Another 48 Hours of Power Outage!!!!

garymd

Going on 48 hours with no friggin power!7.gif7.gif I'm really pissed. Seems this happens about once a month lately. I live in a 40 year old neighborhood and the power lines are between the backyards. People don't keep their trees trimmed back from the lines and the county does nothing (they used to come out once a year and cut trees away from lines). What's the point of that 10 feet of county owned property between houses if they're not going to do something with it? Budget cutbacks is my guess. The electric company wouldn't come out today due to high winds (down to about 15 mph!).

Of 2800 still out in Howard County, I'm one of the lucky ones. Last night I froze my gooders off. Tonight isn't so bad but my wife and I are sleeping in the family room by the fire.

We're really getting sick of this sh!t! Any suggestions? I'll read them in the morning. Hopefully I'll get a little more sleep tonight. Tomorrow is my daughter's 16th birthday and I'd like to be awake for it.

Goodnight all.15.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/15/2003 12:08:58 AM garymd wrote:

Going on 48 hours with no friggin power!
7.gif7.gif
I'm really pissed. Seems this happens about once a month lately. I live in a 40 year old neighborhood and the power lines are between the backyards. People don't keep their trees trimmed back from the lines and the county does nothing (they used to come out once a year and cut trees away from lines). What's the point of that 10 feet of county owned property between houses if they're not going to do something with it? Budget cutbacks is my guess. The electric company wouldn't come out today due to high winds (down to about 15 mph!).

Of 2800 still out in Howard County, I'm one of the lucky ones. Last night I froze my gooders off. Tonight isn't so bad but my wife and I are sleeping in the family room by the fire.

We're really getting sick of this sh!t! Any suggestions? I'll read them in the morning. Hopefully I'll get a little more sleep tonight. Tomorrow is my daughter's 16th birthday and I'd like to be awake for it.

Goodnight all.
15.gif
----------------

Gary,

Those of us who live in the chicago area utilize all of our home appliance resources for power outages in the cold, ie, if your stove is gas, turn it on, use a match to fet it going!!! that will definatly help keep you warm. And damnit, I hope the utility company pays for the spoilage.

Keep the chin up as it will be over soon, in the meentime try singing sons around the "campfire" while roasting marshmellow's. BTW a very Happy Birthday to your daughter!!!

2.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

7.gif7.gif
I'm really pissed. Seems this happens about once a month lately. I live in a 40 year old neighborhood and the power lines are between the backyards. People don't keep their trees trimmed back from the lines and the county does nothing (they used to come out once a year and cut trees away from lines). What's the point of that 10 feet of county owned property between houses if they're not going to do something with it? Budget cutbacks is my guess. The electric company wouldn't come out today due to high winds (down to about 15 mph!).

Goodnight all.
15.gif
----------------

Gary,

Those of us who live in the chicago area utilize all of our home appliance resources for power outages in the cold, ie, if your stove is gas, turn it on, use a match to fet it going!!! that will definatly help keep you warm. And damnit, I hope the utility company pays for the spoilage.

Keep the chin up as it will be over soon, in the meentime try singing sons around the "campfire" while roasting marshmellow's. BTW a very Happy Birthday to your daughter!!!

2.gif Smilin

Guest Anonymous

----------------

7.gif7.gif

Goodnight all.
15.gif
----------------

Gary,

2.gif Smilin

Thanks Smilin. We do have a generator but I don't have it hooked up to the furnace. I guess that's my next task. We have 2 fireplaces on the main level and we can stay in the family room, stay warm and watch tv or read.

My daughter just called while I was writing this. I'm upset that I haven't even seen her yet today on her 16th birthday but she's nice and warm at her friend's house and we'll see her tonight. She's in her school play, A Mid Summer Night's Dream, and we'll be there. We also have a sofa being delivered today. Bad timing.

No sight of the electric company yet.15.gif

Hello:

Although I have been a Summons/Subpoena/Process Server along with what I have noted elasewher, I am not one to be litigious. I state that I am not an Attorney.

At this point, I would recommend contacting your State power Regulatory Agency, Your State and Federal Representatives, Your local elected leaders, the media and an Attorney.

Copy all in on the problems, the upset to your life and routine, the upset and problems it causes your wife and your daughter's Sixteenth (16th) Birthday be disrupted.

Sleeping with the fireplace can be a problem as well as turning on your gas appliances due to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - headaches, the loss of power leads to stress, loss of sleep, spoilage, the inability to lead a normal life - noted as the loss of the right to peaceful and quiet enjoyment of your residence.

If the County had been taking care of trimming, you have precedent especially losing power so many times.

This is a good point to note that while wireless phones are nice, be sure to have a hard wired phone in your bedroom and first floor to insure service instead of relying on a battery phone needing re-charging.

Basically, if you are losing power so many times, sometimes with no good reason, you have a cause for negligence (I am nt an Attorney - this is not legal advice, it is common sense.

You should also receive a rebate on the basic charge of providing power.

Win dodger

Back on after almost 70 hours. I'm still pissed. At least I can go see my daughter's play tonight and not worry about the generator/fireplace, etc.

I'll bet they could have fixed the problem 2 days ago if they just came sooner. Probably took them 5 minutes.

I didn't take Y2K seriously. 9-11 got me thinking. Then I never did much.

Yesterday afternoon there was a watermain break in the neighboorhood and this building did not have water for 24 hours. The biggest issue is toilet flush. I should have put aside some jerry cans of water for that and a few grocery store gallons for general use.

It wouldn't hurt me to do a little bit of Y2K type planning after all.

BTW, I'd be very careful about using the gas stove for heat. Maybe there is not a CO issue, or maybe there is with long term use. Presumably we use gas appliances like this because they are safe when properly adjusted. Still please proceed with care. Certainly they eat oxygen.

Gil

There used to be a 25' easement between my back yard and the homes behind me. About 15 years ago the county deeded 12' to each side. They did this because they never took care of it. Everyone had their fences on their property lines, so this 25' stretch of land between the houses became very overgrown. About once a month everyone in the neighborhood would write the city and complain to them to clean it up. This went on for about a year before they decided to give each side 12'. We all moved our fences along the centerline and now take care of our share. It took another five years to get some new transformers put in to take care of out outages every time we had heavy winds. Try to get everyone on your street and the street behind you to let the city know your problems. There is power in numbers.

Well you could live on the Gulf Coast and go through the Hurricanes and Tropical Storms every few years. Nothing like not having power for 10 days or more. After Carla,Alecia,Allison I guess we have been lucky for a couple of years. Don't fret, they will get back your power and all will be good. There could be a hell of a lot worse than that. Besides, a good book can be most enjoyable. Cheers.

We have a community meeting set for Thursday and a BG&E (Balt. Gas & Elec) will have a rep there. Hopefully we'll get something accomplished. I was told it's a transformer problem and not trees although my guess is both are to blame at different times.

I have an electric stove & oven but I agree with you on being careful (for those in Chicago). I also use a carbon monoxide/gas alarm in the house. I bought it when I got the generator although everyone should own one. We just use the fireplace to keep warm.

I'm watching the Grateful Dead's "Closing of Winterland" DVD right now. Most excellent! My daughter's play was also great. The entire cast came on stage after the show to sing happy birthday to her. It was very touching.1.gif