Did CWs ever have an 18" woofer?

BigBusa

I'm talking to a guy about a pair of CWs he's selling ...he's said they have 18" woofers. Is that possible?

"if you like klipschorns I have an old pair of cornwalls, 18 inch woofers! They are on horizontal original stands with casters. I got them out of an old movie house in the hamptons. I have them hooked up to a pair of heathkit w6m's and they sound stunning."

Not that I don't trust him. He certainly sounds like he knows his vintage gear ...I just never heard of CWs having 18" woofers.

----------------

On 11/12/2003 10:03:35 PM BigBusa wrote:

I'm talking to a guy about a pair of CWs he's selling ...he's said they have 18" woofers. Is that possible?

"if you like klipschorns I have an old pair of cornwalls, 18 inch woofers! They are on horizontal original stands with casters. I got them out of an old movie house in the hamptons. I have them hooked up to a pair of heathkit w6m's and they sound stunning."

Not that I don't trust him. He certainly sounds like he knows his vintage gear ...I just never heard of CWs having 18" woofers.

----------------

Just out of curiosity, what year are they? What are the serial numners? And how much is he asking you for them?

----------------

On 11/13/2003 8:29:00 AM Mark Hardy wrote:

The grilles on my 1974 Cornwalls are not removable (well, not non-destructively removable). In fact, the edge of the grille cloth is covered with mitered molding (sort of like a picture frame).
----------------

My '73 Verts & '75 Horz both have removable grills..........

18" drivers? Must be bastards or mods.....If they are PWK's, they could be very rare....$$$$$

Years ago, I entered a bar in Little Rock AR. where eight CW's were bolted to the ceiling, (MeggaSlam) but I have never known of commercial CW's.

But the 18's make my think about........Jim C., any imput?

Terry

here's the gents latest email ...

"I'LL SEND YOU PICTURES THIS WEEK END BUT YOU CAN HAVE FIRST LOOK. I HAVE ALL THE ORIGINAL PAPER WORK, IN THE ORIGINAL FOLDERS, THE NAME TAGS HAVE NEVER BEEN NAILED ON, THEY ARE STILL IN THE PLASTIC BAG, THE 4 GOLD NAILS, THE WARRANTY CARDS, EVERYTHING!

this pair of CWs has really got me curious! They definately have 15" woofers he said ...after measuring them.

Gold nails? Nailed on name tags? Horizontal stands ...What the heck has he got here folks?

----------------

On 11/13/2003 10:09:06 PM BigBusa wrote:

"c.w.o.15 ser.no.9e19 compk33m-k55v-k77b, the other card is the same but ser.no. 9e22"

The E makes them from 1966 right? What else can we tell from the info?
----------------

That they are Walnut Oiled finish-

They sound interesting.

Keep us informed.

Jeff

----------------

On 11/13/2003 10:09:06 PM BigBusa wrote:

"c.w.o.15 ser.no.9e19 compk33m-k55v-k77b, the other card is the same but ser.no. 9e22"

The E makes them from 1966 right? What else can we tell from the info?

----------------

Very interesting. I'd like to see a pic. Being the Cornwall fanatic that I am.

I would be willing to wager that those are the Cornwalls with the vertically oriented horns as well. The logos to which he is referring are the PWK pie slice logos that were usually tacked to the front grill panel with a couple of small gold brad nails. They could be the clear ones with gold leaf, or the black ones with gold leaf. If you don't want them I am three hours away from you and I would certainly be interested in them. I would use them in place of my 1978 rear channel La Scala's. 9.gif