Fortes in the house.... heartbreak ensues.

Thoriated_Tiger

After nervously waiting for these, they arrive today. My concerns were cabinetery, drivers. All are intact, they actually survived UPS shipping.

I hook 'em up and... absolutely no highs. Quick check with multimeter shows open voicecoils on both tweeters 8.gif

So much for "Sound excellent" in the ebay writeup. 7.gif

I guess Klipsch Support will be getting a call from me. Two K-75 tweets, post-haste por favor.

And I was SO looking forward to Beethoven's 5th piano concerto on these tonight 7.gif

----------------

On 12/10/2003 8:27:30 PM Cut-Throat wrote:

NO don't do it. All you need is probably diaphrams. They can be repaired by simply speakers in Florida, where I had mine for my Belles done. Cost me about $70 for the pair!

YOu can do it yourself if you are really handy.

----------------

I'm handy, but I can't do a thing about open voicecoils.. I removed both tweets, did a continuity check (resistance, actually) and both tweets came up with a big 'ole open.

Now I wonder -- the prior owner -- did he/she run these THIS hard, hard enough to blow out both coils? Naah, pain would have ensued long before..

I think I just bought the victims of a catastrophic amp failure. 14.gif

Tiger

BUMMER..

The last set of Hereys I bought off ebay had blown K77 tweeters. The guy told me he used them every day and sounded great. He must have been deaf to miss the blown tweets!!

I bought my diagphrams from BEC here on the Forum. He may have them for your newer Tweets too. Very easy to replace.

JM

Nope, A big solid state amp will smoke those diaphrams rather quickly. And because the people that do it usually are stupid enough that they lost their hearing a long time ago, so it doesn't hurt as much.

The seller of my Belles (who was an idiot), did not even know that he did not have highs. He thought they sounded fine. Look up simply speakers in florida and give them a call tomorrow. they turned around my tweeters in about 10 days. The $70 included parts, labor and shipping!

Thanks to all that've responded.

I've never torn down a compression horn driver, I've never even seen a diagram of them, and I'm a little bit confused 1.gif

From reading the link provided here by a poster, it seems to me the voicecoil is an integral part of the diaphragm? That is, when I order the diaphragm, new voicecoils will come with them?

C'mon, throw me a bone here 2.gif

----------------

On 12/10/2003 9:55:02 PM Cut-Throat wrote:

No, the Diaphram is just a thin piece of resin coated fabric. That is all you need! - Trust us!----------------

I'm tryin', man.. I really am 1.gif What bums me out is the fact that my meter tells me there's an open on each tweeter. So the voicecoil themselves also need replacing..

I should be seeing *some* resistance, 6 or 8 or some kinda low-ish value, but all I'm getting is a big fat open.

A voicecoil is basically an inductor, wound with magnet wire. To actually melt the enamel off and cause a dead short -- would require a hell of a lot of heat for a long time. The liklihood of that happening is not really very good. The diaphragm has wires, with a plus side and minus side, and one of those very thin wires would burn through long before the voicecoil shorted -- probably from excessive clipping. Get new diaphagms and simply solder them back in and you're good to go. BTW -- the chance of BOTH coils being shorted is really rare. The fact that both aren't working also points to the diaphragms.

----------------

On 12/10/2003 10:42:23 PM NOSValves wrote:

I'll put the good word in for Bob Crites also. I have never bought speaker parts from him but have dealt on tube purchases he is a stand up guy for sure.

Craig

----------------

Another vote of confidence for Bob Crites from me. He repaired a blown Cornwall tweeter for me. Turnaround was 8 days, and he was really reasonable with his price.

Forrest