Most impressive deput LP ever?

Allan Songer

I'm with Audio Flynn. But Loggins and Messina comes first.

CS&N in our day, at our time, was magnificent. Nothing before it has the impact, except for the complex history of St Pepper, which stands alone.

I take it that Suite, Judy Blue Eyes, was a grudge match on who was going to be more nobel in the break up. And who could express the intricacies of love lost. Stills did well. He still loved her.

The harmonies of the rest of crew were not too different than some other groups like the Beach Boys, the Association, etc. There is something to be said that the "barber shop quartet" had been reinvented in all of these. And well so. It gave voice to better feelings.

The other album of the time was Loggens and Messina. A good one which broke the morose of zeitgeist.

In those days, there was a lot of cynical thoughts. Bob Dylan, Carly Simon, just about every pop singer was there to explain in equisite detail how everything is hopeless. And there was "The

War."

Not so with L and M. Kenny did well to weave a thoughtful appreciation of love, loss, new love, and the real world. On top of all that, there was real joy and reconciliton.

At least that is the way I see it.

Best,

Gil

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps we are just showing our age....errr, great memory, but I agree the 70s was the absolute peak of rock music (or pop music in general). I think of all the great songs and groups from that era (Kansas, Foreigner, Genesis, Journey, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, etc, etc...) and realize that not only have there been very few comparable bands (if any) since, but that all you hear (today) are remakes of the great hits from that era and very little if anything that anyone will remember 20 years from now from 'this' era. Just my (highly biased) two cents...

----------------

On 11/25/2003 1:22:11 AM Piranha wrote:

Speaking of Physical Graffiti. Led Zeps album of the same name is awesome on Heritage Klipsch. Especially "Ten Years Gone, The Rover, Custard Pie, Kashmir" etc.. Ahh the memories of the 70's

----------------

On 11/24/2003 10:00:05 AM dgb wrote:

Amazingly enough, I was coerced by my wife to see Alanis Morisette after her second CD, and she was really, really good. Some excellent heavy jams, and even her Jagged Little Pill stuff was played with more intensity and much heavier than the radio versions. I think between her first and second CDs she discovered mushrooms and Physical Grafitti. Best example is "Uninvited" off of the City of Angles soundtrack (in HDCD!), Zep couldn't have done it better. And that's saying a lot.

----------------

----------------

Since we're reminiscing of '70s rockn' roll the originality and uniqueness of the eraI thought I'd mention an album from a bit further back that is not only the artist's debut, but a fine example of a genre that most will agree was rockn' roll's debut. He was one exceptional country bluesman with a finger picking style that many have tried to imitate. This one is special.

mjh_avalonblues.jpg

----------------

On 11/25/2003 3:51:59 PM Clipped and Shorn wrote:

Who really cares what anybody else listens to, I don't get this.

C&S

----------------

I get it big time. Many of my most interesting experiences start with a friend saying, "Hey, Check this out".

On the other hand, in the south, where I'm from (notice the lack of dipthongs), many a horrible death begins with those same words.

Thanks to garymd, Allan Songer, Mobile Homeless, John Albright... I've discovered some pretty cool music just because they listed their music choices.

forrest

Mississippi John Hurt was speacial. And a genuine nice person as well I am told.

For anyone not knowing where to listen to alternative and other music, needs to check out:

http://www.kexp.org

Online radio. Very cool, we even like this in Georgia.

Caution - this could offend some sensibilities.

Marvel