which sacd to buy??? denon dvd-2200 or the sony dvp-nc555es

dan2017

i dont really care about the 5 disc tray or anything....the sony's 5 year warranty is nice but which one would sound better through my hk avr125 reciever and my klipsch RB-35's

here are the links if u wanna look. i really appreciate this. i'm making a decision by tonight.

I'm afraid there's no way to answer your question without hearing them both, and even then it might be just a matter of personal taste--you know, one man's laid back is another man's boring, one man's forward is another man's aggressive.

Do you like any DVD-A titles out there? Then the Denon, being a universal machine, would be a good idea. But the Sony's 5-year warranty implies a good quality build.

Audio Filter: You can select a digital filter to reduce noise above 22.05 kHz (for sources with a sampling frequency of 44.1 kHz), 24 kHz (for sources with a sampling frequency of 48 kHz), or 48 kHz (for sources with a sampling frequency above 96 kHz). The Audio Filter can be set to Sharp or Slow. Sharp provides a wide frequency range and spatial feeling. Slow provides smooth and warm sound.

I would buy the Sony for the above feature alone. Seriously.

I have been a proponent there is better CD sound than Sony for some time.

"unnatural" is a good descriptive term. Sometimes I think "fake" or "plasticky".

My Sony DVD is a reliable low budget transport, but there are better CD sources with lower jitter and better realism of the instruments than Sony for $ 500.

Yeah, buy the Sony.

There is a substantial difference between the ES (Elevated Standard) decks and the rest of the decks they sell. The Denon and this Sony are comparable in quality, and you actually can't go much wrong with either one. However, the Sony has the adjustable filters, and you simply would not believe the flexibility this put into your system. Obnoxious CDs can be immediately smoothed out, and dull ones can have some life kicked into them.

If you listen to sacd's and enjoy high rez audio you may as well get one that plays dvd-a too.A multi player is the logical choice for the widest variety of formats.For under $200 you can have both with some modest quality,for about $500 you can have a good quality unit,for under $1k you can have a unit thats better than 99% of the players on the market.The Denon models are very good players,there are other good players in similar price.I have a Pioneer 563 in my bedrm hooked to a HK 125 and it sounds pretty good,I got it fot $170 on sale.

marksdad-

Were you able to compare any of the other Sony SACDs players? I'm really intrested in getting the Sony XA777ES or the new XA9000ES SACD players, and it really bothers me that you call some of the ES line "unnatural sounding". I have heard the XA777ES with a pair of B&Ws and it sounded nice. I really NEED to hear them with my Klipsch, but I don't know if I can....

-Dave

"I have heard both, and the Sony does not do as well with presentation, as usual it sounded, well kinda unnatural, while the denon sounded alot more like being there."

I apologize in advance, but this kind of post is completely useless. It tells you absolutely nothing.

1) Were both decks heard on the same system, same interconnects, etc?

2) Were they both heard pretty much right after each other, or was it days, or even weeks apart?

3) Were they heard with the same material?

4) Were they heard in the same room

5) Were both decks new out of the box, or did one player have more hours on it than the other?

6) Were the levels matched?

And what the hell does "as usual" mean -- as if every Sony deck ever to grace a system all sound pretty much the same. You might want to go back and dig up my review on the 9000es, which completely trounced my almost $2000 Anthem CD-1 with tubed output.

----------------

On 11/14/2003 12:48:34 PM Kudret wrote:

Dave,

I have been interested in upgrading my SCD775 player to SCD777ES for long while.

Is the XA777ES same as SCD777ES? Last time I checked, a used SCD777ES can be

had on Audiogon for about $1500 I believe.

kudret

----------------

The XA is multi channel and a newer model. Weighs around 35 pounds and is also audio only (no DVD).

• 3 months later...