A subwoofer decision?

GoHack

I purchased a pair of Klipsch RF-3II's, w/a Yamaha KX-V730 receiver, a year ago. Alone, they sound great.

Just finding out that the 3II series has been discontinued, I rushed out and purchased a pair of RS-3II's and a pair of RC-3II's. I'm building a 6.1 system, little by little.

Doing a search on the net, the closest Klipsch dealer was 180 miles from me. The place I purchased the fronts and the receiver from, didn't carry the Klipsch line anymore. They were a hundred miles from me. Boy was I mad about that. They assurd me at the time of my purchase, that they had no plans of dropping the line, since they were their best seller.

Anyway, it was a long trip. I got the very last RS-3II's.

I have still to mount the RS-3II's on the wall, but so far everything sounds absolutely great. I just watched the Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and boy the sound effects. I can't wait to get my subwoofer. Good thing I live in my own house and not an apartment. The house literally vibrates. 9.gif

Anyway, I held off on the subwoofers, since they aren't being discontinue, yet, and until I can afford them.

When I do buy one, which one should I buy, the RSW-10 or RSW-12, or is there a better non-Klipsch? Is the woofer size and wattage a decision relative to room size?

Thx

Althought I do own the RSW-15 which does sound pretty amazing. With music, all 3 RSW subs do well. With some movie parts, you'll wish you had something that go a little bit lower. My 15 doesn't distort or anything, it just doesn't play the very very low hz well. If your goal is for movies and you want it to go really low, I may suggest (here it comes folks) SVS. If you goto svsubwoofers.com you can see what models they sell. They only sell online but Tom V. can help you out if you e-mail him. If room is your problem, Sunfire makes good small subs. The largest being a 13 inch cube can keep up with RSW-15. And to answer you question, wattage doesn't mean much. The SVS ultra running at 500 watts can keep up with the RSW-15 if not beat it. If you want a really cheap sub, Polk's new PSW 505 with a 12 inch can keep up with the RSW in SPL for only 500. The RSW 12 does sound better and has better parts, just the Polk can keep up in SPL at least from what I read. Hope this helps.

CD

GoHack, as you can see anytime subs are mentioned you get many

responces from the SVS reps in this forum. Let me just say

at any refernce line from Klipsch will sound great with your

system. As always the more you want to spend the more you

will get. I find it amusing when people spend less then 300-500

dollars on a sub and then complain that it's not enough bass.

If you want something to shake your house then you need to spend

at least 1,000.

It's not that the SVS owners are reps, we just know that the best bang for the buck in the sub line up is the SVS line. I have heard the RSW series subs and they are amazing, great punch for music, but so many have mentioned they can't dig past 31hz very well, so they aren't the best choice for sub sonic levels in movies. If movies are a big thing for you then the SVS line is a hands down winner. You can get A LOT of their subs for under $1k, I got my 20-39 PC+ for $750 when they first came out, the RSW series runs quite a bit more than SVS. So it's just personal preference, I suggest the SVS for movies 110% of the time, you just can't beat them for the price. I love movies and watch them way more than listening to music, so that's why I own 3 SVS subs, I am a bassoholic 9.gif They do a great job on music too, don't get me wrong, they just don't pack that punch the RSW-15 has.

And with SVS you have a 45 day money back garauntee, but I don't think anyone returned one yet due to not liking it, most return to get bigger more powerful ones 9.gif So it's a win win situation with them, they have the best customer service known to man and that means a lot now adays.

----------------

On 11/18/2003 1:32:13 PM gcoker wrote:

GoHack, as you can see anytime subs are mentioned you get many

responces from the SVS reps in this forum. Let me just say

at any refernce line from Klipsch will sound great with your

system. As always the more you want to spend the more you

will get. I find it amusing when people spend less then 300-500

dollars on a sub and then complain that it's not enough bass.

