Michael Jackson's Neverland raided

Parrot

----------------

On 11/19/2003 2:52:27 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Talk about USED to be funny... Leno ONCE WAS funny but that time is such a distant memory, I can barely recall the days. Poor Carson must be the depressed one as his once GREAT show completely dissolved into a mediocre, sappy, elbow in ribs, guffaw. No one tries as hard as Leno and no one fails as miserably.

kh

----------------

WOw... I think Leno is great. Carson is drab and boring to me.

As far as jackson goes... It really is a very sad story if you think about it. Something strange inside of me hopes that this really are false allogations and that he really never touched the kids. Don't get me wrong, I don't care for the guy or his music (except for Thriller), I just think it's sad is all.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 11/20/2003 11:54:49 AM paulparrot wrote:

.............................................................................................................

You have been duped from TV shows mantra'ing about "*only* circumstantial evidence."

Circumstantial evidence is anything that is not eyewitness evidence.

Try to answer this: How many husbands kill their wives in front of witnesses? That leaves it to circumstantial evidence to convict a wife-killing husband, because no one saw him do it and because rarely does a killer confess, although you probably think that happens all the time too, just like on TV.......................................................................

----------------

Law Enforcement, the Prosecution and the Courts rely heavly on
Forensic Science

In the absence of eye witnesses, The application of scientific Forensic's evidence and testimony is an acceptable method to help clarify criminal and other legal involvement.
I too will withhold judgement until all the evidence is presented.

Absolutely, ShapeShifter. Forensic Science falls under circumstantial evidence. Fingerprints, for an obvious one. Fingerprints on a murder weapon don't mean that the person who owns the fingerprints is necessarily the murderer. But it's one of a series of cirumstances that when added together with other circumstances, that can and does convict guilty people every day.

"WOw... I think Leno is great. Carson is drab and boring to me."

As I said, the American public eats this stuff up. If you find Carson drab and boring, while Leno stimulating and engaging as a comic, either you were too young to see Carson, didnt appreciate Carson's amazing timing and subtle style, or some mixture of both. Obviously, opinion is the rule in here but I find there is almost NO comparison between the two, talent-wise. I once liked Jay Leno when he did some standup. After he entered the Tonight Show, all edge disappeared with the ratings rise. He was lucky that Hugh Grant had needs, needs that saved Leno's hide at the time.

His show is so far below Carson's Tonight Show, I dont think it should share the same name. From all reports, Carson was mortified after a few months. Carson's timing was genius and his writers on a different plane. The character sketches that Carson came up with make Leno's pieces look lke cardboard cutouts with overblown gags. Leno could no more pull off someone like a Carnac the Magnificent if his life depended on it.

Letterman's NBC show was a perfect spot for him; still, I would take Letterman over Leno any day. I once watched Carson nightly (which wasnt hard considering the vacation time) where I can barely watch Leno.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Parrot, you have an interesting take on circumstantial evidence. By mere definition, it drops notches below PROOF with REAL DIRECT evidence and is generally seen as a fact that might be used to infer another fact, yet with no direct connection. How you can then imply that circumstantial evidence is THE BEST evidence is beyond me. While it is true that is is used all the time, it is neither the best nor most foolproof type of evidence. On the other hand, your examples are very POOR examples of "circumstantial evidence" as usually relied upon in a case. The snow comparison is a real beauty. IF you think this is an apt comparison to the type circumstantial evidence used in a case, then you belong on LENO. Of course, it would be hard to prove...

kh

The great thing about the band was not only the players, and there were many greats revolving in, but the amazing sense of comic timing THEY had! There has been no television band since that even came close musically or as a comic aid to the show. While Doc Severinsen was surely not my favorite by any means, he was perfect for that position and there is almost no better butt of a joke than ole Tommy Newsom. Those guys were ALL GREAT in the "STUMP THE BAND" bit. That was a classic bit that could not be repeated with the same style, timing, and wit.

kh

Carson, Leno, and Letterman are all lousy interviewers. From David Frost and Dick Cavett and Tom Snyder even you could actually learn something about the guests. For Carson, Leno, and Letterman guests are just props. Depends what you're looking for.

Carson was at his best when his guests were the lamest. But if you cared about the guest, you had to be disappointed because you got almost no content. Cavett, it's true, always wanted to try to impress everyone, and Snyder was most interested in his own opinion, but Frost was good.

Joey Bishop was pretty good. Steve Allen was a lot funnier than any of the above.

Check out They Might Be Giants' brand new DVD, Gigantic: A Tale Of Two Johns (a documentary on their 20-year career) for their performance of Birdhouse In Your Soul on the Tonight Show, backed by the full Band! It is surrealistic, to be sure.

fini

"His show is so far below Carson's Tonight Show"

The different between Carson and Leno is night and day. And if you think Leno is bad, Conan O'Brien is worse. O'Brien is getting lamer by the day!

We've been way off-topic haven't we. Though, I have no comment against that "white" boy.

In retrospect, Steve Allen ran a good show, discovering and featuring some really funny comedians. His own humor tended to be a bit silly, imo. He was a multi-talent. Wrote a million songs, a million books, played mediocre jazz piano, and knew a million people.

You all remember those books, and you can all sing some of those songs, right? He was tall.

c7s

Too weird, that mug shot looks like an alien. On TV a white Ford Expedition was constantly being shown, was just waiting for a white Ford Bronco. I think this is the ultimate setup of all time staged by Sony. MJ hasn't got this much press in like 10-15 years, not good granted, but he'll walk and his new album will sell like white on rice.

At least Mike Tyson hasn't commented on this like he did for Kobe Bryant, or whatever the hell is name is. Can you imagine MJ and MT in the same cell? No, I can't either...

----------------

On 11/20/2003 11:02:11 AM fini wrote:

Kelly,

May Max join us? I can bring a fruity Beaujolais...

fini

----------------

Goodness, can I join you as well? I enjoy hanging out with folks who've shed their religious craziness. I'll bring the ghost of E.M.Forster and we'll all have a good ole time.

Woo