Most impressive deput LP ever?

Allan Songer

Here is my nomination.

joe%20henderson.jpg

Just listened to this one last night for about the 1000th time in the last 25 years and even though it's as familiar as my own skin this LP still blows my mind. I can't think of a more impressive debut album--Joe Henderson arrived on the scene pretty much fully developed and BURSTING with creativity and energy--influenced by both Rollins and Coltrane for sure, but distinct.Henderson and Kenny Dorham had been fronting a working quintet in the months leading up to this session and the familiarity shows. The compostions (including the original versions of Dorham's "Blue Bossa" and Henderson's "Recorda Me") are superb, the soloing incredible (McCoy Tyner is SUPERB)and the recording is one of RVG's best. If you don't own this album, it's available for about $11 just about everywhere on CD.

post-3408-13819250207118_thumb.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good question Allan - hmmmm ..... needs some thought.

Not being a Jazz fan I would probably go for Tracy Chapman - which I still listen to often.

Was Jennifer Warnes Famous Blue Raincoat her debut? I love that album.

Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells? God I have no idea what was, and wasnt, a debut - my brain is fried.

Needs more thought that I thought.

I'll come back to this TTFN!

"Famous Blue Raincoat"? Good stuff, but not even close to her debut. Take a look at her bio at allmusic.com.

My knee-jerk reaction to best debut album would be Crack the Sky's eponymous album (recently reissued on CD with bonus tracks).

CtS.jpg

Runner up? Probably Dire Straits (also self titled. Coincidence? I think not...)

Some of my favorite debuts are:

King Crimson - "In The Court Of The Crimson King"

Jimi Hendrix Experience - "Are You Experienced?"

Jeff Beck - "Truth"

Led Zeppelin - "Led Zeppelin"

Traffic - "Mr. Fantasy"

Dave Mason - "Alone Together"

Family - "Music In A Doll's House"

--------------------------------------------------------

Rick,

By the way, "Abraxas" was Santana's 2nd release, "Live At The Fillmore" was The Allman Brothers' 3rd release, and "John Barleycorn" was Traffic's 4th release.

Ed Hurdle

HeavyDistortion

I apologize in advance for being the self-appointed Debut Police, but let's be careful out there, OK?

According to Allmusic:

Traffic's debut was Mr. Fantasy in 1967.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDMISS70311130753043123&sql=A0vfrxqugldse

and Santana's first album, interestingly, was Santana (1969).

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDMISS70311130753043123&sql=Ajbfixqt5ldje

Chicago Transit Authority is a good candidate!

I'll defer comment on Led Zepplin <1> :-)

Just as a sort of strawman, would anyone cast a vote for the Beatles' famous first album (released in the US on VeeJay records), that was recorded in almost real time? The one with I Saw Her Standing There, etc. The VeeJay release was called "Introducing the Beatles". I think Capitol later released it as The Early Beatles, and only much later, in complete form, as Please, Please Me, which was its original identity.

I nominate George Benson's 1964 debut album - The New Boss Guitar of George Benson. He was in his early twenties, but had already established himself as a respected sideman. Here he's joined by Jack McDuff's crew and displays the trademark sound he's known for today. This release produced three well acknowledged hits; Shadow Dancers, Will you still be mine? & Rock-A-Bye. Also noteable is that McDuff plays piano on the "Easy Living" track.

George%20Benson.gif

"IIRC Steve Winwood did indeed play all the instruments on one or more of his later solo albums (e.g., Arc of a Diver)."

Mark,

You are correct, Steve Winwood does play all of the instruments on "Arc Of A Diver". Also, he plays most of the instruments on Traffic's "John Barleycorn", which was intended to be his first solo LP, until late in the recording sessions, at which time he brought in Jim Capaldi and Chris Wood, which turned it into a Traffic release.

Ed Hurdle

HeavyDistortion

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/20/2003 9:44:27 AM Allan Songer wrote:

Here is my nomination.

joe%20henderson.jpg"

Just listened to this one last night for about the 1000th time in the last 25 years and even though it's as familiar as my own skin this LP still blows my mind. I can't think of a more impressive debut album--Joe Henderson arrived on the scene pretty much fully developed and BURSTING with creativity and energy--influenced by both Rollins and Coltrane for sure, but distinct.Henderson and Kenny Dorham had been fronting a working quintet in the months leading up to this session and the familiarity shows. The compostions (including the original versions of Dorham's "Blue Bossa" and Henderson's "Recorda Me") are superb, the soloing incredible (McCoy Tyner is SUPERB)and the recording is one of RVG's best. If you don't own this album, it's available for about $11 just about everywhere on CD.
----------------

How bout Carol King Tapestry

Cat Stevens Tea for The Tillerman

Cream Cream

11.gif

"How bout Carol King Tapestry

Cat Stevens Tea for The Tillerman

Cream Cream"

I don't mean to keep being a pain, but here are a few more corrections: Carole King's 1st release was "Writer", "Tapestry" was her 2nd; "Matthew And Son" was Cat Stevens' 1st LP, and "Tea For The Tillerman" was his 4th, and 2nd on A&M, just after "Mona Bone Jakon". Also, Cream's debut LP was entitled "Fresh Cream".

Ed Hurdle

HeavyDistortion

I didn't think this was about the best debut album since 1990, but if you wan't my opinion:

James%20Carter1.jpg

James Carter, "On the Set" 1993

Like Henderson 30 years previous, Carter burst onto the scene with his own sound, part Gene Ammons, part Coltrane, part David Murray, but UNIQUE.

Killer album--don't know if it is still in print . . .

post-3408-13819250207458_thumb.jpg

Ok - I'll try to go by decade: (I won't put in Album/CD names to keep the debut police at bay)

60s - Hendrix

70s - Patrick Moraz and/or Tommy Bolin

80s - Collective Soul

90s - Ben Harper (not sure his debut was in 90s, but close)

00s - Luce (a wonderful group of young men from San Francisco)

There is my small list - I can be swayed by other's lists - my memory suffers due to age and a well spent youth...

"Anyone here buy any music made since 1990?"

Has anyone made any music since 1990? Pop today is back scratched rap crap. The only good new stuff are Broadway shows and on the "new" country genere. (And real men don't do Broadway shows.) Everything else is rerelease, remix or recover.

They wonder why music industry sales are down. The only new releases I've bought in years are by the likes of Alan Jackson and Garth.

Rick

Edit: Oh yea, I bought a Norah Jones DVD a few months back. It's still in the plastic.