OMG, did I really just do this?? ebay k-horns

Tom Mobley

I think I did just do this. I can't believe I just did this. My wife is also not going to believe I did this. It just looked too good to pass up. I wonder if she'll notice when I'm gone for a couple days and those things show up in the living room.... uh-oh.

ebay KHorns BIN

road trip coming up, I've got 4 days off starting Sunday. Anybody in the Phoenix metro area want to ride along?

I can't believe I actually did this.

I see fini noticed this too.

Tom

OK, who wants to be the hero and fill me in on what I just went off $1100 for? here the description: Type KB.M.7, Style B, Finish M7, One K-77 Tweeter, One K-55V Midrange Tweeter with K-5-J Horn, Jensen 220248 P15LL-C7379 Woofer, Klipschorn K-500-5000 Crossover Network. Serial numbers are 1505 & 1517.

late 50's?

mahogany?

nice Jensens?

this just looked like a really good price to me, what do you guys think?

Tom

(I'm all excited now, 1:45MST and I've got to be at work for 12 hours at 6:30. Ugh.)

Tell him Wolfram,

If I told you the prices that KHorn's go for over here you would faint!

Looks like a great buy - congrats.

Cant tell you a thing about them - sorry - not my area but no doubt someone will fill you in on the details.

BTW - the mountings on the tweeter will obviously need reparing - they have both fallen over sideways!!9.gif

my congrats tom! please let us know your thoughts once you get´em hooked up. welcome to the club...my wife just crossed her arms in front of her (wonder what that body language meant? lol) when I brought mine home and hasn´t spoken to me about it since...sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do...tony

"Interesting horn on the squawker."

I thought the same thing. With the Klipsch sticker on it it seems like it is original though. I didn't realize Klipsch ever used sectoral horns in the K-Horn. I guess I don't have to feel bad about putting sectorals in La Scalas then. :)

Shawn

Tom,

Congradulations!!!!

They are lovely early models and I'm sure you will love them. At the price you have plenty of room to play with drivers and horns to upgrade the sound to match your room and tastes. Are those the same ones that the seller listed for $12,000 the other day?

I'm still in shock. $1065! Tell your wife you just saved her $6500 by not buying a new pair, she'll undestand. Wow!

Rick

tom, I do think you will have to replace the tail board to get a decent seal against a normal wall, those were cut to fit some wall with lots of moldings and rub strips. I also think you will want to relocate the tweeter out of hte mid horn...perhaps to the side mounted to the grill frame? regards, tony

Oh my god! Look at the size of the mid-range horn and its wood also; bet it either4 sounds wonderful or horrible. Unfortunately, since our profiles since do NOT list the equipment that we have, I do NOT know if these bargains will sound wonderful or horrible with your front-end equipment. You may have to make some changes to the big ole horns or your amplification. Either way, in my opinion, ultra-sensitive big ole horns are one of the lowest cost ways to create a truly extraordinary, world-class home movie and music reproduction system. Congrats.

Tom

Adiksons cool, consider yourself lucky i didnt see them im about 3 miles from his house every tues and thurs, i would have bought them, well didnt see them LOL!

But i also know i dont need them, if you caint make it out, let me know, i can pick them up maybe and secure them!

Be carefull driving were frezzing here

Regards Jim

Regards Jim9.gif9.gif

Those are ORIGINAL keep them that way. Dont BASTARDIZE them. If your compelled to change them be sure to KEEP all original components. So that in the future you can compare ways to original sonic intent. They will be worth more that way. Enjoy but preserve.

Tom,

Congratulations! It looks like you also have a piece of history with your purchase based on the "wood" horn that is on display. I'd love to hear how that wood horn sounds. I hope you enjoy your "deal" as much as I have mine. This must be the "Year of The Horns"!

Klipsch out.

Thanks, guys for your positive comments. and you too, Maron. :) don't worry, I'm not about to butcher them up. The chainsaw is too dull....

I'm at work today 6:30Am to 6:30 PM also Th, Fr, Sat. bummer deal man

looking at getting together a road trip for Sun or Mon.

these things look good to me too. The pics aren't super detailed but what I can see looks good. I was hoping Jim would know this guy, looks like he deals a fair amount of audio stuff from his feedback.

can anybody verify the M finish is mahogany? mahogany was popular in those years around 1960. any other ideas?

Thanks again,

Tom

Tom,

Wonderful purchase. I've lived with these monsters for 32 years... first a pair of 1971 Khorns, and now a 1953/1954 "pair", and am still amazed by their dynamics and sound reproduction. My current models have a modified type A first order crossover with Stephens woofers, University SAHF squawkers, and K-77 tweeters. Your wife will love them as much as you will!

-DrDave

BTW, I paid $100 for mine!