Ditch the cd's!

gtDark

says GQ Magazine:

Time to ditch the CDs, cables and big, bulky components. The sleek, streamlined future of stereo is here...

"Lost in the debate over online music piracy is the good news about how digital music is going to change the stereo setup itself. CDs are twenty years old. They're big, they're fragile, and they've spawned some of the ugliest furniture this side of the cow-splotch futon cover. If an iPod can hold the equivalent of hundreds of CDs in the space of a deck of cards, if our computers can stream huge stashes of organized playlists throughout our house without our hiding a single wire, then the time for a radical rethink of hi-fi is now."

Heresy! Think they even know what "hi-fi" means? Happy flaming guys 11.gif

WOW! Unreal, eh? All the yuppies will have to ditch their big stereos and cd's and cables out now. It's just not like COOL to have these things any more. Out with the martin logans and the krell amps. In with the ipod and $2.00 earbuds. LOL! Anyone who is going to get rid of their components and cd's can mail them to me. And I'll even pay for the shipping!

wow, don't knock the ipod unless you've heard it. you'd be surprised how amazing it sounds...even plugged into really expensive revealing HT and 2 Channel setups.

and just wanted to add this, "if our computers can stream huge stashes of organized playlists throughout our house without our hiding a single wire, then the time for a radical rethink of hi-fi is now"

it's not saying that the ipod and pc, as it is now, is the ultimate in quality. what this article is trying to point out is that the future of audio isn't gonna be with all this big ugly clumsy annoying equipment. the technology is already there to convert big 800lb. amps down to a dual rack space weighing like 50lbs...and the smaller ones even sound better!

eventually, i think all our cellphones, telephones, computers, PDA's, portable music devices, and everything else electronic are going to start integrating with each other. we've already got laptops with wireless interent, you can use your home pc as a phone and dial numbers through the internet.

"the time for a radical rethink of hi-fi is now"

imagine the possibilities of taking ipod and pc technology into the realm of the home theatre/dedicated 2 channel listening...im totally down with getting rid of CDs, they're so fragile and bulky and annoying 7.gif

The iPod sounds great(with Grado SR60's)and even better conected to my main sound system,but it will NEVER EEEEVER overtake my Sony SCD1 and Pioneer DVAX10.

If its not COOL to have BIG gear,too damn bad.I love my BIG and BULKY gear and will not ditch any of it.1.gif

I hear what you say dr.who! I mean look at the cell phones of yesteryear- we used to have the venerable motorola brick. Looked like a small version of an army field phone. Now we have dainty little cellphones that can easily be lost and damaged. But they do have cool ringtones! The motorola brick, used to give you cancer everytime you used it. Now the cellphones have barely enough power to make it out of a city without losing service. Times have changed, but we must ask ourselves : is what we have nowdays, that much better than what we had before?

Guest Anonymous

The older I get the more vintage I feel, the more vintage I go. I started with martin logan speakers, returned them, bought heritage series klipsch ie cornwall, chorus, heresy I, herest II. Now I'm looking for a turntable!!! the last time I played a record was 1n 1986 before I split with my ex *****, who took everything I owned,"*****" she got all furniture, big deal...all clothes, big deal, but she fargin would not give or even Sell me back my stereo, (no HT in 86) 6000 collectable albums, linn sondeck TT, 2 ampzilla amplifiers, 2 pair corrnwall "72"/"75". I still loose sleep over it. I will stop *****in now, ipods are cool, pay radio sounds good, but is not cool...sometimes change just sucks and you gotta get back to basics....8.gif6.gif10.gif

The article is right in 1 respect, cds will get smaller and smaller, they will hold mor info. albums will always be albums..vinyl....yes

Heh, not a chance for me 9.gif

I don't really think that article has any basis in reality, the transition will take a long time and they offer no reasons on how it will happen. Yawn.

It's like the whole electric car debate - except there is no enviornmental, political, social, etc. forces driving it!

Several problems with this theory.

