Most impressive deput LP ever?

Allan Songer

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3DZapper, there is a whole wide world of underground indie label stuff that many remain completely clueless about. These bands kept vinyl alive all through the 80s and 90s. Every time I see this NO MUSIC SINCE 1990 line, I have to chuckle...or is that sigh. I have what would fill a wall of vinyl from bands from the 80s thru the 90s. There were more independent record labels than commercial ones. The whole genre got so big that corporate clowns took the bait and tried to market it as "alternative" with a host of the more bubblegum variety alternative that started cropping up on MTV and Top 40 radio. But the underground music scene, supported by the huge network of college stations, was REALLY thriving all through the 80s vapid dark ages in culture on thru the 90s.

kh

I love going through the reviews of indie music that is covered in Tape Op. If you do recording at all, it is a great mag to get. People still release albums done on 4 track cassette decks. Or cheap digital decks. Or Reel to Reels. Unbelievable! And they are making money at it.

Marvel

Probably true Kelly. But in those intervening years I became old and set in my ways. Comfortable like an old couch. I have been expanding my listening here lately with stuff from the thirties through fifties and the eighteenth century. I'm just backwards I guess. My favorite group locally (although they travel quite a bit) is Steve Smith and the Nakeds (Formerly Naked Truth). A bluesy Kool and the Gang type of sound. Of course I've known Steve for thirty odd years so I might be prejudiced. I listen to Chuck Mangione a lot, he's done some good stuff since the eighties and Kenny G. I was more making a generalized statement about pop.

Rick

3D you zapped me with that Kenny G! Say it aint so! heh...

kh

ps- Marvel, yes... the stuff done on 4 tracks is amazing and with VERY simple mixes. There was also a huge LO-FI uprising that seemed to have way more musical value than the average pop pap. Top 40 died so long ago. Bands like Guided By Voices, PAvement, Lou Barlow, Sebadoh, and even the somewhat popular Liz Phair brought back simplicity in the recording. The music became much more intimate as well with bedroom recorded 4 tracks coming out on vinyl. This allowed people like Nick Drake (lone gone unfortunately) to make it back in the limelight...of course, that VW commercial didnt hurt.

----------------

On 11/20/2003 2:38:28 PM Marvel wrote:

Maura O'Connell / Helpless Heart

Produced by Bela Fleck

Awesome music. (oops --1989)

Maura O'Connell / Blue is the color of hope

Produced by Jerry Douglas

"Still hurts sometimes" is rockin'

Marvel

----------------

Marvel

Saw Maura O'Connell here in Los Angeles (McCabes) earlier this year. One of the best female pure vocal performances I've ever heard. IMHO right up there with the best I've been lucky enough to hear (Kathy Battle, Dianne Reeves, Cassandra Wilson, Emmylou, Bette Midler) . Sure wish her stuff was available on vinyl or hi-rez digital.

Chris

----------------

On 11/20/2003 1:49:55 PM dougdrake wrote:

Anyone here buy any music made since 1990?
9.gif

----------------

Guitarist Robert Tye's first offering, 'Virtues of the Well' displayed his abilities as a skilled musician. I've seen him perform locally numerous times as a solo and guest artist and was never dissappointed. His latest Oct 2003 release 'Living' is certainly worth checking out. Got a complementary copy from his brother, but would have bought it!

Robert Tye

Virtues Of The Well - 1999 Living - 2003

Robert%20Tye.jpgLiving.jpg

I put on my LP of "Page One" by Joe Henderson as per Allan's reminder. Jazz players are great in their idiom, however, as I listen to the first tune "Blue Bossa" I cannot help but cringe at how badly Pete La Roca totally screws up the groove. Like so many jazz drummers who are lazy about learning the intricacies of real latin rhythms, he makes an embarrassing mess out this as so many uninformed jazz drummers do. How hard is it to listen to some authentic Brazillian music and get a clue? He ruins this tune for me. Almost wished I didn't have such a good audio system. I hate the way some jazz drummers try to fake their way through these rhythms. Incomplete ears in my book. They should stick to their swing and cool cymbal rides and brushwork.

C&S

I think Pete LaRoca is TOTALLY out of his element here too. The Henderson/Dorham LPs that followed in the next year and a half used Elvin Jones on drums and the difference is huge. But LaRoca's drumming doesn't ruin "Page One" for me--it's still a SPECTACULAR debut from a true giant of the tenor saxophone.

----------------

On 11/20/2003 11:25:28 AM garymd wrote:

Good selection Rick. There are too many to name. Many groups best lps were their first. If you want commercial successes, how about Boston?

----------------

Boston gets my vote!

they were one of my favorite bands of all time.

got to see barry goudreau and brad delp w/RTZ at tipatina's in new orleans.

anyone else heard or owns R.T.Z. 'return to zero'?

avman.

I agree, It doesn't ruin the album. But for my "percussion" ears, he, as you say, sounds out of his element or maybe having a bad day or something. I noticed he messes up "Recorda-Me" for me as well. I seem to recall a postive feeling about this drummer on some classic Sonny Rollins LP, you know the one.

We were honored a few years back to have Joe Henderson play a concert up here in our little community. Mel Graves runs the jazz dept. at SSC and played with Joe along with several other local luminaries. Good gig.

C&S

----------------

On 11/20/2003 4:15:27 PM garymd wrote:

How about artists whose ONLY good (or successful) lp was their first. Like Alanis Morriset. Jagged Little Pill was a huge success but the rest of her stuff just crapped out.

----------------

Busted again!! Morrisette put out a handful of bubblegum albums under the name Alanis before changing formulae. Mainly Canadian sales, I believe. She did the mall thing like Tiffany.

ChrisK,

Don't know if you get to San Diego, but a friend of mine that I used to tour with runs a jazz club called Dizzy's. No bar, so no two drink minimum of high priced drinks to get the cost up. Just a nominal cover charge and good music. You can check out the schedule here:

http://www.dizzyssandiego.com/

Even gonna have Mose Allison there next Spring. A lot of great local jazz artists.

Marvel