New Vac Marantz 8B

khorn58

Khorn58,

I had a Marantz 8B about 25 years ago. It's a fine amp and one of the few of that era that actualy did what its spesifications said it should do. But.. being vacuum tube, it generated so much heat it was cooking itself in the amplifier compartment of my fathers cabinet (see "my stereo stuff" below) even though the cabinet was designed for it and had big vent holes. I wound up trading it in (for $180 credit 8.gif) on a McIntosh 250 SS amp. I never looked back!

Al K.

This is another amp I would love to get on my Bench some day ! I love to check out something new even if I don't touch it. Very collectable amps from a monitary stand point not a good one to modify that is for sure !

Craig

PS,

Just read the title again is this something they are producing again ?

A friend of mine who also owns an original 8B (driving a pair of LaScalas) compared it to the reissue (using the same tubes) and found the sound extremely close to the original. In other words if the price is right, go for it! Personally I think the 8B is one of the finest amps available. It's definitely one amp I shall NOT pass on.

Wolfram

I had a couple of 8-Bs years ago and found them to be excellent performers and a good match for Klipsch speakers. Not quite as "sweet" or with as much punch as the Marantz 2s, but certainly many steps up from a Dyna 70 or (dare I say it) the contemporary Scotts and Fishers.

Marantz reissued the 8-B, the 9-A and the 7 a few years ago, with parts from the original suppliers wherever possible assembled by VAC, manufacturers of their own line of high quality tube electronics. Unlike McIntosh, who modernized the designs of their Mc-275 and C-22 when they reissued them, the only changes made to the Marantzs were to bring them up to current electrical code in Europe - most noticeably with new fuse holders and detachable power cords.

The reviews have been mixed. The general feeling is that the power amps are quite nice, but overpriced by current standards. (Of course, you don't have to worry about them generating high rise flames like a lot of "modern" designs seem prone to) The preamp didn't fare as well, being called "dark" and "noisy."

Back to the 8-b. It has two sets of inputs - one filtered and one flat down to about 8 hz or so. It can be changed to 20 wpc triode operation if you so desire - it's an internal wiring change but not a big production. It makes them a little softer and more "tubey" sounding. Each output tube can be individually biased.

I've got a pair of the reissued 9s. (Actually they're not a pair - the guys at Audio Classics were quick to tell me - because one is held together with nickle plated rivets and the other has gold plated rivets. Even the shipping boxes made note of that. I personally can't tell the difference unless I crawl behind the stereo cabinet with a flashlight, but it does give you an idea of the manic nature of some of the collectors of these things. But I digress...) They sound great, look new and I don't have to wonder if some forty year old capacitor is about to let loose or not. And of course, they cost a fraction of what a pair of the originals run.

So to sum up my ramblings - heck yes, I'd buy one if I needed an amp, didn't have power-thirsty speakers, and could find one for under 2 kilobucks or so.1.gif (Original retail for the reissue 8-b was $3800, I think.)

I have a nice collection of Marantz tube gear.... I did MANY restorations to Marantz 8b's in the 1970's to 1990's in my other life. They can be made to sound wonderful, and are a good match for Klipsch speakers. I agree that the model 2's are very special.

I own (2) model 1's, (2) model 2's, (2) model 5's, (2) model 7c's, (1) model 7r, (3) model 8b's (one new in box), (2) model 9's, (2) model 9r's, (2) model 10b's, and (2) model 12's (turntables)... all vintage. This collection pales to my McIntosh tube collection.

I understand that many employees of Klipsch and Associates (the REAL Klipsch) preferred 8b's on their Heresy's.

-Dave

a guy down here has the reissue 8B and it sounds great! you have to be careful though, VAC produced reissue 8Bs for Marantz using, as stated earlier, as many original suppliers as possible in order to keep the sound as close as they could to the original 8B, I think they succeeeded quite well, if it is one of these I think it is a no brainer if the price is right.

I do believe however that VAC continued to produce 8B-like amps after that I think but used more modern components, same cricuit but newer caps, trannies, etc. these I cannot be sure are as great sounding, if the amp has a marantz label it is the VAC/marantz reissue, if it has a VAC label it is one of the others and I am not sure how they sound, though I would suspect they sound fine. tony

----------------

On 11/18/2003 2:32:23 PM audio_kid wrote:

I own (2) model 1's, (2) model 2's, (2) model 5's, (2) model 7c's, (1) model 7r, (3) model 8b's (one new in box), (2) model 9's, (2) model 9r's, (2) model 10b's, and (2) model 12's (turntables)... all vintage. This collection pales to my McIntosh tube collection.

----------------

WHOW - envy really causes a green complexion. How do you manage to listen to all this wonderful gear?

Wolfram

Guys,

If any of you will remember back a few years, around 1970 to be specific.

