Most impressive deput LP ever?

Allan Songer

----------------

On 11/22/2003 11:42:24 AM rf3iicrazy wrote:

----------------

On 11/20/2003 3:03:50 PM mobile homeless wrote:

3DZapper, there is a whole wide world of underground indie label stuff that many remain completely clueless about. These bands kept vinyl alive all through the 80s and 90s. Every time I see this NO MUSIC SINCE 1990 line, I have to chuckle...or is that sigh. I have what would fill a wall of vinyl from bands from the 80s thru the 90s. There were more independent record labels than commercial ones. The whole genre got so big that corporate clowns took the bait and tried to market it as "alternative" with a host of the more bubblegum variety alternative that started cropping up on MTV and Top 40 radio. But the underground music scene, supported by the huge network of college stations, was REALLY thriving all through the 80s vapid dark ages in culture on thru the 90s.

kh

----------------

Kelly,

I have to chime in on this underground stuff. Thats just the problem its under the ground. I have no other outlets available to me other then radio to keep me abreast of whats out there, and all current is crap. Unfortunatlety what one calls mainstream is all I get to here.

There is a record shop in my neck of the woods that is known for carrying indie labels, I gone, seeked and searched for new stuff, but the time required finding what ya like, as in listening to sample cuts on there head phones is emence. So I buy what I know. I end up reverting to classic bands of mostly the 70's, some 60's, love that sound, that was rock at its best.

Tom

----------------

We have a couple radio stations that play the so-called underground music and I have to agree with Tom that during that period there was very little that interested me from what I heard. Towson University's station plays today's underground music. I listen to it in the car but it's hit or miss. I wouldn't know where to buy the stuff if I did like it. I'm sure I could find out if I wanted but.......2.gif

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite place to buy CDs is Elderly Music

http://www.elderly.com

They sell guitars and other great stuff. They don't have that Fahey album listed, but do have the following:

After the Ball -- 1973 $12.50

Best of the Vanguard Years - $13.95

City of Refuge -- $16.50

God, Time and Causality --$15.50

Legend of Blind Joe Death -- $19.25

Of Rivers and Religion -- $12.50

Old Fashioned Love -- $15.50

Red Cross -- 2003 just before his death $16.50

The Essential -- $13.50

Have a couple of videos as well.

I learned some of my first slide guitar from listening to Fahey.

Marvel

There are simply too many great firsts for me to pick just one.

Funny how if something makes it to the radio, it's "Bubble Gum" -- but if it's "underground" it's somehow the stuff to listen too. Don't forget that the cut that makes it to the radio is just ONE song. Typically, it's not always the best song from the release.

I've listened to some of the Indie stuff that's out on the net and I think I'll pass. To call Mudvayne, Disturbed, StoneSour, Staind, Good Charlotte, Chevelle, Kutless, 3 Doors Down, Deftones, Bizkit, Sevendust, Cold, Puddle of Mud, and about a dozen or so other bands that kick absolute *** -- "bubble gum" -- is pretty laughable. I find it especially funny since ALL these bands -- every single one of them -- are in fact from the Indie Movement. In fact, "Alternative" is Indie -- gone mainstream.

Different strokes for different folks is what it boils down to I guess.

I think just about any half decent band would sound good or at least better through Heritage Klipsch speakers given the right amp to go with it.

Anyone care to dispute that statement?

----------------

On 11/23/2003 1:05:59 AM Allan Songer wrote:

I must admit I know NONE of the bands you just listed!

But then you probably have never heard a Joe Henderson record either.

How the hell could Klipsch and tubes work for both?

----------------

----------------

On 11/23/2003 1:38:10 AM tombjr wrote:

Different strokes for different folks is what it boils down to I guess.

I think just about any half decent band would sound good or at least better through Heritage Klipsch speakers given the right amp to go with it.

Anyone care to dipute that?

----------------

----------------

----------------

Oh Ya! La Scala's + MarkIII's + Good Old Fashion Rock & Roll = Wet Shorts!!3.gif

Tom

Dean,

Good list of bands there.

Synthfreek-Yngwie Malmsteen is an amazing guitarist,I have most of his stuff both new and old and really like his style.

Back to the subject at hand-

My vote for most impressive debut lp would have to be Van Halen 1

(VH S/T).

Just an amazing album through and through.I was 11 years old when I got this album and nothing has shaped the way I look at new bands more than VH,they are my measuring stick.

Although my favorite VH album is Fair Warning anything from the original lineup is worth a listen.I like Sammy Hagar but not enough hard stuff and too many sappy love songs for me.

Jeff

Jeff,

That is a great album many fond memories of the year it was released. I had a good friend over not long ago and I have perfect copy of that on LP. I sat him down and blew his socks off ! He said man you would think we were front row center again ! We went to the VH concert together for this tour !

Craig

I would have to agree. VanHalen 1 and Fair Warning are two of the all time greatest albums ever for sure.

