Pixies-Come On Pilgrim

Bikini Kill-The First Two Records

The Orb-Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld

Global Communication-76:14

The Clash-The Clash

Chicks On Speed-Will Save Us All

Le Tigre-Le Tigre

The Breeders-Pod

Klipsch Speakers-Should Never Play Kenny G.

Mazzy Star-She Hangs Brightly

The Moldy Peaches-The Moldy Peaches

Yngwie Malmsteen-Rising Force

John Fahey-Blind Joe Death

The Irresistible Force-Flying High

A Positive Life-Synaesthetic

Nick Drake-Five Leaves Left

Public Enemy-Yo! Bum Rush The Show

Run DMC-Run DMC

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

It was a toss up.

Neil's first is very good.

But CSN paved the way for the Eagles, Poco, America and others to start a new genre.

Suite Judy Blue Eyes

Wooden Ships

Guinevere

4+20

For some reason Marakesh Express has paled over the years.

I like jazz, but I am very much in awe of 3 and 4 part harmony and good lyrics.

----------------

On 11/20/2003 6:25:17 PM Marvel wrote:

ChrisK,

Don't know if you get to San Diego, but a friend of mine that I used to tour with runs a jazz club called Dizzy's. No bar, so no two drink minimum of high priced drinks to get the cost up. Just a nominal cover charge and good music. You can check out the schedule here:

Even gonna have Mose Allison there next Spring. A lot of great local jazz artists.

Marvel
----------------

Marvel,

Sounds like a great club. Saw on their schedule that Kristin Korb is going to be there next month. She was one of Ray Brown's final proteges and a pretty good singer to boot. She has played quite a bit at Sangria in Hermosa Beach.

Chris

----------------

On 11/21/2003 9:34:08 AM Allan Songer wrote:

----------------

On 11/21/2003 8:43:09 AM sunnysal wrote:

elvis costello - my aim is true

----------------

Perhaps the nastiest love song ever penned.

You're right--remarkable debut.

----------------

And he is ALL over the place now, doing the talk show circuit, and hanging with the lovely Diana Krall. I guess it's true what they say about musicians - look at that pairing, and Julia Roberts and Lyle Lovett (and Kid Rock and PA, and TL and PA, and ____ and PA).

Forgot to mention Richard Thompson. There is a depressing humour in most of his material. Beeswing probably being the most popular and famous of his songs.

Marvel

ps ween is bit too strange for me.

Anybody remember the Fugs?

----------------

...Steve Winwood does play all of the instruments on "Arc Of A Diver". Also, he plays most of the instruments on Traffic's "John Barleycorn", which was intended to be his first solo LP, until late in the recording sessions, at which time he brought in Jim Capaldi and Chris Wood, which turned it into a Traffic release.

----------------

Announced today. Traffic is a 2004 inductee into the R&RHOF.

The Fugs!

When I was in the seventh grade the older kid next door went off to Viet Nam and came back in a pine box. Before he left he let me and my sister "take care" of his LPs while he was gone. I still have many of them, including this one with the classic line:

"After the prom and you don't have a scumbag?

"Saran Wrap, Saran Wrap."

Thanks Steve Santo for the memories and I hope you are resting in peace . . .

----------------

On 11/21/2003 10:29:25 AM Marvel wrote:

synthfreak,

Not a lot of people have heard of John Fahey.Wow! Tacoma Records.

LeTigre, huh? They record in their own space.

How about Koerner, Ray and GLover--? Blues Rags and Hollers?

Marvel
----------------

John Fahey is a staple around my house during Christmas/Chanukah time. In fact, I'm bidding on another album of his on eBay right now. Great stuff.

Chris

Allan,

"When I was in the seventh grade the older kid next door went off to Viet Nam and came back in a pine box. Before he left he let me and my sister "take care" of his LPs while he was gone."

They generally were transported in reusable aluminum coffins as i recall. Pretty indifferent way of treatment of the deceased.

What a waste of good young men in a clumsy 2nd effort to fight communism.

The aniversersery of the Berlin wall coming down in the past month was a reflection of this futile step in Vietnam.

The prosperity of an efficient consitutionally limited republic ultimately won out over comunism.

Good that you preserve the memory of this person through their music.

----------------

On 11/20/2003 3:03:50 PM mobile homeless wrote:

3DZapper, there is a whole wide world of underground indie label stuff that many remain completely clueless about. These bands kept vinyl alive all through the 80s and 90s. Every time I see this NO MUSIC SINCE 1990 line, I have to chuckle...or is that sigh. I have what would fill a wall of vinyl from bands from the 80s thru the 90s. There were more independent record labels than commercial ones. The whole genre got so big that corporate clowns took the bait and tried to market it as "alternative" with a host of the more bubblegum variety alternative that started cropping up on MTV and Top 40 radio. But the underground music scene, supported by the huge network of college stations, was REALLY thriving all through the 80s vapid dark ages in culture on thru the 90s.

kh

----------------

Kelly,

I have to chime in on this underground stuff. Thats just the problem its under the ground. I have no other outlets available to me other then radio to keep me abreast of whats out there, and all current is crap. Unfortunatlety what one calls mainstream is all I get to here.

There is a record shop in my neck of the woods that is known for carrying indie labels, I gone, seeked and searched for new stuff, but the time required finding what ya like, as in listening to sample cuts on there head phones is emence. So I buy what I know. I end up reverting to classic bands of mostly the 70's, some 60's, love that sound, that was rock at its best.

Tom