Music to trim the Christmas tree/Chanukah bush by...

ChrisK

...I know this gets asked every year. What are your favorite holiday music albums?

Being a mutli-cultural family, we celebrate Christmas, Chanukah, and a tradtional Japanese New Year. Last night a fire in the fireplace, candles burning, cookies in the oven and a bottle of nice Cab made for a great evening. Also, we listened to some great seasonal music. Some of what we heard -

Willie Nelson, "Pretty Paper" (vinyl) - great record, I never get enough of the Red-Headed Stranger.

John Fahey, "Christmas Guitar" & "New Possibility" (vinyl) - old standards, always sound great

Booker T & the MG's, "In the Christmas Spirit" (vinyl) - very cool record

Vince Guraldi Trio, "A Charlie Brown Christmas" (SACD, vinyl) - a classic, both formats sound great

The Three Tenors, "Three Tenors Christmas" (SACD) - great sound, needs to be played loud

Diana Krall, "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" (cd) - in spite of all the DK bashers, a really nice album

Tony Bennett/Charlotte Church/Placido Domingo/Vanessa Williams, "Our Favorite Things" (SACD) - surprisingly good

What Holiday records do you like to listen to?

Thanks,

Chris

Great choices although Im not sure which one is most appropraite for the Japanese New Year!

Ive been listening to most of that plus the Beach Boys Christmas Album (vinyl) which I picked up at used at Amoeba Records in Beserkly the other day. Nice album you gotta love" Little Saint Nick"

Josh

Here are a few of my personal favs. They aren't the best audio quality however, but great Chritmas music none the less.

Bing Crosby-Bing Crosby's Christmas Classics

Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr., Frank Sinatra-Christmas with the Rat Pack

Perry Como-Perry Como Sings Merry Christmas Music

Andy Williams-The Andy Williams Christmas Album

Elvis Presley-Elvis' Christmas Album

Beach Boys- Christmas Album

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL THE FORUM MEMBERS!

Sappy to some.... A childhood memory for most. But loved by all regardless of jazz leanings or not. Rating this on musical importance is surely not the point, however.

How can it be Christmas without the one jazz artist (besides Dave Brubeck), that is liked by almost EVERY LOON:

Vince Guaraldi.

Click on the below to go back in time for ye olde Charlie Brown Christmas MP3. I put these up long ago and almost forgot about them. Do I play this? Not too often but every Tom, Dick, and Larry that comes over at Christmas time after hearing I like Jazz blabbers, "Do you have that guy that does the Charlie Brown Christmas stuff?" LORDY.

I have to admit, the album cover makes me cringe a bit...

B000000XDJ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

By FAR, THE MOST POPULAR and REMEMBERED:

~ Linus and Lucy.mp3

And others following close behind...

~ Skating.mp3

~ O_Tannenbaum.mp3

That should be enough to tide any sane human over...till next christmas that is.

kh

OK.... I fixed the link to "O Tannenbaum". Redid below.

~ O_Tannenbaum.mp3

And I added this classic - As I was playing it, Audrey actually walked in and said, "Strange, it's the first time I felt like it was really Christmas."

I dont know whether that is bad or good... Lordy...

~ Guaraldi - Christmas Time Is Here (Instrumental).mp3

kh

The A Charlie Brown Christmas SACD is particularly good, as ChrisK mentioned earlier. The 1988 CD was overdue for a remaster, since the latest reissue is a SACD hybrid, it works with CDPs, too. One more to add below, click for a few audio snippets..

B00006AL6V.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Not sure what is going on with your system and/or media player(s) but I just went through ALL the links below and each comes up fine. I might have suggested you accessed the server when it was down briefly... except for the fact that these MP3 are on TWO completely different servers.

Give them a try again. The sound quality is pretty good for the lowly MP3 but one is rewarded if their computer setup is running to a tube system with some nice speakers.

Vince Guaraldi is up and running below - all are 128kbs MP3:

~ Linus and Lucy.mp3

~ Guaraldi - Christmas Time Is Here (Instrumental).mp3

~ Skating.mp3

~ O_Tannenbaum.mp3

kh

----------------

On 12/12/2003 3:54:29 PM Clipped and Shorn wrote:

time machine back to Pleasantville!

Leroy Anderson mono Hi-Fi LPs on mint Deccas.

you don't know what you are missing.

c7s

----------------

Mmm, I like the mint ones, too.

I am the number one Klipschaholic Christmas music expert. Self appointed of course.

And anyone who disagrees with me will find a shattered Telefunken 12AX7 in the bottom their stocking Christmas morning where you normally find your chocolate!

This years stellar recomendations are as follows:

Anonymous 4 "Wolcum Yule"

Celtic and british songs and carols on Harmonia Mundi

Karjan "The Christams concert" with the Berlin Philharmonic on Duetsch Gramophone

remastered from the 1970s

For neophytes.....

If you do not own a CD from one of these 2 music publishers, you missout on the best 16 bit red book CD can accomplish.

ENJOY

And for the less serious times try DR. DEMENTO

HO HO HO