But then again, I am biased since I grew up in Pasadena, CA. I had the fortunate opportunity to see Mammoth (name prior to VH) and Vanhalen at local back yard parties, "The Rainbow", Pasadena Civic Auditorium etc. many, many times before they cut VH1.

When I was in boot camp for the USAF in March of 1978 I told all my buddies about Vanhalen. They were like, "who?". By the time we left San Antonio I had half of Lackland AFB hooked on Vanhalen. Including my training instructor (TI). The word spread from there as it did worldwide.

----------------

On 11/23/2003 10:44:21 AM JCturboT wrote:

Dean,

Good list of bands there.

Synthfreek-Yngwie Malmsteen is an amazing guitarist,I have most of his stuff both new and old and really like his style.

Back to the subject at hand-

My vote for most impressive debut lp would have to be Van Halen 1

(VH S/T).

Just an amazing album through and through.I was 11 years old when I got this album and nothing has shaped the way I look at new bands more than VH,they are my measuring stick.

Although my favorite VH album is Fair Warning anything from the original lineup is worth a listen.I like Sammy Hagar but not enough hard stuff and too many sappy love songs for me.

Jeff

----------------

----------------

----------------

I have heard plenty of both. I am awed by Joe in the same way as by Coltrane.

However - Puddle of Mud is a darn good sound. Yep, sophomoric lyrics at time, but all in good fun and well structured.

I continue to be looking for new folks willing to make me smile or think with their music. It is interesting that I can get the same grin from The Nutcracker Suite, Manneheim Steamroller, Coltrane, Joplin, Aretha, John Prine, Waylon Jennings, Styx, Puddle of Mudd, Sonia Dada, Liz Story, etc. They all seem to sound good on my electronics

2.gif

Wow, not sure how I could forget this one...

The Moody Blues- Days of Future Passed (this WAS the first Moodies album with the inclusion of Justin Hayward and John Lodge and is a MUCH different band than when Denny Laine was a part of the group). So, in that regard, I would consider this a 'debut' album and certainly one of the most influential progressive rock albums of all time, infusing classical music and rock. Definitely a must have in any collection, IMHO...

Regards,

Dave

Wow to name a few led zeppelin, metallica kill em all with out a doubt had great impact on me, black sabbath,ccr, tom petty, pearl jam ten they do not have the chemistry anymore, ac/dc (bon scott) oih!, Jimi hendrex, love the yardbirds, iam sure i would name some jazz but i dont have any and i don't know any off the top of my head. But when i hear jazz through my klipsch's i am in awe when it is played on the radio. Can not forget guns and roses appetite for destruction, tesla mechanical renosance. I would say metallica kill em all hands down. If it would be favorate album it would be different but it is favorite debut. Their are so many bands that are good like the beatles, elton john, accept, stevie ray vaughn, america, the guess who, rolling stones, chris cornell is outstanding but none of his debuts qualify for best. Let's not forget hank williams senior, waylon jennings, elvis presly, eric johnson, joe satriani, the tragically hip, a killer debut is big wreck in loving memory of. Lynrd skynrd debut is close to the top. zztopp oh yeah! Metallica wins in the long run with zep a close behind.11.gif

As I listen to Chicago Transit Authority (as I do usually a few times a year), I wonder what the hell happened to this band. Their first couple LPs are fantastic, and then they become the poster child for awful Adult Contemporary Music, and Peter Cetera the king of said format. I know one of the band members died (suicide maybe), but man, they became horrid.

Amazingly enough, I was coerced by my wife to see Alanis Morisette after her second CD, and she was really, really good. Some excellent heavy jams, and even her Jagged Little Pill stuff was played with more intensity and much heavier than the radio versions. I think between her first and second CDs she discovered mushrooms and Physical Grafitti. Best example is "Uninvited" off of the City of Angles soundtrack (in HDCD!), Zep couldn't have done it better. And that's saying a lot.

----------------

On 11/24/2003 10:00:05 AM dgb wrote:

Amazingly enough, I was coerced by my wife to see Alanis Morisette after her second CD, and she was really, really good. Some excellent heavy jams, and even her Jagged Little Pill stuff was played with more intensity and much heavier than the radio versions. I think between her first and second CDs she discovered mushrooms and Physical Grafitti. Best example is "Uninvited" off of the City of Angles soundtrack (in HDCD!), Zep couldn't have done it better. And that's saying a lot.

----------------

isn't it ironic? don't you think?

Dean is that list serious? Are you 14? That "dirt rock" stuff is terrible. That's the kind of so-called metal I love making funk of. When I worked in record stores we would say the following quote to those stoner mallrat kids and watch them actually buy it. Must say in a heavy southern accent--->"Man, you heard dat new Godsmack? That damn singer dude sounds just like Alice In Chains. He goes YEEEAAAHHHHH!" I'm just messin' around...no hard feelings.

Speaking of Physical Graffiti. Led Zeps album of the same name is awesome on Heritage Klipsch. Especially "Ten Years Gone, The Rover, Custard Pie, Kashmir" etc.. Ahh the memories of the 70's

----------------

On 11/24/2003 10:00:05 AM dgb wrote:

----------------