OMG, did I really just do this?? ebay k-horns

Tom Mobley

Tom,

Great purchase!

They are pre-1962 mahogany K-horns. The mid horn is correct and the tweeter horn mounting is correct, as is the crossover. The factory will have to look up the date by the serial numbers. With those, make no changes that are not easily reversible, if you make any. How rare those must be and look at their condition!

Well, I got home from work and measured the living room. it's 13ft across the end, the corners look pretty good too. they're solid and it's 31" out from the corner to the window. There's nothing in the way, the baseboard trim is small. I think it's going to be good.

I see those tail boards that sunnysal mentioned, all notched up for sombody's wall trim. I've got a feeling the plastic carpet runner material is the way to go there.

I've exchanged a couple emails with the seller, he's cool with me picking them up. Seems pretty nice.

A buddy has a late model S-10 pickup with a 4-cylinder, just right. it's 825 miles to Colorado Springs, almost all freeway.

Thanks again for all your positive comments. Surprisingly, the wife is not freaking out over this at all. She does seem to have a inordinate interest in just how soon the LaScala's could be sold, though. :)

Tom

Tom,

U are going to love them.I have the same exact speakers in my 58 khorn.

I have never felt any update(down grade) was in order.

These look like maybe 61/62 last of the early khorns they did not make many more than 1500 from late 40 to 62. so yours muat be some of the last.

I have a 59 in the same finsh in mahogany with lacure finish.

leave the tweeter were it is the ev tweeter was designed to be mounted this way (this is sorta like the vertical cornwall ) when klipsch came out with the cast mid horn in 62 or 63 they could no longer mount the tweeter vertical with out changing the height of the speaker. I think the main resone they did away with the k5 mid horn was the cost to make was so much higher than a cast horn.Not so much for the sound.

Klipsh first patend a mid horn like this in 1945 except it was a mulicell).

Most of the 50s khorn have this same horn some of the earlier one have some extra wooden flares in the lenst otherwise the same.

Keep them stock as you could always sell and buy later for less than what these are really worth.But I think you will find the sound they make is to die for.

The old orig klipsch delear in Welleley Mass had this same set up in his home and he could have updated for free.he must have sold more khorns than any other dealer. When you bought a pair of him the added your name to the wall the showroom I always want my name on the wall.

To bad they dont have Klipsch delaers around hear like that anymore.

The Music Box in Welsley, Mass. Ahh Youth. That is the store from which I purchased my Klipschorns a quarter century ago. The listening room was about 30X40' crammed with speakers. The whole Klipsch line (All "Heritage" then) was set up ready for your audition. We must have listened to Cornwalls for an hour before I got up the nerve to ask to hear the Klipschorns. It took less than ten seconds to make up my mind but we listened to them for another hour. That was on Saturday. On the following Tuesday my brand new Klipschorns were delivered and set up in my home. Three houses later I still have the Khorns from the Music Box.

Rick

Tom,

I picked up my Khorns with the help of my 15 yr old son, a half bed 4 door Ford pickup borrowed from my neighbor, and a UHaul appliance dolly. I padded the fronts with styrofoam, strapped them face to face, covered with a blanket and a tarp, made for a very easy journey. I kind of wished it would have been a longer distance because I somehow always thought that would be the way it would happen. You know, a road trip adventure instead of a 45 mile local pickup. Considering the weather you'll have to endure, don't forget a BIG tarp. Again, congratulations on your purchase and enjoy this weekend's journey!

Klipsch out.

3dzapper,

Did the Music box add your name to the "wall". I was just a kid in the 70,s when I first head the khorns in the music Box .They closed in the late 90's it was a sad day. I went to the close out sale Some one had already scored the cut away khorn. they still had the full line set up right to the end. I never had the funds back then to buy khorns but did manged to buy a brand new threshold fet 2 pre amp off them in the 80,s.

Mr Bell the owner once took a pair of khorns to the Brussells words fair in 59 to demo stereo.

He is/was a real Khorn fan and new Paul him self. the Music Box was also said to be one of the first Hi FI stores in the Us.

yeah, the weather. I think there's at least one 6-7 thousand foot pass between me and them, snow country this time of year. I'm going to be taking a bunch of old quilts, a big roll of visqueen and roll or two of duct tape. you know, come to think of it, 52" x 32", they won't fit, both laying face down in the bed of the truck. I'd have to pull the tops off them. Edmund, that might turn out to be a great idea, strapped together face-to-face standing up with tie-downs to the corners of the bed. Sheet of styro isn't a bad idea.

Tom

I would rent a utility van. Enterprise has unlimited milage on all their rentals. You could get a full sized van for under $100 a day I bet!

I think it would be funny if you rented a van and dropped it off 24 hours later with 1700 miles on it!

That's a lotta driving for a pair of speakers but it sounds like a fun road trip. Put the miles on a rental instead of your own vehicle. 9.gif