If you want something to shake your house then you need to spend

at least 1,000.
----------------

An entry level Hsu or SVS is more than enough for most people and can embarass some subs over $1k so statements like don't really hold true.

Come on guys, we're all Klipsch fans but no one's calling us Sales Reps.

There's a reason why SVS has a huge following: they're VERY good subs.

Just looking at the raw numbers, even the entry level 25-31PCi can give the RSW-15 a run for it's money. Lets just look at two performance charts.

First, we'll look at this one from HomeTheater Magazine. The RSW-15 is the blue trace (staggered obviously)

http://www.hometheatermag.com/images/archivesart/1103klipsch.5.jpg

Now lets look below at the "modest" 25-31PCi:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_4/images/svs-25-31-pci-subwoofer-fr.gif

Notice the RSW-15 has severe roll off at 30hz. The little 25-31, on the otherhand, never experiences a strong roll off, instead cruzuing down into the 20hz region. Yeah the 15 punches harder until that point, but with a larger driver and more watts you'd hope so. Not to mention this part:

RSW-15: $1800

25-31Pci: $550

We're talking one third the cost! Again, the big Klipsch does punch more, but numbers don't lie. The SVS can beat tht sub in some performance areas and do it for alot less.

This isn't sales-rep marketing ... it's common sense.

Amen Grand11, I don't know why we are called reps, we are loyal customers, a rare thing with the way companies run their business now adays, I bet if half of the companies out there would have HALF the customer service SVS has there would be a lot more loyals too. I have my sig covered with SVS stuff because that just happens to be my favorite peice of gear in my HT setup, if that's why I am being called a rep then so be it, anyone that has their gear listed in their sig is a "rep" for them then, guess I am a Klipsch Rep, Mits Rep, Monster Rep, etc. Hell, if I could be a rep I would, I would love to sell these subs for them, I would have one of the easiest jobs around, not one customer complaint and people praising the product I sell all the time, can't beat that 9.gif I think the people that say such things like "reps" just haven't heard one or experienced just how awesome these subs are, if they owned one they would tell everyone they know about it too! And the BIG factor is price, look at the price difference, if you are on a budget, you just can't go wrong with SVS, HUGE bass for a VERY VERY reasonable price. Different strokes for different folks. 3.gif

----------------

On 11/18/2003 7:32:19 PM Orange Peel wrote:

anyone that has their gear listed in their sig is a "rep" for them then, guess I am a Klipsch Rep, Mits Rep, Monster Rep, etc.

----------------

I agree, so I must now be a Denon rep, a B&K rep, a REL rep, etc. I'll continue to tought what I think are excellent gear. I find the Denon to be an excellent reciever, the B&K an excellent amp (and fairly inexpensive as far as high-end amps go - and that thing can perform!), and so forth.

I have plans to aquire an SVS PB2-Ultra to go along with my REL.

To answer the original poster's question, what I have seen and read, I honostly think an SVS would be a very good option for a sub under $600, and I don't even own one yet myself. For that $600, there are alot of decent options out there. (I am guessing $600 because it seems to be the price range of the models the original poster is interested in).

A nice, unsubstantiated knock on SVS subs and their owners. Most of the SVS owners in this forum have extensively listened to a variety of Klipsch subs, and therefore, we have some basis for providing opinions on Klipsch subwoofers versus other subwoofers.

gcoker, exactly which models of SV Subwoofers have you listened to?

My advice for the original poster is that if you are considering purchasing a RSW-12 from an authorized dealer, you may want to consider a SVS PB2-ISD or a SVS PB2+, for that amount of money. Either unit, with dual 12 inch drivers, will surpass a RSW-12 in terms of both music and HT.

Just some thoughts.

-------------------------------------------

Downstairs

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

Mains: Klipsch RF3II

Center: Klipsch RC35

Surrounds: Klipsch RS35

Rear: Klipsch KLF-C7

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD (incredible!)

Upstairs

Yamaha RX-V1300