Best Home Theater Remote?

BMW Driver

I am considering stepping up to a touchscreen remote that I can customize, use macros and control a lighting system. I have looked at the Marantz and Phillips entry level models. I think that the Pronto Neo from Phillips seems like the best fit for my budget and likes. Are there any other choices I should consider? Does anyone have any positive or negative feedback on the ProntoNeo. It seems to me that the Marantz is just a more expensive Pronto, am I correct on this?

Thanks!

Shaun

I just purchased a Radio Shack Kameleon (sp?). This is the one with the backlit touch pad that illuminates the right set of buttons depending on the mode. I really like it. For only $59 bucks, it seems to do the job, without spending hundreds on other types. There are 4 macros on it. I use the first to power up my HT system, the second macro to boot up in Digital cable mode, the third macro to boot up in high definition cable mode, and the 4th macro to boot in DVD mode. this remote seems to be doing the job.

PS - there is a website that evaluates all univarsal remotes - www.remotecentral.com check it out

For me the best HT remote is the Gyration RF mouse and keyboard. My HT is based around my HTPC so everything is controlled with a mouse. The mouse has a gyroscopic motion sensor so you can lay back and move it in the air to control the cursor because it tracks the motion of your hand. It has a 30ft range and can function through walls and other objects. They also have some that are good for 100ft and one that is shaped more like a traditional remote that also has the ability to assign commands to in-air gestures. I know it's not really what your asking about but it's still pretty cool.

www.gyration.com

----------------

On 11/1/2003 7:08:29 PM prodj101 wrote:

many touchscreens are backlit, so you can use them easily in the dark.

----------------

Yup different stroke for different folks. Personally I don't want a big beacon of light coming on everytime I am adjusting the volume or whatever. Just my personal taste is all. Also with a more traditional remote you don't need to actually look at the remote to use it, it can be done by feel. Just my 0.02 worth.

Laters,

I have the Marantz RC3200. It uses the same software as the Pronto, with some customizations. I probably wouldn't have bought the Marantz model if I didn't have a Marantz receiver. Most likely would have gotten the pronto.

There is a online store, I haven't done business with them however, that has the Marantz RC3200 factory recertified for 139$, www.accessories4less.com.

-MKL

• Like 1

----------------

On 11/2/2003 8:31:58 PM m00n wrote:

So can these remotes control all your equipment, like DVD, Receiver? WHat about a projector?

----------------

Yes. Even a cheap Radio Shack universal remote with a learning function can operate all of your devices.

----------------

On 11/2/2003 8:31:58 PM m00n wrote:

Doug, you said that you have it controlling your lights? What did you get in order to get your lights to be remote controllable?

----------------

I have the MX-500 & love it. I have the macros set to start & stop the dvd player & adjust the light accordingly. It comes with X-10 commands built in. I just had to order the IR receiver for the X-10 stuff from X-10.com

m00n - As cyclone said, I use X-10 (the poor man's lighting control). I have the IR-411 (I think) that I bought from Worthington Distribution. It accepts the IR signals from my Pronto, and converts them into the X-10 format which travels over the house wiring. I bought an X-10 compatible dimmer switch made by Leviton which controls the overhead lighting -- I had to get that type because it uses a magnetic transformer (track lighting) and the standard X-10 wall switch dimmers wouldn't handle that, plus their dimming capability left a bit to be desired.

I also use standard X-10 modules to control the Dolby sign, as well as a bunch of other stuff in the house.

So, when I press PAUSE on my Pronto, the DVD player pauses and the room lights come up just a bit. When I hit play, the lights dim again and the DVD resumes.

With the rest of the house, I have lights that come on automatically at dusk, then shut off at various times. I have an ALL ON button which will light every room in the house as well as the outside floods.

Doug

I have a Pronto TSU3000. I picked it over the Marantz because it is a 16 shades of gray vs. 4 and I think it had more memory as well. I purchased it at

http://www.surfremotecontrol.com/pronto-3000.html for $244. The price was the lowest that I found and I haven't had any problems with the remote or the company.

I also bought the RF Extender and the docking station. It is a great remote and works will all the equipment that I have. I recommend spending the extra money for the RF Extender. It adds a further range to the remote and also lets you operate it without pointing it at your equipment. I've designed most of the screens myself but I did borrow a few buttons from other people. See WWW.remotecentral.com to download other peoples design. If you download the ProntoEditNg software from Phillips, you can run a simulation of the files you downloaded from remotecentral.com.

The docking station is nice conveneince as well.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. It is a great remote and you won't be disappointed. Ken.