd is not what I wanted to hear ALL the time.I rate it 7 on 1-10,9 for talent 5 for mix..The old All the Worlds a Stage lp or cd sounds soooo much better,you would think 30 years would bring some improvement in sound,nope.

Obviously you don't have much of an an audio system or you don't have much of an ear for sound. I have been a Rush fan since the beginning, dating back to the mid seventies & this Concert DVD is one of the worst I have ever heard. I don't want to hear crowd noise out of all channels, nor do I care to see a bunch of crazed South Americans jumping up & down. Where is Geddy lee's voice, futhermore where is the mike on Neil Peart's drums. I have a very expensive audio/video system, which reveils every flaw. Bottom line this is garbage, I am on a crusuade to go after the sound engineer on this POS!

Vader,

My audio system is just fine, not 20 grand, but does very well, and I think my processor does an excellent job of sending things where there supposed to go. I've seen rush 5 times. If you go to a concert where the crowd is singing loudly, its goint to show up. This is part of the experience of going to a live show. Sure, if you don't like crowd noise or live, enthusiastic shows, probably not for you. I thought I mentioned the 40,000 brazilians. If you were at this show, don't you think you would here the crowd? THey've never played before this many people before now. I didn't like exit stage left for this very reason...they are actually turning down the crowd after every song (fade, not continuous). I don't want the company making the recording to pull out certain aspects of the show to make it sound like a studio recording, I already have those.