New Vac Marantz 8B

khorn58

True comments on the measurement aspect, Al. Yet I was mainly talking about the GROSS misuse of distortion measurements throughout the 70s at the height of the distortion wars. Amps were coming out with lower and lower THD measurements, yet the sound was more and more horrid. I think measurements are important in development and troubleshooting as well, but they have been so abused in fortelling the actual sound of the gear or its value.

Still, on the whole, I agree that they ARE important. It's just that most users end up buying by the figures and heading down the wrong path. Whether it's distortion, power ratings, or frequency respoonse, all have been abused to no end by manufacturers.

kh

ps - Guy, that is a great quote...

NO kidding--I really DON'T give a crap about THD measurements! If something sounds good to me I like it--if it doesn't I don't like it. End of story.

If presented with a bunch of various and conflicting THD measurements would I change my mind? Nope.

Therefore they do not matter to me.

Guy,

" If it measures good and sounds bad, - it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, - you've measured the wrong thing." Daniel R. von Recklinghausen

There's another possibility too. If it measures bad and sounds good, maybe you like this particular type of distortion! Two examples I have give before:

1-A musicians "fuzz box".

2-a "reverb".

You just have to realize that, form a "hi fi" point of view, it's distortion! The fact that you like it doesn't alter that fact. It also don't have to interfere with your enjoyment of it if you DO like it. Just recognize it for what it is.

Al K.

----------------

On 11/19/2003 5:54:54 PM mobile homeless wrote:

True comments on the measurement aspect, Al. Yet I was mainly talking about the GROSS misuse of distortion measurements throughout the 70s at the height of the distortion wars. Amps were coming out with lower and lower THD measurements, yet the sound was more and more horrid. I think measurements are important in development and troubleshooting as well, but they have been so abused in fortelling the actual sound of the gear or its value.

Still, on the whole, I agree that they ARE important. It's just that most users end up buying by the figures and heading down the wrong path. Whether it's distortion, power ratings, or frequency respoonse, all have been abused to no end by manufacturers.

kh

ps - Guy, that is a great quote...

----------------

When I was infatuated with all the latest SS mongo recievers in the mid-70s I found that the THD specs were very relevent within a certain group. Between tubes and SS, you can't compare. Apples to oranges. Between all the mid-fi SS gear, Pioneer, Sansui, Kenwood, Technics, etc., there seemed to be a fairly significant corelation between specs and performance. Those were my observations 25+ years ago as well I can remember.

I was lucky to live mighty close to two tube amp manufacturers in VAC and Cary Audio. While I was around the Cary Audio home base all too often in the late 80s early 90s, I didnt get to visit Durham's VAC home, even though it was down the road. But I did get to meet Kevin Hayes, the man behind VAC and I would say he was pretty sharp and one of the more approachable; he's no slouch. I heard the big PA-90 of theirs years ago and it sounded quite nice (it was in a setup powering a pair of Martin-Logan Sequel II speakers run by Meitner digital). Some of their gear ie "Renaissance" have gotten very good comments but I know nothing of their 8B version. I wish they had a shot of the interior. Tony's comments seem plausible.

auricle_power.jpg

I would go for a listen if possible. VAC is represented many places. I think they moved to Florida several years back. At $2000, that is a good price, although a REAL version might be feasible at this point and perhaps even more advisable depending on the condition.

Also, try doing some searching in Tube Asylum. VAC seems to say the "Avatar" is the parent and there are PLENTY of comments on this amp in print and online.

kh

• 8 years later...

The Marnatz model 8B reissue is the same as the 8B I
had in my first system as a 15 year old in 1960's. At that time I used a
Dyna PAS 3X for the preamp and a pair of JBL speakers and a Rek-o-Kut
turntable. I in error sold the system in 1972, while in the Air Force.
After my haiatus from audio and the return to it and to tubes in 1998, I
longed for an 8B. I bought the 8B reissue commissioned by Marantz and
made by Valve Amplification Company. I hooked it up, as it was in
pentode mode and listened. Not bad, but then I hooked in in triode and
it really started to sing.

I used the 8B (triode mode)with a pair of LaScalla's (modified with ALK xover, JBL sqawker driver and EV T-350 tweeters), pasive preamp, AH Tjoeb tube CD player, LogicTech Squeeze Box Touch coupled to a Grant tube DAC. With this combination it sounds very smooth with enough power in reserve. The VAC 8B amp is really a nice amp.

I agree the reissue was very nicely built. However, I recently noticed the VAC units transformers were not potted. This is hard to detect since the two outputs and power trannies are inside a metal cover.

Here's a picture of the 8B replica clearing showing the transformer end bells and they are definitely not potted. Why did VAC decided not to pot them? I have no clue. Cost?

vac 8B showing transformers

as I mentioned a few years ago. the Marantz labled, VAC reproduced 8Bs had pretty much all the same contruction techniques and componentry as the original. while the VAC labeled 8Bs used newer and somewhat cheaper parts in some areas. is the photo above of the VAC labeled version? if so, the non-potted trannies would seem one way they deviated (and saved money) from the original Marantz units. regards, tony