McIntosh used to run what they called "Amplifier clinics". The would set up a

distortion analyzer at their local dealers and invite their customer to bring

their amps and preamps to be tested. This was in their interest since almost

all amps of the time did not come anywhere close to doing what they were

advertised to do. They would run a distortion curve of every amp that cam in

a paste it on the wall for everybody to see. It was enough to make you sick

after reading and believing all the lies that came out of magazine reviews

like "Stereo review" and such. Anyhow, One of the amps tested was a Marantz

8B. That amp is rated 35W / channel. In order to make it look bad, they ran

it up to 40W / channel for the test! The distortion tests came out like this

(I wrote it down to show to my father who had one at the time and still have

it - the test results, NOT the amp!):

Less than 0.5% from 50Hz - 5KHz

Less than 1% 35 Hz- 10 Khz

One channel was 4.5% at 20Hz, the other was 3%

both channels 1.5% ar 20 KHz.

All this did was to confirm how good an amp it is to clip so gradually when

overdrive so far beyond its ratings!

BTW: A model 7C preamp tested less than .1% from 20 - 20KHz!

I personally brought in my Scott LK60 SS integrated amp. It was rated 40W /

channel but had to be tested at 20. It would not put out 40W! It's distortion

ranged from 3.5% at 20 Hz to a low of .2% at 60 Hz - 2 Khz, then back up to

1% at 20 KHz. This was typical of all other amps test except two others,

McIntosh and a little known brand called "Standard" that I never heard about

again since!

Al K.

Now now Kelley! It doesn't matter what the nubmers are--McIntosh amps can sound FABULOUS--just ask the man (ME)who loves his MC-30s. I could give a CRAP about how they measure--they just sound RIGHT. And remember, I have owned both the 8B and the rare-as-hen's-teeth NINES!

You'd like the MC-30s--I just KNOW it!

You know, I was half thinking I would work out a trade for a few months with the Moonmutts and the MC-30 just like you suggested until MatrixMan came a calling (or should I say breaking the door down?). Before ole Dodger sent out a warrant for my arrest, he was even considering letting my audition his pair. The chap is nice that way.

Of ALL the McIntosh, the MC-30 is the model I would now like to sample. Next time I'm in CA, we'll catch some good sax, listen to some MC-30 PP, and take a ride in your wife's truck... not necessarily in that order.

kh

Regarding my tube gear collection, I rarely use it... it's pristine, and I keep it in my radio and audio 'museum'. Having been involved in the home audio industry in the late 60's until the 90's, I was able to obtain high quality tube equipment when people traded or sold it to buy the "much higher quality" solid state stuff. Being a Klipschorn owner at the time, I'd try solid state gear, but found most tube gear to be orders of magnitude better sounding. The early Japanese stuff was the worst.... I measured very high distortion at levels below a watt (crossover distortion) where the Klipsch "lived". We sold Klipschorns with Dyna Mk III's, Marantz 250/33 combos, or Marantz 1200's.

I worked for a McIntosh dealer several years later, and never saw them do such a practice as running an amp beyond it's rating during a clinic, they didn't have to (although, I did see some equipment that beat McIntosh for distortion). They did measure one of my 275's, and pushed it to it's rated distortion, and then measured its power... 90 watts per channel! BTW, they would also measure the 60 Hz power line distortion, which was usually quite high!

Standard Radio made their own audio gear, and later on made the off-shore Marantz gear... very nice quality. They now make ham radio equipment.

-Dave

----------------

On 11/19/2003 5:20:20 PM audio_kid wrote:

Regarding my tube gear collection, I rarely use it... it's pristine, and I keep it in my radio and audio 'museum'. Having been involved in the home audio industry in the late 60's until the 90's, I was able to obtain high quality tube equipment when people traded or sold it to buy the "much higher quality" solid state stuff. -Dave

----------------

Ohhhh, I wish had been wise (and affluent) enough to start getting into tube gear when people moved into ss - but it just wasn't like this and now one has to spend quite a lot to enjoy beauties like the 8b 8.gif . I am only glad that such amps are still available, though at least in Germany (Europe?) they are getting really scarce.

Wolfram

Dave,

Thanks for the head's up on "Standard". Being a "ham", I had heard of Standard in that area but had no idea it was the same outfit! As to running the 8B at 40W, I can't be absolutely certian since I was not there when the test was done It was simply one of the cruves on the wall when I came in and was marked as having been done at 40W / channel. Maybe it was a mistake! If it was done at 35W / Channel, I would lump the 8B along with all the rest of the also-rans!

BTW, I say anybody that "doesn't give c___ about measurements" is kidding himself. Measurements do not lie, they just don't tell the whole story. You MUST consider them somewhere long the way. If you do not, you can not educate yourself what is good and what is not. Some distortion DOES sound good to the ear. Other types the ear can not hear at all. You need to take these factors into consideration.

Al K.