LOL! Read this, from Wilson Audio's site:

kenratboy

Probably because there is a large camp of audiophiles that immediately dismisses anything "horn." These guys will typically put their hands to their mouths and mimic a megaphone, acting like that is what Klipsch sounds like and showing their utter ignorance at the same time.

----------------

On 11/15/2003 10:06:02 AM paulparrot wrote:

These guys will typically put their hands to their mouths and mimic a megaphone, acting like that is what Klipsch sounds like and showing their utter ignorance at the same time.

----------------

Funny, because I have experienced this exact thing! Are those guys taught this response in some kind of club?

fini

----------------

On 11/15/2003 11:23:08 AM bkrop wrote:

Read the first page and see how he was introduced to audio at 13!

----------------

I love it:).

David Wilson was introduced to his life's work one Christmas - at 13 - as he lay in bed, trying to sleep. Sleep would not come, however, because carolers in the neighborhood kept singing, without moving on. Frustrated, he went to his window. There were no singers; a neighbor had placed a Klipsch speaker on his front porch - pouring carols into the night.

correct me if i am wrong here, but back then it would have been a heritage line speaker...if i have done my math right, at age 13, it was probably a klipschhorn.

so their neighbor lugged that heavy beast outside AND LEFT IT THERE ALL NIGHT!!!

the article stated his father was not wealthy and was a hard working man, i can't imagine that his neighbor was filthy rich to the point it would be no harm to him to have such an expensive speaker snatched off his porch in the middle of the night.

the details of this fantastic story don't add up to me. decades ago, heavy high end audio being put outside for the night, working class neighborhood...

sorry david wilson - take your load of manure elsewhere

i like a real man's story, Paul Wilbur Klipsch, a great inventor, engineer, scientist, service veteran, pilot and legendary eccentric

no fluff about x-mas, no house full of smoke....

Tank,

You should leave a little wiggle room for artistic license. It may not have been *all night.* If the kid was trying to sleep, maybe it was 8:30 PM. Maybe the porch was enclosed. I can't imagine anyone taking a Klipschorn outside into the elements in winter.

Dave Wilson is a little older than I am. I was 13 years old in 1972. I think he's a little over 50, so let's just say he was 13 in 1965.

Just as now, some people bought nice cars, others either bought or built their Hi-Fi systems.

It didnt have to be a Klipschorn, but whatever it was -- it was on the porch, and probably not directly exposed to the elements. Besides, for all we know -- it could have been 70 degrees.

It was Christmas for God's sake, and back in that time when people routinely left their front doors unlocked, you probably weren't much worried about anyone stealing anything off of your porch.

Memory 1 - In my younger days, I used to put my Cornwalls outside at Christmastime as part of my church's carol program. We'd drag the speakers up the hill behind the church (sometimes in snow!), and play "A Festival of Carols in Brass" by the Philadelphia Brass Ensemble as people walked from church to church to village hall. It would echo around the valley and boy, it sure sounded convincing - as long as it didn't get too loud.

I must confess, just before I'd bring everything home, I'd play the immortal rendition of "Jingle Bells" by the Singing Dogs. Dogs all over the village would start to "sing" along. Cats presumably spent the rest of the evening under their respective beds.

Memory 2 - I had a friend who was projectionist at the Fox Theater. He had lashed an enormous University P. A. horn to the chimney of his house. At Christmastime he would hook it up to a Magnecord PT-6 and play tapes (again, very softly) of a carillon. The effect, especially when it was snowing or raining, was just flat out beautiful.

Memory 3 - The radio station I work at now used to do a fundraiser near Christmas for the St. Louis Symphony at a local mall, and I would use my Cornwalls for the house P. A. One year as I was finishing taping down the cables I overheard three or four kids wondering aloud how the Klipsches would sound in back of their truck. I sauntered over to them and said, "The question you should be asking yourselves is 'Can I run faster scared than the big guy can run mad? Especially if I'm carrying this hundred pound loudspeaker?'" The logic of my argument was irrefutable, and we never had any trouble.

Thanks for letting me ramble on like this - it's a cold and rainy November afternoon that lends itself to meandering through the attics of Christmas Past. 1.gif

ha, i like captbob's 3rd memory the best.

i admit i was thinking in today's thugg world terms and not back in the 50's. that changes a lot.

i still shudder to think about dragging a klipsch outside. (much less in the snow)8.gif

i am however overprotective of my speakers...probably stemming from overturning one of my father's mains when i was horseplaying in the house as a kid....6.gif oh the beating.....7.gif angry daddy.....6.gif no not the dreaded yardstick with metal tip14.gif14.gif

ahh how we are shaped by our past....

....but sleep could not come to the young boy, so he went to the window to peer into the clear winter night, and that is when he realized that there wasn't a gathering of screech owls outside, but instead his neighbor had set a small bose cube on his porch...playing carols into the night.......

good thing ear, he may had never recovered...

----------------

On 11/17/2003 11:44:30 AM tankhokie wrote:

correct me if i am wrong here, but back then it would have been a heritage line speaker...if i have done my math right, at age 13, it was probably a klipschhorn.

so their neighbor lugged that heavy beast outside AND LEFT IT THERE ALL NIGHT!!!

the article stated his father was not wealthy and was a hard working man, i can't imagine that his neighbor was filthy rich to the point it would be no harm to him to have such an expensive speaker snatched off his porch in the middle of the night.

the details of this fantastic story don't add up to me. decades ago, heavy high end audio being put outside for the night, working class neighborhood...

sorry david wilson - take your load of manure elsewhere

i like a real man's story, Paul Wilbur Klipsch, a great inventor, engineer, scientist, service veteran, pilot and legendary eccentric

no fluff about x-mas, no house full of smoke....

----------------

I live in a "working class" neighborhood, and I think I have a fairly nice stereo system....