Sansui AU-11 II

mike stehr

This amp is pretty scary on Cornwalls, hiss, and sibilance.

The mid and tweeter horn were spittin' sand at me

But tons and tons of headroom, normal listening levels at -45.

Heidi hates this amp.

Ah, it was cheap! More suitable for some cones and domes, ebay prospect, whatever.....

I purchased a DBX 3BX, and route selector, SheltieDave nabbed them.

"If someone on this Forum were to post a proud pic of their newly aquired 70s Sansui recently picked up for a song at a fleamarket I bet few would reply and if so there would be a few wise-*** comments."

Let's see how it goes, Jeff.

post-6643-1381924993395_thumb.jpg

The old Sansui amps sure had power! One of my friends has a gigantic Sansui " pure power " receiver - silver front probably from the late 70's. The receiver weighs at least a good 40+ pounds, and has quiite a bit of power, without working too hard. It would be interesting to see how much clean (undistorted) power one of the old receivers could put out in relations to today's receivers with the same kinds of loads.

Frz,

they don't even have a scratch on them. They are in the original double shipping boxes, but they did not have the wood sides. My Amish friend owes me big time, and he has promised to build some solid walnut sides.

Mike and I had some good laughs listening to the Cornwalls on his inky dinky lil 5 watt SET monos, and I was hoping to listen to his 15 watt stereo push-pull the second time we hooked up. Unfortunately, a leaking cap made us break out the Sansui - holy jumping Jehosaphet, Batman! Hiss, hard punchy base, and Chicago's horn section sounded like a bag of cats howling in the moonlight. The beer tasted great, and I got my Klipsch fix for the month until I make it home.

Push came to shove, and Mike won...two beers and Chicago's Greatest hits on the Rhino double CD. I got the DBX stuff. I probably won't be using the A/V router, Frz, but I can't even figure out half the functions. I am hoping I can install the expander after the el cheapo CD player I have and improve the sound source before the tube pre and amp.

If you have need for the router, a few tubes would probably persuade me to send it toward Lake Bomeseen!