A. It's GQ.

B. Even given a modest collection of 100 CDs, it'd take quite a while to rip them all to your computer, which better have damned big harddrive. %90 of ripping software is garbage too. How long would it take someone with say, 500 cDs, 1000 records and 400 tapes?

C. Unless the laws of physics change, or someone comes up with some totally revolutionary breakthough, you're always going to have to have big speakers, or at least big, heavy subwoofres, to reproduce sound a reasonable facsimile of live sound.

D. Technological change could rapidly make the iPod compatible formats obsolete, so you probably don't want to have that be your permanent storage format. Also, I would image it's pretty easy to break an Ipod or to lose an Ipod. I have a library full of old cartographic programs that do not run anymore. Some of these things are only 5 years old.

E. Every time you replace your computer you;ll either need to back up all your music to a newtork area or put your old harddrive in a new computer. Or start you're music collection all over.

Now I think a computer can be a great part of your hi-fi, I have mine hooked up and spent a good deal of coin on a nice digital soundcard and a good CD R/W and sofware so I could record my records and tapes and clean them up. Has done a real nice job. A good mp3 doesn't sound too horrible and 96Khz wav file can sound damn good. With and Ipod or a computer you still need somthing to get the sounds to your speakers unless you're using strictly headphones or powered computer speakers (gag).

I think the Ipod type player will revolutionize car and mobile audio however. Combine an Ipod with a Sirius reciever and you can take the piece from your computer to your car to your office. No more Walkmen, no more CD collection spread over half the city. No more mysterious empty cases.

Bottom line is Home Theater is now the standard set up for audio (not for me or many on this list, but most people) and this stuff will always be big. You may have a flat TV, but it still has to be big enough to watch. Speakers take room, A/V recievers are huge, of no other reason than you have to hook a ton of stuff into them. DVDs are not going anywhere. Not to mention the download time and storage requirements of a DVD quality movie are massive. Perhaps this won't be a problem in a few years, but for now most people would rather just go to the video store. Not to mention Hollywood would have a cow about digital reproduction of movies (even bigger than they are now).

If anything, audio components have gotten even bigger lately since every home owner seems to think they need a 15 input A/V reciever for their $66 APEX DVD-player and $15 (to make) Sony 5.1 surround system, and of course you need a 101 CD changer for your 10 CD collection of Garth Brooks, the Backstreet Boys, Brittany Spears and all the Micheal Bolton CDs. (I know way too many people like this, mostly my wife's friends :) )

"If anything, audio components have gotten even bigger lately since every home owner seems to think they need a 15 input A/V reciever for their $66 APEX DVD-player and $15 (to make) Sony 5.1 surround system, and of course you need a 101 CD changer for your 10 CD collection of Garth Brooks, the Backstreet Boys, Brittany Spears and all the Micheal Bolton CDs. (I know way too many people like this, mostly my wife's friends :) )"

How true,all the bozos crying for MORE INPUTS MORE INPUTS,sure more inputs for the garbage they buy,and at most they will use 10% of these inputs.

Plus the 200,500 and 1000 cheapo POS CD changers,and many have two worthless CD's or less in them.Talk about hilarious

Michael Bolt On,Silicone Spears and Backdoore Boys please there is no god or justice,this form of torture should never be allowed to the market.Young people are depraved by garbage like this.Its not music its...noise pollution

I have single CD players and these best ANY changers made in sound quality and built quality.Plus at least I have a few CD's to listen to(1400 plus CD's).And almost no POP or other similar copycat garbage

Ipods are cool, but you still have to have some kind of back-up. But as more music can be stored in less and less physical area, it may soon get to the point where a 2000 CD collection could be stored, in say 320kbps form, on just a few blue-laser DVD's. Now that would be nice.

The problem is the compressed mp3 format. I want to go the other way with 24/192 DVD audio. "More Data, Mr. Scott!" More sampling, less smoothing, make it sound like vinyl, but with no pops and direct access to any song or any playback order.