who is using HDTV

easylistener

----------------

On 12/10/2003 8:38:27 PM easylistener wrote:

I was just wondering how many of you are watching HDTV. I have been reading articles and they said they isn't enough demand and that is why they are behind. Everyone in my area is switching over. So are you?

----------------

The main problems that in HDTV isn't the resotution or the quality but the life expectency was so short

It's only half of the normal CRT/Trinitron/LCD's life(50000hrs for LCD vs 30000hrs for HDTV)

For it's price I would expect longer life for a such TV

At 30,000 hours that would be 4 years of 24 hour viewing

assuming you would watch an average of 8 hours that would be 10 years of viewing.

If you watch an average of 6 hours that would be around 13 years of viewing

That to me is a decent life span of a TV.

I doubt tubes would last 20 or 30 years.

I have HDTV through DTV. I love the 5 channels I get. That's the problem. Not enough channels yet. Also I had to spend about $700 on a reciever that would pick up the 5 channels. I imagine if one is on a tight budget then HDTV IS NOT an option at this time.

Open air HDTV will cost about 75% of that and recieve perhaps even fewer channels and only if you live in a suburb of a metro area.

dishnetwork satellite:

1-hbo

2-showtime

3-hdnet

4-hdnet movies

5-espn hd

6-discovery hd theater

7-pay-per-view

local digital hd:

1-cbs

2-nbc

3-abc

4-wb

5-upn

12 channels, and there were only 3 when i bought my stuff about 15 months ago.

looks AWESOME on my sony pj and 106"screen!!10.gif

avman9.gif

----------------

On 12/10/2003 10:10:30 PM Bruinsrme wrote:

Dan,

Over on hometheaterspot there is a fantastic that discusses Over The Air HDTV (OTA).

Good stuff and seems there are some very knowledgable people there.

Scott

----------------

Ya I know I have HDTV but I just thought I would ask who is using it now.

How are all of you getting it, Over the air, cable, dtv, dish?

I am getting mine over the air and through directv. They are offing some great deals right now if any of you guys are looking into. I just want more channels, like everyone else. Once you watch HDTV you will never want to watch normal tv agian.

I have about 8 channels in HD and anything in regular digital looks fantastic. Regular TV is so so depending on the feed. For instance fox news fox network almost looks close to HD to me.

But your also missing the point too. DVD's are incredible.. With my DVI interface nothing is lost and it looks and sounds incredible. The backlog on the popular DLP Samsung models is the amount of people wanting the bigger units..(Mine is a 61") people come over and go OMG now THAT is a High Def Picture...wow!!! Honey I want one too.

BTW, the light in the Samsung DLP-HDTV's is about 150 dollars to replace. 4 screws.. And you have a "new" HD TV. I have had NO problems.. Some say a rainbow effect maybe on the older models. Not so with the newer chips and I am extreemly happy. Is it expensive? You bet. Is is worth it? Well lets just say a normal family that loves the movies... At home not paying for movie tickets, soda pop, popcorn... Ok maybe I can't justify it.. But trust me.. It is!!

I recently upgraded to HDTV (OTA), but use a MyHD 120 for my HTPC & Sanyo PLV-Z1. I can get about 5 channels that I care about, but do to the location of my apartment, its difficult to get reception. However, I have to admit that I often come home and seach what is presented in HD and I really don't care about the "content".

My major complaint is that I can't get the Eagles in HD!!!! I really think that more Football games in HD would help things out significantly to speed the adoption of HD. I mean, just LOOOK at Monday Night Football and you WILL be in love with HDTV!!!!!

Now....I think i should climb up on my appartment's roof and place my antenna so I can get great reception!!!

-Dave

EasyListener, am I NO, am I set up enough to do so YES, do I care enough....NO, at the current cost(cable wise)or Sat., the cost\quality of Receivers for HDTV and the pic quality they put out....I pass. In all honesty, I'll wait....in time...2.gif

PS. Went from a 53" back to a tube (34"TW) 10.gif

I do agree it makes more of a differnce when big. Are you using the sony? I am suprised that you don't think there is a big differnce. You might want to take another look. It does cost some to get into it but to me it is worth it. If you have cable it should only cost 1.65 more for the box rental fee. I am glad to see you have a ws tv this helps.

I am looking at getting a simple OTA receiver and a UHF antennae to pull in local DT channels only (mine are all in the yellow zone).

I have found through forum searches the Radio Shack U-75R antennae and the Samsung SIR-T150 receiver as the units that I will compare all others to.

Let me know if you have used either of these or if you have others to add to the list.

Thanx,

LEEROY

I'm currently watching a 36" HD monitor listed in my signature. It's line doubling S-Vid inputs all the way around. At this point I'm not willing to shell out the bucks for HD sources. I've only got an 18" round dish up (Directv), so that would need an upgrade, plus the box. I got a screaming deal on the set ($898), but we bought a new CRV the same week, not to mention a new pair of shoes!! I think I can wait.